Road Rage and a Confession

Re: Road rage - Experiences, Do's & Dont's.

My experience This Sunday morning, I was on my way to yercaud on NH-46 and I noticed a awful road behaviour ahead of my car. One was a polo and other a swift, initially we all were on the same lane with me in front followed by swift and the polo. Then I let them pass by and the polo followed the swift. Near the toll there were men at work, the swift had to cut lanes with pool and it made the one in polo frustrated I guess. It all started then, that frustrated polo guy started to speed Up,tailgate and to cut lanes with the swift guy. The swift guy initially tried to avoid him by losing him but I dunno what was wrong with the other one he never refused to give up on him finally this made the swift guy lose his temper. Both started speeding up and driving in a rash manner, both were like racing at 130-140kmph. This incident continued for nearly 30-40 kms and made all other vehicles feel insecure.
[lol] Whenever I end up facing such jokers I simply let them overtake me and become happy and after that I let them touch their top speed by simply following them with some honking and flashing. In 5-10 kilometers they understand that it is useless and end up slowing down and let me pass them at my initial speed(varies between 110 to 150 kph normally). In fact once I made a Swift guy do 170 kph for a kilometer just to keep ahead of me while I was simply laughing and following him[;)]

I was doing something like Vipul mentioned above (few years back). If I know the place is near an Interceptor (police speed checking) and if someone overtake me in rash way, I let them pass and go behind them with a good speed for few hundered meters. They will increase the speed & I will slow down the speed just before turn from where Interceptor radar can see us. They are timely caught by Police because of over speeding. I make sure i ride at 45-49kmph . The sad/funny part is, when we go pass them, they look me with [anger] face. In Bangalore, all these interceptors are kept in one place all the time and everyday riders easily know when to reduce speed. Now a days, hardly people caught by their interceptors.

Now a days, I let everyone pass as per their wish. I get angry only when people smoke / talk on the phone while driving (not thru headphone/speakers).

@TSIVipul and Appus : I had a great time watching those jokers and the funny part is that they both got confused as to why am I following them at a steady pace . They broke up their riot after seeing a highway patrol ahead of them [lol] .

Generally my speed is always 100 to 110 KM/PH. And I stick to right lane always. When ever a speedy vehicle comes he just pass me and go with any problem.

Some times it happens that some dump fellow to follow me for some reason. At that time if that is yellow board vehicle mostly those dumps comes very close to me. I hate this. What happens if I suddenly need to stop or slow down drastically. Am sure they will hit me.

In that situation I make sure I go little ahead and let those dumps pass me then I will continue.

I have adopted a 'defensive' style of driving. Most of the times, when a callously driven car comes very near to my car, I either accelerate off or change lanes and give him way. Also, when I see an auto rick or taxi or call centre cab coming too close to my car, I slow down and let them overtake. For this, I have learnt to be continuously aware of my surrounding by judiciously using all the three rear view mirrors.

Some years back, in such situations when I was in the Scorpio, I was keen to show the cabbies and ricks some manners and push them back to their lane. Touch wood, never had an accident or shunt. But later on I realized, it not only makes my driving manners 'rough', but the sudden acceleration and braking also makes the passengers uncomfortable. Also, I have eventually realized that I love my car more than my pride.

These days I drive in a manner which requires minimum and smooth braking. It automatically solved all the problems. I may not be the fastest driver on the road but I reach the destination safely and comfortably. Also, I catch up most of the cars (who overtook me on the narrow city streets) on the highways and open roads. Simple philosophy - drive gingerly on narrow and crowded streets and floor it on open highways!

I have adopted a 'defensive' style of driving. Most of the times, when a callously driven car comes very near to my car, I either accelerate off or change lanes and give him way. Also, when I see an auto rick or taxi or call centre cab coming too close to my car, I slow down and let them overtake. For this, I have learnt to be continuously aware of my surrounding by judiciously using all the three rear view mirrors.

Some years back, in such situations when I was in the Scorpio, I was keen to show the cabbies and ricks some manners and push them back to their lane. Touch wood, never had an accident or shunt. But later on I realized, it not only makes my driving manners 'rough', but the sudden acceleration and braking also makes the passengers uncomfortable. Also, I have eventually realized that I love my car more than my pride.

These days I drive in a manner which requires minimum and smooth braking. It automatically solved all the problems. I may not be the fastest driver on the road but I reach the destination safely and comfortably. Also, I catch up most of the cars (who overtook me on the narrow city streets) on the highways and open roads. Simple philosophy - drive gingerly on narrow and crowded streets and floor it on open highways!
Well said Raj. If every one follows this, am sure count of accidents will come down.

I am a sedate driver and try to follow traffic rules earnestly. I am also cool headed in general and rarely shout at people. But when I see people breaking rules (like cutting lanes without any indicator and with the ORVMs closed, not caring about others and vehicles taking up 2-3 lanes waiting for their right turn holding up vehicles that could have passed straight), a beast in me awakens [lol]. I get so pi$$ed off, I literally lose my senses. This is the only time my wife gets scared of me. I pledge to not get affected by these incidences any more. This is not me.

I am a sedate driver and try to follow traffic rules earnestly. I am also cool headed in general and rarely shout at people. But when I see people breaking rules (like cutting lanes without any indicator and with the ORVMs closed, not caring about others and vehicles taking up 2-3 lanes waiting for their right turn holding up vehicles that could have passed straight), a beast in me awakens [lol]. I get so pi$$ed off, I literally lose my senses. This is the only time my wife gets scared of me. I pledge to not get affected by these incidences any more. This is not me.
Brother this is the source of the Road rage. Like you said your beast rises when there is a disobey of traffic rule . For some other the beast rises if somebody don't give them the way. If somebody overtake them ,like many can be listed down.
Many have many definition of the same.
Only one mantra to stay away from all these is "CONTROL" [roll].

See this guys, today itself I got the inaam!! :stupid:
3.JPG
I just removed my helmet while riding to tell an i10 waala to learn how to drive the car else I'll put it on fire and cops caught me!!

Earlier days i would loose my temper whenever a rickshaw or taxi guys used to drive on open highways that to on 1st lane,i used to honk unnecessary,and used to drive rashly.Now i drive wisely,cause i think even though i speed of with 90/100s,i would reach only 5/10 mins earlier,and loose my temper to,then why not enjoy driving, safely and listen to songs.

Sometimes there is absolute no need when people get into road rage.

I remember one incident when i was to go to my village next day,so i went to my garage for Checkup.While returning i was on the wheels,near Nahur Station flyover,which is always congested.There was a climb,An Alto guy was in front of me while traffic moved on,the alto guy was somewhat unable to make a climb at first glance,so i kept some 4 foot space between us.
After that again when traffic moved this guy rolled down backward and dash!!!!!,i Got hit on my guard but impact was not much,but to the surprise he took off his car with my car support,hell man i was on the brake with full strength.[lol]
I did not move my car,his car move another 2/3 foots forward,but i was there where i was,i know this guys is a sure shot learner,i my mind i let him go and laughed at scenario.Rear guy where honking,but later kept mum due

To my horror,this guy suddenly started rolling downward ,i again i slammed my brakes hard,pulled handbrakes to,thanks to instinct.

And Thud!!!!And once again he made off on my car brakes ..now i lost my temper,was feeling like pull that guy out,give him 2 and 3.[anger]
I let him pass the bridge ,to avoid any traffic and pulled him over at the junction.I had lost my cool.

I got out of the car asked him with anger "don't you know to drive",for which he kept mum and politely made his head down,later i realized he had a family inside the car,which let me cool my anger.

i let my dad handle it,went to check up for damages,which i did not find any,thanks to my front guard.I told my dad we don't have any damages and there is no point in quarreling further.
So we moved on,my dad started laughing,asked him why?Answer:"that funny man was telling that his car started rolling down so what can he do,brakes did not work,later he realized that he pressed clutch instead of brake.

We had a hearty laugh.!!!

Last edited:
Re: The Candid Cam: For All Law Breakers in India

Two days ago, a guy riding Royal Enfield kept crossing my car’s path. The first time he did it, I thought he did it unintentionally but he repeated it 3 times. I had to break hard all times to avoid crashing into him. When he again tried the 5th time, I got so annoyed that I side swiped his bike on left rear side. He and his bike careened and smashed into the divider. His bike’s front got extensively damaged. He escaped with minor injury. Frankly I didn’t expect such massive reaction to slight side swipe. I expected him to react violently but he just walked off and sat near a road side shop. I was in two minds whether to stop or go on. I decided to go on although I know that doesn’t sound ethical. It’s been two days but I haven’t seen any news on the accident nor has anyone contacted me. I drove through the route again today morning and everything was normal. I am not sure what to do now –whether or not to contact the traffic police about the accident .
I wished I had a dashcam but on second thought it seems not having dashcam is good as I am not sure if I will be held guilty or not if dashcam was there and the police reviewed the footage !

Carcommentor , what you did was very wrong, Even how frustrated you were , you should not have done that. What if the biker crashed on the divider and had head injury or hand,leg fracture. He was lucky, in fact you were lucky otherwise what it might be a disastrous move..Yes i know everyone will be frustrated if someone do crossing one's path frequently , but you should have let him over take.Is the route within city limits or any highway?

Carcommentor , what you did was very wrong, Even how frustrated you were , you should not have done that. What if the biker crashed on the divider and had head injury or hand,leg fracture. He was lucky, in fact you were lucky otherwise what it might be a disastrous move..Yes i know everyone will be frustrated if someone do crossing one's path frequently , but you should have let him over take.Is the route within city limits or any highway?
I do agree with you. I did allow him to overtake time and again which is why he was able to cross my car path time and again . Frankly I never expected side swipe to be so dangerous. Lesson learnt. The route is in Chennai suburbs.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Two days ago, a guy riding Royal Enfield kept crossing my car’s path. The first time he did it, I thought he did it unintentionally but he repeated it 3 times. I had to break hard all times to avoid crashing into him. When he again tried the 5th time, I got so annoyed that I side swiped his bike on left rear side. He and his bike careened and smashed into the divider. His bike’s front got extensively damaged. He escaped with minor injury. Frankly I didn’t expect such massive reaction to slight side swipe. I expected him to react violently but he just walked off and sat near a road side shop. I was in two minds whether to stop or go on. I decided to go on although I know that doesn’t sound ethical. It’s been two days but I haven’t seen any news on the accident nor has anyone contacted me. I drove through the route again today morning and everything was normal. I am not sure what to do now –whether or not to contact the traffic police about the accident .
I wished I had a dashcam but on second thought it seems not having dashcam is good as I am not sure if I will be held guilty or not if dashcam was there and the police reviewed the footage !
In simple words, It amounts to road rage. There are morons on the road but to get down to their level itself is a stupidest thing to do. Thank your stars but luck may not favor you next time.

--Akash

Top Bottom