Road Rage and a Confession

Re: The Candid Cam: For All Law Breakers in India

When he again tried the 5th time, I got so annoyed that I side swiped his bike on left rear side. He and his bike careened and smashed into the divider. His bike’s front got extensively damaged. He escaped with minor injury. Frankly I didn’t expect such massive reaction to slight side swipe.
Bro, A word of advice. Never ever write a post on a public forum for which you may be held guilty.
You may be held as per IPC 307, IPC 34 and IPC 506 based on your post.

I wished I had a dashcam but on second thought it seems not having dashcam is good as I am not sure if I will be held guilty or not if dashcam was there and the police reviewed the footage !
If the footage proves your guiltiness, you would have already deleted or erased dashcam's memory before police could come to you.

Never ever loose your cool on road. Fist fight is okay though.[;)]

Last edited:
@Akash Yes, road rage sums it up. I agree that I may not be lucky next time. I am shaken enough , so I don't think there will be a next time ever!

@krishna6239
In hindsight the post seems stupid, but I will leave it here as a reminder of my stupidity.
I was expecting the bike to wobble a bit and become steady there after. I thought it will give the guy a good scare. Instead it went off real bad.
About the dashcam, my understanding is that the footage can't be deleted when breaking suddenly or when accidents happen? So every time I braked hard, the footage taken would have been undeletable - right? or is it only in certain dashcam? Come to think of it, the side swipe would not have triggered delete protection even in such cam- right?

Are you sure it was entirely your mistake? If it is, why did the biker just leave you off? No one would, whatever their condition, they would have at-least scolded / raised hands / pick up a fight. I think biker must have side-swiped too & he knew it probably.

In any case, I thought it was courageous to post about it in a public forum & accept your mistake publicly (not to mention the barrage of the comments that pour in). Hope your conscience is somewhat clearer now. May be one day the post will be read by the biker & both of you get-together to laugh it off.

That doesn't remove the original issue anyway. Road rage is a dangerous thing. In city traffic, I hardly get one. I almost always give way, the moment I see a hurried-2-wheeler & if I think I may be blocking him/her. In highways, you do get these irritating folks sometimes, wants to race with you. When I was going to Kanyakumari (somewhere after Thirumangalam), there was this idoit (in a Creta) who was racing with me & an Ertiga (written Army). I am usually in no mood to race, all I was doing was to maintain between 100-110+. This guy used to overtake both of us & then slow down allowing us to pass. Or he would get struck between two lorries & we would overtake him. And repeat this all over again. This went on for about 10-15 min. I can see that the Ertiga driver was irritated & raced with him. Luckily for me, when their episode was over, he took a left turn into the nearby town.

How do you punish these idiots? I have no clue.

About the dashcam, my understanding is that the footage can't be deleted when breaking suddenly or when accidents happen? So every time I braked hard, the footage taken would have been undeletable - right? or is it only in certain dashcam? Come to think of it, the side swipe would not have triggered delete protection even in such cam- right?
Some dashcams have a G-sensor to detect shocks and save those clips in a separate 'read-only' folder so that they are not overwritten when memory card is full. We can delete files from the 'read-only' folder if we wish to. If the side swipe is noticeably felt inside cabin, it would have saved it to read-only folder.

Are you sure it was entirely your mistake? If it is, why did the biker just leave you off? No one would, whatever their condition, they would have at-least scolded / raised hands / pick up a fight. I think biker must have side-swiped too & he knew it probably.
You may be right. He might have been trying to scratch the front right side of my car with the leg guard of the bike. It may explain why the bike crashed instead of just wobbled and also why he didn’t come storming towards my car. As I said, I expected a violent reaction. In any case, I don’t think I will use side swipe as a scare tactic again.

Some dashcams have a G-sensor to detect shocks and save those clips in a separate 'read-only' folder so that they are not overwritten when memory card is full. We can delete files from the 'read-only' folder if we wish to. If the side swipe is noticeably felt inside cabin, it would have saved it to read-only folder.
Ok. Thanks for the info. I guess the g-sensors might not be useful in our roads as broken roads may trigger g-sensors every now and then unless it is calibrated properly.

Well, it's not a road rage per se, but an escape from one. I had a close call with a TVS XL super guy yesterday @ 7:12pm (9th sec in below video). To my surprise, the guy started chasing me which I noticed only when he drove up to my side and yelled to stop the car. Being in the middle of nowhere at this time with family on board, I just shook my head at him and kept going a little faster. He got more angry and started yelling louder and and chased further. I literally had scary thoughts at this point and my brain decided in favor of 'flight' between fight or flight choice. Immediately I switched down to 3rd gear, turned off AC and started to overtake vehicles quickly in an attempt to avoid a fight with him (and get beaten up).

Within a KM or two, my wife looked up Google maps for nearest police station in case he managed to reach us. Luckily there was a police station within 1 KM, in the nearest town which gave me some confidence to handle the situation. I had the upper hand with the dashcam footage to prove myself and thanked myself for this investment. Thankfully, he was nowhere to be seen by the time we entered the town limits and there was enough traffic build up with people around.

As seen in the video, he was on the right side of the road, trying to reach left side amidst oncoming traffic and with no turn signal. Though I was not speeding, there would be no reaction time in case he came in front of me half a second earlier. It was a lucky day indeed, there was no crash and no road rage. I will have to avoid that route for a couple of weeks and hope he was drunk enough to not remember my car number for long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqGIC8q6X6Y&feature=youtu.be

Well, it's not a road rage per se, but an escape from one. I had a close call with a TVS XL super guy yesterday @ 7:12pm (9th sec in below video). To my surprise, the guy started chasing me which I noticed only when he drove up to my side and yelled to stop the car. Being in the middle of nowhere at this time with family on board, I just shook my head at him and kept going a little faster. He got more angry and started yelling louder and and chased further. I literally had scary thoughts at this point and my brain decided in favor of 'flight' between fight or flight choice. Immediately I switched down to 3rd gear, turned off AC and started to overtake vehicles quickly in an attempt to avoid a fight with him (and get beaten up).

Within a KM or two, my wife looked up Google maps for nearest police station in case he managed to reach us. Luckily there was a police station within 1 KM, in the nearest town which gave me some confidence to handle the situation. I had the upper hand with the dashcam footage to prove myself and thanked myself for this investment. Thankfully, he was nowhere to be seen by the time we entered the town limits and there was enough traffic build up with people around.

As seen in the video, he was on the right side of the road, trying to reach left side amidst oncoming traffic and with no turn signal. Though I was not speeding, there would be no reaction time in case he came in front of me half a second earlier. It was a lucky day indeed, there was no crash and no road rage. I will have to avoid that route for a couple of weeks and hope he was drunk enough to not remember my car number for long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqGIC8q6X6Y&feature=youtu.be
What you did was the most sensible. Lot of these guys drive with an intention to get a "BMW for their TVS 50".

Even if he remembered your Car number, it doesn't matter; he has to prove that you were wrong.

BTW, he could've noted your car number "at any Signal". Have a peaceful Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Baleno Alpha with Bi-xenon Foglamps, whenever i flash my lights on the right lane to signal the car ahead of me to let me pass, many morons take it on their EGO and start racing with me or overtaking me.They have to come out of their Comfort Zone making it risky for them as well as me, I simply let them overtake me to cool off their EGO. And soon they are behind me again.
ROAD RAGE = EGO CLASH

This incident happened 2 days ago. My usual commute (Bangalore) is via Uma Talkies - Chamarajpet Police Station - Vinayaka Theater - TCM Royan Road (railway parallel road to city railway station) - Majestic City Railway Station - Krishna Flour Mills - Mantri Mall - Malleswaram 9th Cross. I have done it umpteen number of times.

As usual I was waiting for (newly installed) signal at the intersection between Binny Mill Road & TCM Royan Road. I can notice an impatient Swift guy, a few cars away in the back (left of me). Signal turns green. I move on. Both lanes move on slowly. Usually in the mornings, there are garbage trucks (usually one, but sometimes two) in the left lane. The right side of the road shoulder is recently dugged up & tar is not yet laid. So effectively its a single lane till we cross the garbage trucks. I knew it & hence I was on the right lane. I knew this lane will move faster. Most regulars know. The left lane is usually bikers / autos & they squeeze in whenever they can. The traffic is at snail's pace. An auto guy squeezes in front, I was anticipating it. I let him go. Me & the Swift guy are in parallel. The Swift guy wants to squeeze is in as well & knowing his intentions, I long-honked (3-4s). There were cops (in his lane in the front) & they turned around to look. Knowing the usual routine, they simply turned back & moved on. There were quite a few bikers in his lane. I usually let many of them pass & move on.

I don't know what provoked the guy, he became furious then after. Came close to my car from the left (before overtaking me). He overtook me (I was doing the same speeds, 2nd/3rd gear) from the left, let his window down & started yelling / hand signalling (what? what?) & asking me to stop / get into a fight. In the overtaking process, he left quite a few bikers angry. Many of them started shouting at him / raising hands. I too was raising my hands in the gesture of question mark (what), a few times (within the confinements of the closed windows / car).

Then soon after he probably got tired (may be bcos of the bikers shouting), he zig-zagged & vanished for a few mins. I did see him in the next signal, a few cars in front. After the signal, I didn't track him, as I had to turn left.

At one point in time, he was literally standing inside his car & his face was protruding out.

Lesson learnt: If you want cheap entertainment, long-honk! Seriously, just let pass these morons. It is not worth it. Nope, my mood never changed. Even then it is not worth it.

This incident happened a few weeks back in Kerala. After having a nice dinner with family, i was on my way back home through a very narrow road. There was barely any space for two cars to move. In front of me was an auto guy, we were moving inch by inch when suddenly he stopped and started yelling at me saying that i hit his auto. It came as surprise cos i never felt any sort of sound/impact in the cabin. He kept yelling and i asked him to move on coz people were getting impatient behind my car. My wife and mother law inside the car started panicking seeing the guy getting aggressive and at one point he was getting verbally abusive as well. All this while i kept my cool and asked him to move on but the guy would not budge. I got fed up of his antics and took my phone out to dial the Police , seeing me dialing the police the tone of the guy immediately changed and he started addressing me a "brother". By this time onlookers had enough of this drama and they got aggressive with Mr. Autowallah. With nothing working in his favor, he moved on.

What i have learned from this incident is that its always better to remain calm and not behave as an aggressor. Everyone around us supported me since i was very calm and polite. I believe the auto guy was just trying to extract some cash. Seeing a lone guy with two ladies and a kid, he thought i would give in and pay up for no fault of mine. I maintained my composure and never got out of the car to argue. I'm not sure if i would have handled it the same way if i was alone or with friends. Policing in Kerala is very effective and i believe it is always the best idea to call the cops in case somebody tries to get too aggressive.

This incident happened a few weeks back in Kerala. After having a nice dinner with family, i was on my way back home through a very narrow road. There was barely any space for two cars to move. In front of me was an auto guy, we were moving inch by inch when suddenly he stopped and started yelling at me saying that i hit his auto. It came as surprise cos i never felt any sort of sound/impact in the cabin. He kept yelling and i asked him to move on coz people were getting impatient behind my car. My wife and mother law inside the car started panicking seeing the guy getting aggressive and at one point he was getting verbally abusive as well. All this while i kept my cool and asked him to move on but the guy would not budge. I got fed up of his antics and took my phone out to dial the Police , seeing me dialing the police the tone of the guy immediately changed and he started addressing me a "brother". By this time onlookers had enough of this drama and they got aggressive with Mr. Autowallah. With nothing working in his favor, he moved on.

What i have learned from this incident is that its always better to remain calm and not behave as an aggressor. Everyone around us supported me since i was very calm and polite. I believe the auto guy was just trying to extract some cash. Seeing a lone guy with two ladies and a kid, he thought i would give in and pay up for no fault of mine. I maintained my composure and never got out of the car to argue. I'm not sure if i would have handled it the same way if i was alone or with friends. Policing in Kerala is very effective and i believe it is always the best idea to call the cops in case somebody tries to get too aggressive.
Such incidents make me think to install dashcam in car. Now a days it is a need of an hour.

Such incidents make me think to install dashcam in car. Now a days it is a need of an hour.
I have a dashcam installed it in my car but unfortunately on that day my dashcam was disconnected due to rattles from the dashcam holder. These days i ensure that my dashcam stays on all the time.

Does dialing 100 from mobiles work?
dialing 100 works just fine from Mobile phone.

Last edited:
Lesson learnt: If you want cheap entertainment, long-honk! Seriously, just let pass these morons. It is not worth it. Nope, my mood never changed. Even then it is not worth it.
I maintained my composure and never got out of the car to argue. I'm not sure if i would have handled it the same way if i was alone or with friends. Policing in Kerala is very effective and i believe it is always the best idea to call the cops in case somebody tries to get too aggressive.
I salute you both for keeping calm throughout the incident. [thumbsup]

I am even contemplating on installing a rear dashcam [:D]

Last edited:

Top Bottom