HM Ambassador MK-II: Restoring To Original Shape

Coimbatore Auto Garage (CAG) on Avinashi Road were doing good job for ambys, but don't know whether they are still doing the job after they converted their garage partly into used car showroom . Maybe members from CBE can enlighten us on this.

How is it going with the restoration. I am also restoring my father's 69 Amby.
Hi 69AMBY,

A very warm Welcome to The Automotive India.

It would be nice to have your Amby's restoration pics onboard. Tell us more about your prized possession.

speedodude: Oh ! Amby mark II ! You're one lucky guy ! Though I have never owned an Ambassador, I remember the various drives that I have gone on in one. Most comfortable car. Lent a sense of security and wellness (provided one is not driving it !). Sit on the back seat, roll up the windows, switch on the music (and AC, if present), and just forget about the world. One day, I will own an Ambassador. All the best for your restoration. Eagerly awaiting the restoration/final pictures.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20
thanks everybody ,was busy with my work. was in coimbatore last week and also pollachi my inlaws place ,was busy hunting for gud mechanics one garage i went through reference it is in awarapalayam road ,puthiyavar nagar behind raamakrishna hall there i met a aged guy who was quite interested in old vehicles but now he is not restoring it due to shortage of manpower.he just buys and sells old vehicles to enthusiasts i saw fleet of old mark 1 ambys was very impressed,i needed some original parts for my car like monogram ,tail light,etc he took my number but he did not respond inspite of repeaed requests , met a mechanic in pollachi he too was interested in ambys talked to him about y plans he was interested (of course as i am an outsider he can charge more than the locals ) now i am taking my amby next week there ,have given for service and needed to change new rings for my engine as it emits hell lot of exhaust black smoke.

have got front mark 2 grill,bumpers both sides ,monogram on the bonnet from scrap yard market from pollachi but their charge is very high couldnt help it but purchased it with the help of my local relative .........another thing i want to mention is i saw many ambys which came to be broken down in scrap yard in pollachi which had isuzi engines and isuzi gear box was shocked to c in our place we dont get it so easily. want to change the engine to isuzi diesel from the current matador 305 engine ,but now rto dosent allow engine conversin in rc books only due to this have put a hold to this plan, rest all the exterior will be changed to mark 2 .
thanks every one for ur suggestions ,will keep updating

350Z

Core Team
Congrats and thanks for coming back to update this thread. Please upload a few latest images to spice up this thread. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #23
[:)] at last i am back from my hectic work schedule.friends at last our car is undergoing surgery in pollachi near coimbatore found out a mechanic or doctor to take care of our beauty .the front grill is gone and the alteration is goin on neatly kept my fingers crossed.had quite a tough time searching for parts .almost i have got 75% of the parts in coimbatore ,pollachi hunting for mark2 logo . the budget what regarding tinkering and alteration is 12k after dat heading for paint.
well the paint colour is still in delema as what colour is to go for as there's lot of chrome how about dark maroon ,or the cream color now u see in todays car which is common. as the mechanic says he uses aspa type paint which i dont what and how it is could u all tell me how it is ,i am in the idea of using dupont brand as it is well heard of and standard .my budget for painting is 15k will see how the things will turn as i am staying in mangalore cant go frequently to pollachi .just left it in care of my relatives

Attachments

Nice to see an old dowager being brought to life again. As for the paint, go for DupPont 2k - it's good. Dark maroon looks great on the Amby with lots of chrome accents. Black looks good to but requires lot of maintenance and may not look good on an old car with imperfections in the body panels. The last option is the good old white.

Thread Starter #26
hello everybody,
the tinkering work is complete, was hunting for good painters as our mechanic contacts were not to their best so had to hunt for myself finally found a painter last week discussed and finally he accepted but the thing is he is asking 2 to 3 months time .i suggested him to scrap the paint till the metal visibility he told thats not needed, finally i accepted to his style of procedures he quoted 23k but 2 to 3 months and that too monsoons coming by , all say labour problem and hesitate to take an amby for work .will keep updating as for now no photos ,will post it soon

Waiting to see the Ambassador up and running. Surprising to know that Amby spares are difficult to source down South. Maybe it's high time you made a trip to Calcutta for the rest 25% !

Thread Starter #29
ilango the way you said 2 to 3 months makes me think. do painter realy take 2 to 3 months as u know more than me regarding auto field . some times i feel let me take 10days off and work with the painter so that my car has a speedy work .please improve my knowledge brother

sam as i am in karnataka and i have given my amby work in tamilnad me cannot go frequently up and down so have requested my relatives to see the work progress then and now and keep me updated ,and when ever i go make the best efforts to get the needed parts from market .soon will keep posting some snaps . thanks for ur reply

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30
am back with the updates was busy with my work.some how been to the garage and the car is in the paint shop the painter is well experienced as wat ive heard from references by may last week hope the car to be ready, had been to koyas in coimbatore and got quotation for the interiors .will be posting some snaps from the garage

Attachments

Top Bottom