Road Rage and a Confession

Thread Starter #1
I have never tasted meat. I believe that for an animal to become food on the plate involves pain. And so I don't eat cause I don't want to hurt it. I say this because i want to share with you something I did the other day that is against everything that I believe in.

I live in a crowded city. And it is only getting crowder each day. And as the city and it's roads are getting full, people have lesser and lesser place for themselves. In other words, more and more people are sharing the same place. And this congestion is making people do things that degrade respect and value for each other.

The other day, I was returning from my office. I drive a motorbike. In my job, i have to deal with a few boneheads. And that day was particularly difficult as there was a yelling match with one of them in the office. I was tired and was just looking forward to a good meal and a good sleep.

On my way home, I reached a particularly busy stretch of road that was not illuminated adequately. Now this road, i took a billion times because my schooling was in that area. My speed was around 35 kph, it was around 8:30 pm and I just overtook an rtc bus from right. From no where came this middle aged Individual onto road. He was smack right in front of me.

I begin my evasive maneuvers. First, I cut left (remember, there is a bus right behind me, like within 2-3 meters) and this guy steps forward. And then I cut right, and this guy steps backward, blocking my way. Finally, with little more than a meter to spare, i cut left again and he steps forward, again. And then I don't do anything and go right through him. He gets hit, but does not fall down because he is not that old and also because I am not driving at break neck speed. I look back but don't even stop.

I spent a lot of time thinking about it later. And I realized a couple of things. Firstly, while I did attempt to get him out of my way, I realized that I did not slam on the brakes. For some reason, I did not want to stop there, even if it meant hurting him. And secondly, there were no zebra crossings on that road for over a kilometer there (it was a one way). If I were in his place, I would have had to cross the road there, risking my life (which was what he did).

Although he might not be injured, I do carry with me this burden. On the one hand, I have this feeling that I did something wrong, and on the other, I feel like I did not have a choice (the long commute, the brutal race to get an inch of space, and the fatigue).

And so, I share it with you in this box.

Re: Confession box

No one is to be blamed here.
you took your path ,
the man suffered due to no proper crossing as in other countries. Its common all over in india , people crossing/walking in roads often / regular

Sit with a European , you will understand this better.

I did and he did brake on slightest sight of a pedestrian in road and was afraid to the core.

Another thing, after you hit , you cant stop to help him , even you wish.
There are morons who are present in each mm in this country , who try to make money out of it.
First they hit you for no reason and there after it continues.

So its not wrong for you to drive on from that scene.
Also you were in slow speed in a congested road.
You didnt run over him. , Even his bone cant be broken imagining your situation in a well crowded street.
Reflex action - your legs will be on brakes on panic situation.

If you are that particular - report to police station in that area. They are also morons who make money out of this!

mate what you did was wrong. you should have stopped on the scene. even if he wasn't injured you should have asked him if he was okay if not taken him to a govt hospital. think if he was your father and if some body hit him with a vehicle and didn't stop.you were tired and returning home may be frustated over some thing. the man whom you hit may also have been returning home after a frustating day, his wife may have been in hospital. no body will knowingly jump in front of a vehicle.( except for committing suicide, for which no one will select a bike ).if all of us using the road try to slip away from an accident site what will happen if we ourselves are injured and lying helpless on the roadside.in kerala thats one thing thats encouraging. there are lots of people ready to take you to a hospital in case of an accident.the on lookers are helping people even before the police or the fireforce have arrived.
i feel what you did was on the spur of the moment and later regretted it, hence the confession. and mate what happened is irreversible and the second thing that you did wrong was confessing in a public forum. you can be traced very easily by the police if need be.

This can happen and I dont think anyone does it on purpose or anything nor do I blame you for the accident. But I guess you should have stopped. There might be a possibility of people attacking you in such a situation. And if there was a chance for a mob reaction, Then you could have gone to the nearest police station and reported the incident.

Like smooth rider said, How would you feel if this happened to you or to one of your parents?[confused]

And I have gone through two similar incidents(No injuries in both cases) and both the times, I stopped and took the person to a hospital and made sure he was okay and payed the check up and x-ray bills myself.

P.S: Always keep a list of Emergency numbers in person- Police Helpline and the likes. You never know when you might need it.

AT 35 speed you could easily had stopped the car without problem . But main thing is if a person is ok but had taken minor injuries then Good thing you didn't stopped people are here freak . Instead first seeing what's situation they start yelling at you because you own bigger stuff .
that's my own thoughts

only me and my angels know pain i am going through since the accident (of my punto ).

couldn't blame anybody .maybe somebody jumped to road or truck driver tried to save an animal . i dont know. only thing i remember is that huge truck going on right lane suddenly maneuvered almost over me . my reflexes quickly pulled the steering left brakes,handbrakes BANG..!!! a flash of light.. for a moment i thought i am dead.

much thankfully.

such things keep keeps happening everywhere each moment only few , we notice or experience. neither guilt nor vengence does help.

just let it go.

@ Been there Well this happens everywhere around India , i wont blame you entirely. But surprised to see you din hit the brakes , as Ilango said first reflex action will always be to brake when somebody/thing comes in between.

Like others said maybe you could have stopped but myself i am afraid to stop even if the fault is not mine. I am young and still a student and people on road will always blame me saying" Student was driving rashly and hit him/her and if i decide to speak back everybody will be like "What you are a small boy and you are speaking back so much , first check whether he has licence"!![frustration]

Many time we see our self as a victim of this Road rage .Often we see people cut in, jumping in our lane at high speeds and then we have to brake hard do all the stunts just to save us and the other fellow from crash and its aftermath. But today i've to make confession that last night i was on the other side of that Rage . Following is the incident that will explain this.

Yesterday after fitting seat covers and sun film from Borivli i was going back home(thane) with my friend it was almost 11.30pm and was happily cruising @ 60-75kmph on Ghodbandar road . there are 2-3 sharp S turns on that stretch. I was still going on steady 65-70 kmph when i saw a truck slowly moving into my lane OR may be he was just driving near center line so i slowed down a bit and all of sudden a cab cuts into my lane there was hardly an inch gap between his car and my Ertiga. Now situation was me into rightmost lane , there is a heavy Truck (fully loaded) on center lane and cab between us [surprise] and all this on a Sharp Right turn . Braking hard was the only option left to me so i braked hard and manged to avoid him by hadrly an inch .

"SAALA G@#$$$ " i shouted (where my friend was sitting cool and calm ) , " This is not the way a cab should be driven , Its time to teach him a lesson Abhi Lets do this. "

With in 1/2 Second I downshifted from 5th to 2nd , RPM shot from 900 to 2000 and turbo kicked in . I felt the surge to catch that A@## W@@ Cab . Few meters later i was right on his tail YES i literally mean it. I turned on my High beam and started to honk rapidly . On other hand cab wala was not in a mood to pull over and he started to build up speed but Is there a way CNG cab can out run turbocharged 89bhp car with driver intend to teach him a lesson at any cost I dont think so, any ways this continued till next 3-4kms and soon Cab gave left signal and pulled over I was still in my Turbo mode full of anger . I parked my car right in front and in a position so that this guy dose not get a chance to get away.

Asked him reason for that deadly overtake in Pure Hindi including lots of beeps And soon i realized driver and passengers were badly shaken by my attitude and he quickly apologized for his overtake and told me that he misjudged Trucks speed and gap between my car and the truck and it was too late for him to do any thing so he overtook me . By this time my Turbo mode was gone and i came back to my senses . I too apologized and asked him to move .

Now i realized that How stupid, dangerous my act was ! It was very much possible for me to continue on same speed and may be catch him on next intersection where there is a signal , Or just let it go as we do on most of the occasion .

Now i've made promise to my self not to repeat this at any cost and also am going to kept a strict speed limits on me till i get off this Attitude [frustration]. This is not me and I wont do this again .

Last edited:
Such things have happened to me many times. But I never tend to follow them. If any how at my current speed I managed to get aside them, I just look at them and ask them in action what are trying to do. Most of the time they just get embarrassed and stop looking at me. It is good that you have understood your mistake. But could have cause mishap from which you, cab and truck were saved.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
this happens at times and that day you lost control but it's good that you experienced it and now you know you will never repeat it in any case [:)]

at times i'm frustrated by people moving in other lanes just to overtake , i think i won't break let him hit the car but yeah i too will have serious damage so not a good option.

@ Abhi,

First of all, I appreciate that you realized and confessed it and now ready to take a lesson out it. Believe me most of the people around do not even bother about it or feel ashamed to acknowledge. I appreciate your efforts as you have courage to admit. [clap]

Yes, people tend to lose patience at times and I am no different. I would have done the same if I was with my friend or would have swallowed the anger if with family. But it is not correct or right by any standard and I would also like to learn a lesson out of it.

Thanks for sharing.

I don't know if it works for everyone, but worked for me very well. It really frustrates and hurts me whenever someone don't follow the rules and cut into my lane abruptly with any indication. Especially trucks driving slower in right lane during peak hours, cars parked on the entire left lane. All I do is play soft music with chilled AC . This helps me to behave sane without indulging in any rage. Think or prepare yourself as a supercool driver and loves to tackle all hurdle in the road. Rage/anger in road is dangerous.

Thank You everyone for your replies , After above incident my Friend was also surprised to see me driving like this. He told me next time if you loose control over yourself just park the car no matter where ever you are and then only proceed when you've cooled down .

And he also made comment " Saale mast bhagaya, maja aagaya " ( You drove Superb , i enjoyed it . ) hehehehe. [:D]

Time can heal anything almost anything and maturity comes with age

If we are out in this world to change people's attitude its a real tough task more or less impossible , but the most easiest is to change our attitude and learn to be relaxed, because when you are relaxed people around you would feel happy & confident and won't be freaked out, this most of the times applies better when you are with your soul partner

everyone would have gone through what you had been through but when they come out of it they would come out strong and matured on how they handle the situation the next time it comes on their way

Learn to just [;)] at it or else you would have to [frustration] later

Last edited:

Top Bottom