Road Accidents Kill Someone Every 24 Seconds: WHO

Thread Starter #1

Nairrk

Honoured Member
In its last report, based on data from 2013, the number of road traffic deaths was estimated at 1.25 million annually.

Road accidents kill someone every 24 seconds, with a total of 1.35 million traffic deaths around the world each year, the World Health Organization said Friday, demanding global action.

The number of fatalities annually has swelled by around 100,000 in just three years, with road accidents now the leading killer of children and young people between the ages of five and 29, the UN health agency said in a new report.

Read:

I really dont think there can be a solution to this problem,
with ever increasing rise in population of vehicles on YoY basis, no proper infrastructure or planning of roads, no discipline by majority of the drivers, and many more reasons.
But i hope we make our roads safer.

I really don’t think there can be a solution to this problem,
with ever increasing rise in population of vehicles on YoY basis, no proper infrastructure or planning of roads, no discipline by majority of the drivers, and many more reasons...But i hope we make our roads safer.
If all drivers become more disciplined, the number of accidents/fatalites will come down significantly. If I am asked to put 80% of accidents in India in JUST TWO categories, I will blame it on the (1) two-wheeler drivers, for accidents happening within City/Village limits AND (2) slow vehicles not yielding to faster vehicles.

1. Dangerous Two-Wheeler Drivers: They simply DO NOT have patience [frustration] . A four wheeler driver knows the "high cost of repairs" and DEVELOPS patience in due course. Whereas two-wheelers can be repaired cheap, many times at the cost of the bigger vehicle driver (what with Public Sympathy going normally in favour of the smaller vehicle driver). IF two-wheeler drivers become disciplined, we will see CONSIDERABLE drop in the number of accidents and fatalities. Two-wheeler drivers just DON'T like TO FOLLOW another vehicle. They either have to be by the side or ahead of it; they get into trouble and/or get others TOO into trouble. Consider the following THREE cases, that I have come across in just THREE DAYS this week.
  1. On this 4th Dec, I was on the left and behind a BMTC Bus in B-to-B traffic but a guy on his big bike (not RE) managed to come to MY left and kept driving too close for my comfort; I was afraid of him falling into my car but he was like "Could you risk damage to your Car, buddy". I slowed down a bit and he started pulling away but HAD to brake HARD as the Bus ahead stopped. He lost his balance and used his left leg for support. But alas, he was so close to the pavement that his left foot went inside the drainage cut out; he SLIPPED and fell down with the heavy bike trapping his leg. He was trying to get up but the bike's weight was too much for him. Few ladies were near him on the pavement, but they couldn't do anything than just watch. NASTY it was. Yours truly too was just watching ; was in no mood to help a moron who was sort of blackmailing me. Luckily for the fallen idiot, two men came to his help. Biker could not stand; may be ankle sprain. He limped off leaving the bike then and there on the road. Wherever he wanted to go FAST, he would've reached LATE. Without any remorse, I just followed the bus; my wife said there was a hint of smile on my face.
  2. Within 5 minutes of the above incidence, I was still following same Bus; the bus was now running parallel to an inter-city Bus. A guy and girl on a Scooter materialised from my left, pulled forward and i let him go in front of me. He drifted to my right aiming for the gap between the two buses and entered. When he almost covered half the bus length, I saw stop lights of the bus on the left. The Bus mildly swung Right to avoid something and touched the scooter; scooter then touched the bus on the right, then left, then right. Knowing where the scooter was w.r.to the rear wheels of the two buses, I asked my wife to close her eyes. Luckily the bus on the right moved to right and averted tragedies. Phew... Idiots risking their lives.
  3. On 6th Dec, while moving slow and steady in traffic on a 2 lane road, I spotted a Dumper Truck collecting Garbage about 60-70 meters ahead to my left. Usual morning School hour traffic building up, on either directions. A window opened in the right lane for a moment, and a guy on his KTM entered the road from a side road to my right. The KTM quickly crossed that lane and started moving next to a Uber Taxi (just ahead of me). Ahead of taxi was an XUV and a School Bus. This KTM was moving over the "lane separating line". A BMTC bus was approaching in the opposite lane and the KTM guy expected Uber driver to give him space. May be the Uber guy too had seen the dumper truck and did not give KTM the space (i like that Uber driver). KTM had to drop speed and I was about to catch up with KTM. In a flash, the KTM dived left and my heart was in my mouth; i slammed the brakes. The KTM went to my left at an oblique angle, leaned right AND ... met the workers collecting waste [frustration]. Due to the low speeds, nothing serious happened, luckily. As I drove past, I saw the workers holding the biker's Shirt collar. The idiot could not have seen the Dumper Truck due to the XUV & bus on his left. That lousy son of @#$% had the temerity to cut in front of a MOVING SEDAN in traffic without ACTUALLY SEEING WHAT LIES WHERE HE WAS GOING.
I have seen sooooo many two-wheler drivers exhibiting similar impatience; whether they are alone or with their family. Little more patience and better discipline will save lots of lives and also cost of treatment.

2. Slow poison : Ever wonder, why soooooooo many vehicles drive onto a parked vehicle in India ?! My reasoning is that 'the slow poison' caused by a slow vehicle blocking their way pushed them to a momentary madness, forcing them to attempt a risky & dangerous overtaking move. Drivers HAVE to learn that yielding is NOT surrendering... yielding is showing that you are more disciplined than most [cheers]

its terrible to learn about the statistics .But as mentioned in above posts driving attitudes ,road rage and poor infrastructure all of them contribute to fatalities.A surgical blade can be used to kill or to give life depends on how its used and who uses it [shock]the pain is even more when you end up on the receiving end even when you have adhered to rules of driving and the moron who caused the incident goes Scot free .Laws in India should become more stringent rather being able to easily bribe your way out of manslaughter [roll]

Top Bottom