Riding manner and usage of ORVM's

Thread Starter #1
guys, i have been driving two wheelers since 15 years now.there has been lots of changes in style, behaviour, specs and performance of these bikes, scooters, mopeds.When i started driving i learned to use the side rear view mirrors placed on sides of bikes, scooters to judge the side lines, side ways and for turns.Now a days what i see is that rarely people use these mirrors atleast while taking side turns or side ways,instead bend themselves while driving to see if someone's coming from the back, or just turn their head to look back before doing this and have ended up banging themselves with other vehicles or loosing balance and falling down.My question is why does people dont use those mirrors given by companies for specific usage, we dont look out of window to see someone's at the back or not from our car and do use ORVM's in four wheels perfectly, then why is two wheelers users dont follow this?

Bikes' mirrors are kind of useless in close traffic. It don't cover much. I can't even see the car in next lane. You need to look around the mirror for full view. Looking over shoulders is far better and quicker too.

Thread Starter #5
Bikes' mirrors are kind of useless in close traffic. It don't cover much. I can't even see the car in next lane. You need to look around the mirror for full view. Looking over shoulders is far better and quicker too.
well i am driving my bikes from last 15 years and never have felt they are useless.Looking over shoulder isnt safe i believe when you have option to look into the given RVM.

maybe but i still prefer using mirrors over actually turning my head around all the time..
absolutely mate, the same way we use out cars RVM.If it was useless company wouldnt have given those with two wheelers.All about getting used to it.

For one, my bikes have always had both the mirrors because they have been extremely useful in city driving. Saved me lots of minor accidents. I guess its a matter of habit, which I cultivated and it became a second habit.
However, I wish to say that some scooters (especially Bajaj ones) have pathetic rear view mirrors. I have always had difficulty using scooters RVMs.

Its not that i'm telling they are useless. They are very useful on many occasions. I'm just telling that checking via shoulders gives a better picture. But i would never look back like a fool and bang a vehicle up front. Its just while turning or cutting lanes, one check without turning head will make things better.

And also the mirrors aren't big enough, atleast in my bikes, Unicorn and FZ. They don't cover enough. I need to lean and bend sometimes to check completely with the help of mirrors.

Well mirrors are very important but again in India where people hardly follow the lane system(at least in pune)& the bumper to bumper traffic makes the mirrors useless sometimes.
Most of the guys think mirrors spoil the bikes look(many karizmaiets think so).
I too in the beginning had removed my mirrors but the day before i was to travel to lonavla i just happened to put them back. Thank god i put them back.
I just cant imagine riding on highways without mirrors.

I have been using mirrors ever since I started riding/driving. I have seen many pulsarians without mirrors and Indicab's who always keep their mirrors closed.[anger]

350Z

Core Team
Hi Black Beauty!
Welcome to The Automotive India, Have a pleasant stay here.

Coming to topic, I'm strictly against of removing the ORVMs from the vehicles, They help a lot.
Delhi Police is quite strict if you don't have an ORVM in your vehicle (Specially Driver's side) or if its closed. You may even get fined for same! and thats actually a good thing.

EDIT : My 800 didn't came with left ORVM but I installed one!

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #11
I have seen bikers in madhyapradesh, keeping both their ORVM's intact but positioned inside, like folding them between both the handles, [frustration]which i never was able to undeerstand why would one keep them as such?

I have seen bikers in madhyapradesh, keeping both their ORVM's intact but positioned inside, like folding them between both the handles, [frustration]which i never was able to undeerstand why would one keep them as such?
Usage of RVMs is a joke in the interiors of Karnataka as well. I have observed the same even when lots of these folks are riding on major roads with lots of trucks, buses, cars zooming past these villages.

Well mirrors are very important but again in India where people hardly follow the lane system(at least in pune)& the bumper to bumper traffic makes the mirrors useless sometimes.
Most of the guys think mirrors spoil the bikes look(many karizmaiets think so).
I too in the beginning had removed my mirrors but the day before i was to travel to lonavla i just happened to put them back. Thank god i put them back.
I just cant imagine riding on highways without mirrors.
This is what exactly i tried to tell. In very close traffic, mirrors are of less use.

Removing mirrors in bikes are like fashion of the past, the times of RX 100. In fact, not all bikes look good without mirrors, but every one do that. I've seen one who has removed mirror in R15's and the bike looked like a bald head.

deville_56

Honoured Member
I hate driving without mirror. Donno how people change busy lanes without left mirror.

People use to make fun of me for using mirrors and stopping at amber and not starting at amber.

Top Bottom