Road Trip from Navi Mumbai to Alleppey !!

Thread Starter #22
TAIns sorry for this late update.

Autosafari and all others thanks a ton for the route u had specified, it was fun driving down south.
I think every body planning to go to kerala ie say upto alleppey or further south can follow this routeas specified by @autosafari the roads were very very good and you can relax and drive as the route is a one way uptill walayar checkpost ie entry kerala border. then I think from walayar till trishur its 2 way and from trichur to ernakulam its 1 way once again then from ernakulam till alleppey its 2 way again. Some road repair work and widening work was on at selam in the month of march 2012 but they were progressing pretty fast kudos to tamilnadu govt for the road development thats happening.
But the bad part is you end up paying a toll of around 1500 rs approx from mumbai pune highway till kerala. Thanks to some political dadagiri in kerala we were diverted from a beautifully made 4 or 6 lane road to a tiny road somewere close to trichur toll naka. I feel the toll enroute is maximum in maharashtra and karnataka, but in karnataka i felt the roads are decently maintained, so its worth.

I took a pit stop at bangalore hosur main road , the hotel was Grand krishna, pretty decent to stay and the rent was also good. attached issrikrishna group. pls dont go inside bangalore city and take nice road to avoid city traffic.

But you end up doing something close to 200 odd kms extra. But i think that is worth. Once in Kerala you have a chaotic traffic scenario. Some drivers simply refuse to let you pass. So keep your anger in check
SAfe motoring [drive].

Hi teamsachinf1,

How is the road condition till Hubli, I will be travelling on same route till Hubli.
Can you re-collect how much time it took you to reach Hubli?

Regards,

Thread Starter #26
@ droidcar I started early in the morning at around 0630 hrs from Kharghar, Navi Mumbai and I reached Hubli at around 1630 or 1700 hrs on the same day. The road condition was good enroute except some road repair/widening work which was being carried out along Hubli stretch. Am sorry if I am wrong, as I lost the booklet in which I had noted down the details.
But trust me the roads are very good, and the only thing you should be careful of over-speeding.

I am also interested to know this.

Last time we were travelling without any stay since there was an expert driver.

This time I am planning to drive myself and intend to drive only during day time.
follow Nh4-hasslefree drive; from Tumkur take outer bye-pass to Hosur and u can take night halt at TTDC Hosur. Continue in the morning via Salem - Namakkal - Dindikkal (up to here 4 lane) -Theni - Kambam - Kumili - take KK road - before Kottayam take left to Changanassery and then to Alleppey. Roads are good and more safe to drive.

This is a late update.. but may come handy for those who read for reference.. Road from trichur to cherthala(20 Kms before alpy) are 4 lane.. but dont try to raise your speed.. this route is now treated as model highway and there are cam's(maintained by RTO's) everywhere.. you need to check your speeds below 70 !

When ever you see a signal turning orange.. don't rush.. there are cam's there too ...

In addition to these, there are interceptor's in eranakulam and alleppey route..

Gentlemen hows the state of the mumbai - bangalore highway now ? anyone been recently ?
Been on this highway last week.

Its generally in a good state.

Six lane work going on in some areas but without any disruption to traffic except on a stretch between Chitradurga to Tumkur. In this stretch a nice road has been cut off and there are several divertions through the service roads and these service roads are not maintained properly.

Between Belgaum and Hubli there is a two line stretch.

Also watch for speed breakers near Hubli.

If you are driving at night, indications are deceiving. There are indicators on the road and you slow down and find out there is no speed breaker. Its repeated again within 1 km. You ignore the indicator for the third time and you end up in a stupid hump (made in a crude way). Many times speed breakers appear without any indication also. This stupidity is seen in a stretch of about 40 km near Hubli in Karnataka.

As usual watch out for vehicles, cattles, bullock carts etc on your wrong side that too in fast lane.

Last edited:

Top Bottom