Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars & Bikes

HID is very unreliable and is old technology (I am suffering). Bulbs change colour over time, and once they stop working new ones cost a lot. I have not used LEDs, but I think they should be better.

Thread Starter #483

bhvm

Honoured Member
HID is very unreliable and is old technology (I am suffering). Bulbs change colour over time, and once they stop working new ones cost a lot. I have not used LEDs, but I think they should be better.
This is not true.
My xuv is in 6th year. Havent suffered even a ficker.
HIDs require Care and etiquette to use. Flashing HIDs is sure way to kill them. Also Hot restarting the Engine (With HID On) will destroy them quite sooner. HID will slightly shift towards higher CCT (Bluer). This is by design and shift is not that much. but a DC ballast will cause much higher and quicker shift.

I suppose you have gotten hold of Counterfiet or Low quality HID kits. Quality HIDs are rated to last the lifetime of vehicle.
Get the cree XHP chip ones.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/120...6.0&pvid=e3771a2e-60da-43bd-8fff-e494e2567c13

Last edited:
Thread Starter #485

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thanks bhvm. Would these be able to provide a good beam pattern for H7. I lately read, that CSP provide closet beam pattern to halogen. I understand, you have much deeper knowledge on subject; if you could share some of it XHP vs CSP especially wrt to beam pattern, spread n throw
In my experience, I got the best Beam pattern only from genuine CREE chips. While the logic says that CSP chips better mimic the filaments (They're longer like default filaments are), CSP chips are often unbranded Chinese make and have no QC or standards. hence CSP is a hit or miss.
CREE XHP is a God chip. Very powerful and tolerates real power upto 50~70W (Provided there is adequate cooling). The chip follows high standards and QC. Only downsides is lack of Neutral white (4300K) CCT being implemented by Chinese assemblers. The 6000k CCT causes issues in Fog and rain, But will still be a major upgrade over regular Halogen lamps.

On the other hand, as you have separate bowls of High and low beams, I still suggest getting a 35W 4300k HID kit for LOWS and FOGS. The punch and beam pattern will be better than LED in my experience. The reason being, HID has almost 360-deg Light emission, Like Halogen. LED on the other hand, will only emit sideways.

HID does not work well on older H3 and h4 standards, But works beautifully on H7 and H8

Thanks for detailed insight.
Do you suggest HID kits for LO & FOGS, without projector?? I'm not sure how they work in H7 housing (without projector); but if they work much better than any LED. I would surely look into getting HID for LO

I don't wish to go for retro-fitting projector; due to cost & reliability constraints.

Regarding 4300K; I have noticed few seller's on AE offering colored tube over LED. I guess; it would reduce intensity a bit; but should be a workable solution

Last edited:
Thread Starter #487

bhvm

Honoured Member
older gen corolla altis came with factory hid in reflectors without projectors. so yes it'll work. they were h7 too.

contact tdautoz on this forum if you can get hid on returnable basis. should be worth the hassle.

regarding led with coloured tubes, yes it's a jugaad solution. you don't get the benefits of better CRI (color rendition index)that comes with born 4300k chip, but it does work halfway.

This is not true.
HIDs require Care and etiquette to use. Flashing HIDs is sure way to kill them. Also Hot restarting the Engine (With HID On) will destroy them quite sooner. HID will slightly shift towards higher CCT (Bluer). This is by design and shift is not that much. but a DC ballast will cause much higher and quicker shift.

I suppose you have gotten hold of Counterfiet or Low quality HID kits. Quality HIDs are rated to last the lifetime of vehicle.

Get the cree XHP chip ones.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/120...6.0&pvid=e3771a2e-60da-43bd-8fff-e494e2567c13
Hello bhvm, I've a Layman's question regarding installing these expensive LED bulbs.

Most modern car's especially SUV's have 2 separate holders for each side of headlights. These LED are for the extreme right side? So in normal usage what is the function of the inner light? Do both have Hi Lo filaments?

Do we need to install LED's in these also? Hope I've made my point understood.

Sorry for the nerd questions, if already answered elsewhere.

Regards
Vinod

Last edited:
Thread Starter #489

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello bhvm, I've a Layman's question regarding installing these expensive LED bulbs.

Most modern car's especially SUV's have 2 separate holders for each side of headlights. These LED are for the extreme right side? So in normal usage what is the function of the inner light? Do both have Hi Lo filaments?

Do we need to install LED's in these also? Hope I've made my point understood.

Sorry for the nerd questions, if already answered elsewhere.

Regards
Vinod
Hello nano,
To help me better understand the question,
Are you talking about dual chambered headlights like found on XUV and safari Storme? (image 1,2,3)
If so, yes, there is a function for both of these bowls. The low beam bowl, often has a projector that has a decent cutoff, and limits glare on oncoming traffic due to inbuilt glare shield. The other bowl is often always a straight reflector, acting as High beam.

However, there are few examples like Duster or Older corolla altis (Image 4,5), which managed low beam without a projector. The reflector itself was designed with low beam function in mind.

Coming forward, Both of these bowls have their own bulb and connector. XUV has h7 bulbs on both bowls (4 bulbs per car). If you are upgrading these, you have to buy 4 LED bulbs for each. Both inner lamps are High beams, whereas outer projectors are for low beam.

Dual chambered lights are often H7, H1 or HB3. The bulb has single filament.
Single chamber (Old, cheaper light, like found on M800, Alto, swift etc) are h4, which has dual filament. H4 is a poorer spec in MANY fronts and is just a compromise.

BTW, LED bulbs are not expensive at all. Converse is true. I was able to get CREE h4 Oslamp h4 LED bulbs for my friend's safari at just 1500 a pair. The chips were'nt Cree XHP (Most expensive bulbs use cree XHP chip), but they were cree XBD. But for 1500, what gives! Even stupid premium halogens like Osram NB or Philips are over 1500 now.
Note- All images with due credit to respective forums or websites.

Attachments

Last edited:
This is not true.
HIDs require Care and etiquette to use. Flashing HIDs is sure way to kill them.
The Creta has a Solenoid shield, that controls the low and high beam pattern, so it should not cause harm to the HID while flashing, right?

Hello nano,
To help me better understand the question,
Are you talking about dual chambered headlights like found on XUV and safari Storme? (image 1,2,3)
If so, yes, there is a function for both of these bowls. The low beam bowl, often has a projector that has a decent cutoff, and limits glare on oncoming traffic due to inbuilt glare shield. The other bowl is often always a straight reflector, acting as High beam.
Very nicely put together.
However, there are few examples like Duster or Older corolla altis (Image 4,5), which managed low beam without a projector. The reflector itself was designed with low beam function in mind.

Coming forward, Both of these bowls have their own bulb and connector. XUV has h7 bulbs on both bowls (4 bulbs per car). If you are upgrading these, you have to buy 4 LED bulbs for each. Both inner lamps are High beams, whereas outer projectors are for low beam.
So my doubt is cleared, we have to buy 2 sets of these LED bulbs.
BTW, LED bulbs are not expensive at all. Converse is true. I was able to get CREE h4 Oslamp h4 LED bulbs for my friend's safari at just 1500 a pair. The chips were'nt Cree XHP (Most expensive bulbs use cree XHP chip), but they were cree XBD. But for 1500, what gives! Even stupid premium halogens like Osram NB or Philips are over 1500 now.
Note- All images with due credit to respective forums or websites.
I just checked amazon.in it shows 9.4k for a pair, can you please attach the 1500 a pair LED bulb reference, thanks.

Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #492

bhvm

Honoured Member
The Creta has a Solenoid shield, that controls the low and high beam pattern, so it should not cause harm to the HID while flashing, right?
I dont quite remember if Creta has Bi-xenon shield or dual chambered setup like XUV. i20 new one does have a bi-halogen projector, which can be upgraded to HID or LED.
Very nicely put together.

So my doubt is cleared, we have to buy 2 sets of these LED bulbs.

I just checked amazon.in it shows 9.4k for a pair, can you please attach the 1500 a pair LED bulb reference, thanks.

Regards
Vinod
For which car is this?

I brought these for Safari Dicor-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Osl...8d84-45b6-8770-fd2a5a0194fc&priceBeautifyAB=0

Looks like they have moved from Cree XBD to some cree clones. Removed cree name and as expected drop in price.

These are cree ones- (XML-2 U2 Chips, not XHP)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...2107-4540-b306-46bbbbdf600a&priceBeautifyAB=0

For laymans terms

XHP70> XHP50> XHP35> XML2- U2 > XML T6> XBD> MC-E

XHP chips as you can see are from 70w to 35w models
XML2 U2 is newer and improved XML T6, Both working at 10W
XBD is a 5W chips. Very small point source and very efficient.
MCE is 1 or 2 Watts. Very outdated.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #494

bhvm

Honoured Member
XHP70> XHP50> XHP35> XML2- U2 > XML T6> XBD> MC-E

XHP chips as you can see are from 70w to 35w models
XML2 U2 is newer and improved XML T6, Both working at 10W
XBD is a 5W chips. Very small point source and very efficient.
MCE is 1 or 2 Watts. Very outdated.
These are CREE LED chips of different capablities and power ratings.
All are from the category of HIGH POWER or BEAD type packaged LEDs
Extreme-High-Power XHP LEDs | Cree LED Components

Which category does the CSP, SMD, COB belong to??
These are type of LED assembling or packaging technologies.
High power package being the one discussed above. And is superior to all of these.

1.Chip Scale Package (CSP) technology. CSP technology eliminates the traditional submount to directly attach the LED die to the PCB, allowing for overall system cost reductions. As fully functional LED packages that are equal to or slightly larger than the size of a die, CSPs are increasingly being implemented in lighting designs.

https://www.lumileds.com/products/csp-leds

2. An SMD LED Module (surface-mount device light-emitting diode module) is a type of LED module that uses surface-mount technology (SMT) to mount LED chips on printed circuit boards (PCB). It is a self-contained surface-mount LED device designed either to function on its own or to plug into a compatible unit.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMD_LED_Module

In short, SMD leds are used for small indicators, toys and for LED strip (12v LED strip used for homes and decoration, Usually 5050 or 3528 are popular SMD chips)

3. COB
COB (Chips on Board) , is a new technology of LED packaging for LED light engine. Multi LED chips are packaged together as one lighting module. When it light up, it looks like a lighting panel..

what is COB LED chips on board
https://www.solarlightsmanufacturer.com/cob-led-smd-led/

Basically, COB was designed to be used for domestic and office lighting, to spread the light over a wider area and to reduce costs. Unfortunately, due to the cost factor, Chinese assemblers have brought them into automotive scene.

Attachments

Last edited:
These are CREE LED chips of different capablities and power ratings.
All are from the category of HIGH POWER or BEAD type packaged LEDs
Extreme-High-Power XHP LEDs | Cree LED Components

These are type of LED assembling or packaging technologies.
High power package being the one discussed above. And is superior to all of these.

1.Chip Scale Package (CSP) technology. CSP technology eliminates the traditional submount to directly attach the LED die to the PCB, allowing for overall system cost reductions. As fully functional LED packages that are equal to or slightly larger than the size of a die, CSPs are increasingly being implemented in lighting designs.

https://www.lumileds.com/products/csp-leds

2. An SMD LED Module (surface-mount device light-emitting diode module) is a type of LED module that uses surface-mount technology (SMT) to mount LED chips on printed circuit boards (PCB). It is a self-contained surface-mount LED device designed either to function on its own or to plug into a compatible unit.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMD_LED_Module

In short, SMD leds are used for small indicators, toys and for LED strip (12v LED strip used for homes and decoration, Usually 5050 or 3528 are popular SMD chips)

3. COB
COB (Chips on Board) , is a new technology of LED packaging for LED light engine. Multi LED chips are packaged together as one lighting module. When it light up, it looks like a lighting panel..

what is COB LED chips on board
https://www.solarlightsmanufacturer.com/cob-led-smd-led/

Basically, COB was designed to be used for domestic and office lighting, to spread the light over a wider area and to reduce costs. Unfortunately, due to the cost factor, Chinese assemblers have brought them into automotive scene.
You've outdone yourself once again - spectacular information! I'd previously assumed CSP was a LED brand.

Top Bottom