Restoring Jonga (1993) Back To Original

Thread Starter #1
Folks, so I am quite passionate about cars so was my dad . Owning the following till date
  • 1983 jeep 440 small
  • 1993 jonga modified to mini scorpio open back
  • 1990 540 modified ro armanda grand 6 speed ac
  • 2016 isuzu mu7
  • Sxorpio mhawk
  • Xuv 500 and many more
So this thread is about jonga which was lying unused for the past few years.

Current condition : body totally rusted. Mdi engine with 5 speed gear box

Yokahama tyres but worn out

Project : so after a lot of research wether i should restore the jonga or no finally decided for a yes. I found a genuine guy from nashik (name would be disclosed after work start and permission).

Start :

Part 1: Papers since the passing and tax were expired was not sure if it could be renewed as i has to scrap the 440 for the same reason. But found a guy who quoted 31k for the papers tax, passing insurance and transfer from mh04 dad to mh02 me .

Part 2: Transporting the vehicle from telangana to nashik . Was looking for a flat bed but couldn't find one hence settled for a dcm for 25k .covering 690 kms approx .it was a challenge in itself to load. Had to be done with a crane as didn't want to start the vehicle.

The vehicle would be reaching the workshop today evening .

Modifications list
Complete new body restoring back to jonga
Change of engine from mdi to scorpio 2.6 with gear box or was looking for a automatic gear box and engine and suggestions invited .
Tyres change
Susoension and comllete mechanical overhaul
Ac
Dashboard of thar or bolero

Only the chassis and papers of the jonga would be stock rest all would be restored .

Attaching few pics of the current condition and the expected look post restoration and during loading ..

Would require a lot of suggestions on the project specially automatic engine gear box etc

The current condition is as attached.

20200821_141824.jpg

IMG-20191231-WA0007.jpg

20200821_141807.jpg

IMG-20191231-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20191231-WA0011.jpg

expecting outcome as attached. Simple yet classy.

Guys need serious suggestions on good automatic engine gear boxes . It would be a 4x2.

20200821_141708.jpg

20200821_141750.jpg

20200821_141725.jpg

Transport in progress. Was challenging due to the carrier but since it was already rusted had to let it go.

IMG-20200820-WA0007.jpg

20200821_140159.jpg

20200821_140230.jpg

20200821_140130.jpg

350Z

Core Team
Hi @DrJviyala. Welcome back to The Automotive India. Thanks for sharing an awesome thread. I’m hooked to this one. Looking forward to more updates. [thumbsup]

Drive Safe,
350Z

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
This does not look like jonga from any angle. It's already heavily modified with parts from Scorpio and Bolero and maybe gypsy too . It's going to be a very tough task. Spare parts of OEM will be the biggest challenge.
I salute you and your courageous spirit.
Best of luck for the restoration.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
This does not look like jonga from any angle. It's already heavily modified with parts from Scorpio and Bolero and maybe gypsy too . It's going to be a very tough task. Spare parts of OEM will be the biggest challenge.
I salute you and your courageous spirit.
Best of luck for the restoration.
Hehe . Yes that was made when scorpio was launched . Now an entirely new body shell will be made and all old parts scraped

Thread Starter #6
So last saturday visited the workshop in nashik . There were many offroad vehicles that were there and which were modified for extreme off roads got a relief and belief that the vehicle was in good hands .the towing crane process had damaged the body to quite a wxtent. Anyways the body was to be scraped. So a few thinga that i came to know after the mechanics inspected the vehicle were as follows
1.body to be entirely made from scratch
2. Engine was of a tractor so no use of it
3. Chassis was welded to adjust the engine mounting according to thw engine

So now after as this i was worried if anythin could be used . And as i was goin to drive in city and highway and my main was cimfort i was suggested changing the chassis to a bolero front coil spring and rear leaf spring which would cost me a lakh extra .

Comformed about the other additions and modifications
1. Scorpio 2.6 chaindrive engine with 5+1 gb which i personally drove installed in a cjb was good powerful 120bhp machine
2. Interior of thar dashboard ,sterring,rear innova foldable seats
3. Ac of m&m
4. Centere console of xuv 500
5. Sunroof or full moon roof
6. Rear double door
7. Front bumper with a heavy rod extension
8. 31" tyres with steel sport rims
9. Led head and tail lights of wrangler
10. Side mirror of wrangler with alloys

Now the budget is up and stands at 5 lakhs odd

I have a few doubta which i would require suggestions on
1. Should i go for a sun roof as i have been told that there could be leakage problems
2. Should i opt for automatic front seata of skoda or anyother . I have been told that the motors may fail
I am not sure if the 2.6 chaindrive has a turbo and an intercooler . How will these 2 help and how could i increase the power pick up as its not an ecm engine please suggest
Color ua yet to be decided . Thinkin of mat gunmetal grey or matte grey or matte black.suggestiona needed

So last saturday visited the workshop in nashik . There were many offroad vehicles that were there and which were modified for extreme off roads got a relief and belief that the vehicle was in good hands .the towing crane process had damaged the body to quite a wxtent. Anyways the body was to be scraped. So a few thinga that i came to know after the mechanics inspected the vehicle were as follows
1.body to be entirely made from scratch
2. Engine was of a tractor so no use of it
3. Chassis was welded to adjust the engine mounting according to thw engine

So now after as this i was worried if anythin could be used . And as i was goin to drive in city and highway and my main was cimfort i was suggested changing the chassis to a bolero front coil spring and rear leaf spring which would cost me a lakh extra .

Comformed about the other additions and modifications
1. Scorpio 2.6 chaindrive engine with 5+1 gb which i personally drove installed in a cjb was good powerful 120bhp machine
2. Interior of thar dashboard ,sterring,rear innova foldable seats
3. Ac of m&m
4. Centere console of xuv 500
5. Sunroof or full moon roof
6. Rear double door
7. Front bumper with a heavy rod extension
8. 31" tyres with steel sport rims
9. Led head and tail lights of wrangler
10. Side mirror of wrangler with alloys

Now the budget is up and stands at 5 lakhs odd

I have a few doubta which i would require suggestions on
1. Should i go for a sun roof as i have been told that there could be leakage problems
2. Should i opt for automatic front seata of skoda or anyother . I have been told that the motors may fail
I am not sure if the 2.6 chaindrive has a turbo and an intercooler . How will these 2 help and how could i increase the power pick up as its not an ecm engine please suggest
Color ua yet to be decided . Thinkin of mat gunmetal grey or matte grey or matte black.suggestiona needed
I wonder all these possible technically without glitch that too in 5 lakhs bracket.

Thread title says Restoring to Original whereas now the plan is mix and match all possible combinations from M&M & Jeep.
Your plan of rebuild is no more road legal in our country.
Realistic solution is to buy a used THAR and enjoy hassle free ownership.

Thread Starter #12
Thread title says Restoring to Original whereas now the plan is mix and match all possible combinations from M&M & Jeep.
Your plan of rebuild is no more road legal in our country.
Realistic solution is to buy a used THAR and enjoy hassle free ownership.
There is no jeep parts involved . Its only m&m and jonga . The whole idea is to have somethin thats rear .ownin a thar would have been simplier but passion doesnt allow that

Thread Starter #14
Never knew Wrangler belonged to M&M or Jonga, please excuse me for the lack of knowledge.

All the best, glued to this thread.
Ooh god, I didn't know there are so many illegal vehicles on road because every 2nd thar or gypsy has these wrangler parts. I thought you meant major parts.

Lets cut the judging of legal and illegal and help if you have any suggestions.

Thanks boss.

Last edited by a moderator:
help if you have any suggestions
I'm glad to do, thanks for the opportunity
1) Ask mods to change the thread title unless you change your plans to restore back to original spec and shape
2) Read the forum protocols here
Perform a spell-check. Using SMS lingo (Eg: Hw r u?), slangs, dots (...), unknown abbreviations is forbidden as it affects readability of your posts.

Top Bottom