Ritz Continuously Emitting White Smoke

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends
This is my first post in any automobile website, so please feel free to guide me if any mistakes you could find out.
I am reading all the comments of each member owning Ritz LDI and how thing went from 0 km on odo to 35 k. I have a problem for which no ASS or local mechanic can actually tell whats wrong. I have recently purchased second hand Ritz LDI (70,000 kms on ODO, 2011 year, white color) and after its 70 K service, when I start my car after it is standing for 5-6 hours. No matter day/night/cold/extreme sunlight, I can see white smoke continoulsy flowing out of my car's exhaust for 45-50 seconds. Then it stops and if I accelerate at that time , while pressing the acc padel there is no smoke and once I release the padel smoke comes out. Once car is heated for 3-4 minutes all is fine. I went to ASS in Naraina(Delhi)
owned and operated by MASS, they did check compression which was 12.5,13,13,13 respectively for 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th . Intercooler got cleaned , glow plugs are working fine all checked by MASS. Now some say it could be valves or injectors!1 Bosch peple say they cannot tell anything for sure and ASS people say its all fine because I cannot show the smoke to them . I have prepared video to which they say its fine for a 70 K run car to do this, but I am sure there is some problem. One more problem is that I am facing this problem since 3 months now and tried filling diesel form various pumps, but same problem exsists. Its giving me continuously not more that 16 km/pl even with cautious driving on highway. Please suggest.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz LDI Ownership Review - 3 Years, 30000 Kms - Zero Issues !!

I think it can be damaged/bad piston rings. Get them checked. Also do you see oil level decreasing in your car ?

Thread Starter #3
Re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz LDI Ownership Review - 3 Years, 30000 Kms - Zero Issues !!

Dear allhyundai, please correct me if I am wrong , but if piston rings would leak then it will give white smoke throughout the day but here it is only for starting 3 minutes. Oil level is the same since I got it serviced 4 thousand kilometres ago. And also if we stand at the back of the car the smoke hurts my eyes and water starts coming from my eyes. Which is a significance that it is half burnt diesel. Diesel gurus please help me!! I ma really afraid and therefore have not yet transferred the car on my name.[confused][roll]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
@allhyundai thanks for the post. I pray to god that its not in engine, I have recently purchased it and cannot afford to get engine work done. <I am Stupid>. But as compression is checked by MASS and it is perfectly fine according to them which is 12.5 , 13,13,13 for each cylinders respectively. Also Bosch people say that it cannot be injectors because if it is injectors which are not working fine then it should have some knocking and starting problem after heating up. I am so confused, could you please let me know how to proceed with this issue logically. Like what should be the first diagnostic step, considering cleaning and calibration of injectors would cost me somewhere around 7,000/- bucks and opening head and checking piston or head gasket MASS people said it could be anywhere between 50,000 to 1 lac or else will it be safe to drive the way it is. Its just white smoke after car parked for 5-6 hours and low fuel efficiency which pisses me off the most. Monthly running of my car is around 3 thousand kilometers per month.[confused][frustration]

IMP- Also I forgot to mention in the first post that there is a loud clattering noise from engine when we start the engine after 5-6 hours and it stops as soon as the smoke stops from exhaust.

P.S- And also it would be great if you could let me know what are the chances of DDIS oil seals to leak after running 70 thousand kilometers.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I'll suggest not to open anything just yet. Try this engine flush , i think you should go to a local mechanic and seek his advice on this. Authorized service centers just know the word replace and not repair.

You can't trust seals, atleast i don't. I changed my santro main seal from outside , paid 300 for seal and 700 for labor. It started leaking again, again paid 300 + 1400 at service center.

On many flushing oil, it's mentioned "won't damage the seals" so just make sure you get a branded flushing oil.

Don't know about the noise but obviously this is connected to the smoke.

Thread Starter #7
I have been to major motor markets and Bosch service centers all they say are confused faces and try to think do this do that. Several mechanics suggested intercooler cleaning which I have already done. Some said to get EGR valve cleaning , what would you suggest to take it to MASS and ask them about engine de-carbonizing / engine flush are they both same, because if seals go bad maybe I ll have someone to catch hold of.
Also suggest about fuel efficiency is 16 km/l on highways at a speed of 90-100 km/hr fine ?

If possible try to get the service history of this car and also contact the previous owner may be you could get some clue from there I think FE of 16 is on the lower side you should expect around 20

Thread Starter #9
Dear Konkantrip , have got the service history all seems to be fine, car had run 49,000 til Dec 2013. proper services adopted and car owner says he is not aware of any such issue and he had always got 23 on highways, but I have tried measuring several time with fuel tank top up method. I got 14-15 while driving in three figures speed and when I got afraid and wanted to check after driving cautiously between 80-90 km/hr and it returns 16 km/pl even on 500 km long highways trips.[confused][cry]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
so you bought at 43000 kms or the service sheets are till this figures ?

i don't think mass will change the seals if they go bad. they'll just say your car's at 70k , it's pretty normal and you can't do anything.

see , it may occur , it may not. my local mechanic suggested me the same to clean the engine but i searched a bit and declined just because my car's odo at 1,15,000 kms.

i'll say search a bit for your car and chose the best oil.

Thread Starter #11
so you bought at 43000 kms or the service sheets are till this figures ?

i don't think mass will change the seals if they go bad. they'll just say your car's at 70k , it's pretty normal and you can't do anything.

see , it may occur , it may not. my local mechanic suggested me the same to clean the engine but i searched a bit and declined just because my car's odo at 1,15,000 kms.

i'll say search a bit for your car and chose the best oil.

I bought it at 68,000 on the odo, MASS had service records till 49,000 kms and after that the fisrt owner said as warranty got expired he started getting it serviced from outside mechanic. And by saying chose the best oil did you mean the engine oil , while service at 70 k on odo , i asked MASS to fill Mobil1 Full Synth 0W40. What is the procedure they use to flush ? What shall I ask them to do this saturday I have fixed an appointment with DGM of maruti naraina.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
By oil i meant flush oil, there are many brands and they will say this is a german product , don't believe them. Can be anything. That's why i'm telling you to search a bit for good quality.

They'll first put the flush oil in the engine (old oil) then they will run it for 10-30 minutes. Then they will drain it. And after that they'll put new engine oil.

Just check the dipstick before starting the car , check the color of the oil. Then compare it after adding the flush oil. If it becomes more dirty , then it means it cleaned the engine. If there's not much difference either the product(flush oil) is bad or there is no sludge at all.

Thread Starter #13
Oh, got it now! Thank you sir. Please let me know which brand to use, and yes I ll follow the procedure described by you! And also sir one thing just popped up in my mind is that!! Could changing from mineral to full synthetic at 70k kms on odo without flushung the engine be the reason behind this problem?

Thread Starter #15
Hey Allhyundai

After visiting MASS Naraina twice and listening to service advisor that my car is all fine. Escalated the issue to DGM and Regional office of MSIL, a team of mechanics and supervior inspected the vehicle today morning. According to them its inject calibration which seems to be an issue here. They have asked me to park my car whole night, lock the car take the keys with me and come back next morning and show them the problem.
They have major doubt on injector calibration, cause of the knocking sound as well in the morning. They want to listen to the sound in morning.
Also DGM said that there was a circular from MSIL that engine flushing and decarbonisation should not be done in any of the MASS workshops all over India and denied strictly from getting engine flush done even from outside.

P.S- They get injector calibration done from Bosch ,and here in Delhi they charge 2-5 K per injector for calibration and in chandigarh they charge 1-2 K per injector. The Bosch owner agreed that charges in Delhi are on the higher side and work done is same all over India.

I am damn confused now[frustration] will give them the car on Friday evening and check on Saturday morning and see if something can be done. [roll]

Top Bottom