Review : Yoko Earth-1 on Fluidic Verna 2012

Thread Starter #16
The long overdue first-time highway trip with Yokos finally came. Did a Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore trip on Sunday & Monday.

From Hosur to Krishnagiri, I was doing 130kph on the fast lane. From the median, a group of small Monkeys broke thro the plants and started crossing the highway; about 30-40 ft ahead of the car. Though I panicked, instinct took over and I managed to drive around them. The tyres & car just did what my mind wanted.

There were the usual "get-away" runs at higher speeds. There was some rains around Vellore yesterday evening, to test the Wet Grip.

I can safely say that Grip, Breaks & Direction change of these Yokos are very confidence inspiring.

BTW, we decided NOT to use Music player during the entire trip ; just chatted in the car the entire home-to-home distance. The tyre noise --- we didn't notice.

Thread Starter #18
I think, it is been around 7,000km since the Yokos were fitted. The lazy me has not yet rotated the tyres. Will do it, during the 60,000 km service (another ~600 km away). So far, so good.

On 30th Apr and 1st May 2017, went for a two day's trip and covered close to 980km. Filled Nitrogen about 3 week's before the trip and forgot to check, the day before the trip. During the trip, couldn't locate a working N2 machine (my mistake). The travel was thro' some twisty and poor roads as well. Was worried a bit about tyre pressure and babied the car over such stretches. While returning, checked tyre pressure thro' a normal machine and found that it was at the original 32 psi in all tyres. The tyre pressure held on for 3+ weeks and 1,400 km [clap]

Thread Starter #19
When I changed to four Yoko Earth-1 Tyres on 19-Aug-2016, the Odo was around 51,800 km. On 18-Jan-19, the Odo crossed 76,000 km. “29 months and 24,200 km” are ideal for mid-life review. I’m using Nitrogen Gas, right from beginning and tyre Pressure is kept at Hyundai recommended 32 psi. Once in 3 to 6 weeks, I check the tyre pressure and top-up if required. For ‘within 3 weeks’ periods, pressure remains same 32 psi. Between 5-6 weeks, it drops ‘between 27 to 31’ psi ; Four times pressure was alarmingly low at 18-19 psi (in one wheel; every time different wheel). Will change the valves during next Periodic Service at 80,000 km.

Let us see some Photos first :

Yoko-00.jpg

Yoko-01.jpg

Yoko-02.jpg

The intermediate Ribs (on either side of Tyre Shoulder) are showing even wear. That means “Wheel Alignment is holding Good”. Tie-bars (on shoulder) and Lateral Grooves (on intermediate Ribs) are still nice and deep. Condition of Tread Blocks and Rubber in general are good. Credit to myself and Yokos.

My earlier Kumho Solus had only THREE Circumferential Grooves, while Earth-1 has FOUR Main Grooves with identical width and depth. Michelin XM has only TWO, while Bridgestone B250 & GdYr Triple Max both have THREE Circ. Grooves Each. “Ceat Secura Drive, Conti CC, Yoko Earth-1 & Yoko BluearthALL have FOUR each. But, SURPRISE SURPRISE, in Earth-1, tyre Shoulders have ONE each NARROW grooves. There is a ‘sort of NARROW circumferential groove’ on each intermediate Rib (connected to main grooves via lateral grooves). Basically Earth-1 has overall EIGHT Circ. Grooves. I had always felt that Verna’s performance has improved while Cornering and on Wet Roads. Now I can safely credit THAT to Earth-1’s wider ‘outer intermediate Rib and the additional Circ. Groove(s)’ for that. Tyre noise also is down with Earth-1.

The various markings on the Earth-1 in a Combo Pic below:
Yoko-03-Combo.jpg

BTW, what is the meaning of E400 F1995L -6 in the fourth Pic in Combo Pic above ? Any guesses ??

My Verna came with Hyundai fitted Kumho Solus 185/65 R15 88H. When the Odo was at 51,600 km 'Left Front' tyre burst and i quickly went for Yokos. I checked a old Pic i posted in TAI and found that the Treadwear indicators on the Solus were quite GOOD. All said and done, I think i panicked and bought the Yokos a bit early. Comparison of Solus and Earth-1 below:

Yoko-04 n Solus.jpg

Engine braking can be used to prolong lives of 'Tyres and Brake Pads'; IF we "Pay good attention to Traffic ahead and constantly check the Mirrors". On "Bad to very bad Road", by "Babying the Car"; we can take care of vehicle's Suspension and also avoid unnecessary cuts on the Tyre Sidewall. Andddddd, maintain proper tyre pressure, ALWAYS.

Starting a four and half day drive to hometown today later afternoon. I will write more about a “major feat” of Tyres after that trip. Drive Safe and good luck to all. Adios Amigos.

Thread Starter #20
...The various markings on the Earth-1 in a Combo Pic below:
View attachment 254718
BTW, what is the meaning of E400 F1995L -6 in the fourth Pic in Combo Pic above ? Any guesses ?? ... I will write more about a “major feat” of Tyres after that trip. Drive Safe and good luck to all. Adios Amigos.
  1. I found that E400 is another name for Yoko Earth-1 tyres. Yet to figure our meaning of "F1995 -6"
  2. Current Odo is 77,600 plus; the Yokos have put in 25,800 plus km over "Pretty good NHs, decent SHs, namesake roads, potholes surrounded by some Tar, soil covered with crushed stones, solid mud roads with pinch of Tar here and there, grass covered soil... basically all types of surfaces, except those Safari/Scorpio specific Surfaces". By the Grace of all my sweet Gods, there has NEVER been a puncture [angel] over this quarter of a Lakh kilometers. Can THAT qualify as a "major feat" (that i mentioned in above quoted post) [think] ???

Getting those tyres for our Innova in stock size this weekend or next week as present tyres are at the end of its life.Got a quote of Rs.5600 for these tyres from the trusted tyre dealer,from whom I got tyres for our previous Vento,brother's Swift and our Honda City.

And,I feel these tyres are cheaper than Bridgestone B390,which costs Rs.6150 and Michelin XM2,which costs Rs.6300.This will be the third time if I buy Yokohama tyres as we already got them fitted on my brother's Swift VDI and on our Honda City(Yokohama S-Drives).The Earth1 tyres on Swift has run close to 60,000 Kms in over 3 years and are at the end of its life and willing to change those tyres if he is planning to keep the car for another few months or before selling,we might change the tyres and sell off the car.

Earth-1 is good and reliable product for typical Indian roads. I use it in my Fiesta and it is feel good experience so for. I drive it in City, Highways and average to very bad roads in Villages. They have run around 24K, still have flesh to cover another 25K kilometers and not a single puncture so for.
The tyre noise, yes I am not fully satisfied when compared to stock MRF.
Overall I am much satisfied with this tyre.

Thread Starter #23
These Yokos came aboard in Aug 2016, with Odo around 51,500 km. Fifty one months later and with Odo above 97,000km, do they look like having done 45,000 km ?

Front Left (below) :

IMG-20201205-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20201205-WA0003.jpg

Front Right (below):
IMG-20201205-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20201205-WA0004.jpg

Pls pardon me for posting dirty pictures; it's in Co Car Parking & ran out of water.

I noticed the narrow grooves on the outer shoulders has disappeared while they are still there on the inside shoulder (is shoulder the correct term ?). Alignment problem for sure ; I'll reverse the tyres (inside out & outside in over the Rims) during next Wheel rotation.

BTW, there was only ONE Puncture so far. Lemme see how long these Yokos last.

Top Bottom