Reviving a Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Hello petrol heads, its been a very long time since I have joined TAI and haven't posted yet.Now I was free for a while and revived my cousin's maruti 800.

My cousin lives in Pune and he has kept his maruti 800 at his own place, every time he comes to his hometown he uses his maruti 800. But he visits the place in every 2 to 3 years and has to do a lot of
work in his maruti 800, He gets the battery charged, tyres filled with air and a lot more... The car has clocked about 32,000 kms in last 20 years used only for city duties but the front tyres have been changed because of their age.

Now back in the year 2017 my brother suggested in order to drive this car myself but I refused because I am satisfied with one car so my cousin offered this car to a friend, he accepted the car and installed the LPG gas kit[frustration]. Now he uses the car very less but still me and my cousin have crazy ideas to convert this car into an electric car[:D].

A few weeks ago we planned to checkout the car, we came to the the place the car took some time for turning on, the car turned on and we checked the car all around and drove for few kilometers and car performed well both on LPG and petrol but still needs some body work.

IMG-20200920-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20200920-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200920-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200920-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20200920-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20200920-WA0016.jpg
IMG-20200920-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20200920-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20200920-WA0005.jpg

Thread Starter #2
Please suggest me in order to get the car back in factory shape.Not want extreme modifications but a bit of upgrades to make the car look decent.

Thread Starter #4
Mr.Boss, sir here factory shape refers in terms of the car's body.The body of car is bit rusted from the floor and near the boot area.
Mild modifications which I wanted to do was to get a set of alloys not black alloys but simple alloys somewhat like these-
20190206_133944.jpg

image source@Team bhp.
or get a new set of wheel caps.
Another major task I want to do is to remove the LPG gas kit and get the seat covers installed.

Last edited:
Mr.Boss, sir here factory shape refers in terms of the car's body.The body of car is bit rusted from the floor and near the boot area.
Another major task I want to do is to remove the LPG gas kit and get the seat covers installed.
If you can post the snap of rusted area we can understand the severity of damage and suggest the fix accordingly.
Like, surface rust requires a proper cleaning, surface preparation and a fresh coat of paint. Where as high intensity corrosion needs special attention to find the root cause first and treat them properly.

Removing LPG lit is easy task, again the holes made in the metal parts needs a proper treatment to avoid corrosion in future.
Seat covers - there are plenty of options available ranging from a 2K off-shelf fabric cover going upto a lakh for custom made leather ones (this is the reason to ask for budget)

Mild modifications which I wanted to do was to get a set of alloys not black alloys but simple alloys somewhat like these-
image source@Team bhp.
This is one special m800 in the country with loads of care, OE upgrades from export models.
Those are MS genuine alloys, but I'm not sure about the availability now. We have limited choice in after market because of the size (12" & 13")

Those alloys are not available anywhere. I guess there were a total of 6 or 7 pieces in India, all of which are with Shashi now

Please suggest me in order to get the car back in factory shape.Not want extreme modifications but a bit of upgrades to make the car look decent.
Decide on one thing. If you want to fix the car mechanically first or do the body work first. I have fixed my car mechanically, got a new half engine, carb etc. planning for many more things. Body work if done correctly will cost you 40-45k,including a respray.

Top Bottom