Restoring a Kinetic Honda

Wow !! The scooter looks good now.

Any reason to paint this color ?
I would suggest you replace the indicators / tail lamps with the last type (clean lens) which came with this scooter.

CANDY [glasses] will look very bling in the sunlight.

For the clear coat, is there any adjustment on the gun to control the spray?

Thread Starter #19
Project completed and Scooter is delivered :D

CANDY [glasses] will look very bling in the sunlight.

For the clear coat, is there any adjustment on the gun to control the spray?
Yeah you are right about the colour, almost everyone seems to give it a second glance since morning. To spray the Clear Coat, there are no major changes as such on the gun controls, except that the gun needs to be cleaned quite often.

Wow !! The scooter looks good now.

Any reason to paint this color ?
I would suggest you replace the indicators / tail lamps with the last type (clean lens) which came with this scooter.
The colour was chosen by the Painting guru and I just nodded my head. The owner thought that I was joking about the red colour, he always thought I would be painting it white. However he likes this colour also

The clear indicators are quite costly (compared to other parts) hence I skipped it, also wanted to keep the overall cost below 2.5K.

Thank you Sir.

OT: (Off topic)
Usually this colour bridal wear looks awesome as seen in some marriages [;)].

Very good restoration buddy.
Thanks Amit.

The Big Update:

Today I went to J.C.Road, most shops were closed, still managed to get a partly broken Air Filter body (plastic part that holds the Air filter sponge on it), may be this is one of the last few pieces left in those shops. This one costed me 55rupees and about 45mins to walk to & fro to every shop that's open.

Also got a rear view mirror for left side and new front axle rod (old one was in terrible condition).

I met the owner at his office and took him to my home and he helped me out for a few hours to fix a few things and I showed him all the work done so far and a few tips on how to fix basic problems, what issues to expect in the next couple of months.

last few (1).jpg

last few (2).jpg

last few (3).jpg

last few (4).jpg

Then I did a few things to make him more comfortable with the vehicle

1. Tuned the idling and tightened the throttle cable
  2. Fixed the airfilter body and the sponge in place
  3. Fixed the outer metal body protector as it was before
  4. Fixed back the stepney (I could not get a good piece for that grab rail type to replace it)
  5. Took it for a fast test drive on different roads and checked for brakes, rattles etc
  6. Gave a packet with screws (replacements for most of the them in the bike), just bought from J.C.Road, so incase he needs them for any reason in future.
  7. Showed him all the pictures of the restoration from day 1 till date.
  8. Showed him how to adjust the brakes, just in case he wants to adjust it later.
  9. Stuck all the body stickers, he fixed the 2 stickers on the mudguard (DIY)
  10. He took a test drive and came back with a very positive smile, delighted with the overall condition of the bike.
  11. Speedometer works as usual.
  12. Gave him 50ml of the original Metallic shade (added a bit of PU thinner, just in case he needs it)
  13. Cotton waste
  14. All documents and contents of the glove box in a cover

What is still pending: These things will be taken care by him within a week

• Center stand spring is fine, but a small welding needs to be done.
  • One of the new plastic pieces in the front headlamp frame is not fixed, I dont have the correct screws.
  • Right side front indicator does not flash, just managed to get one working
  • Wet sanding and polishing (I will do it after a week or ten days)
  • Suggested him to change the RIM of back wheel

What has improved?
  1. Looks better than before
  2. Key controls are butter smooth - Throttle and Brake levers
  3. Self start should start working in a day or two (battery needs to be charged while running)
  4. Stopping distance is reduced, more predictable, more balanced while braking
  5. Major rattles form rear wheel and right side pull from front wheel is solved
  6. Idles well, starts in one kick start, horn works.

Usually my friend (WagonR guy) is the one who clicks the pics, today he dint come so not much pics to post. Tomorrow morning I will go to the owners house (before he leaves to work) and click a few pics of the bike (daytime ones).

So far the owner has spent about 2K easily everytime he services the bike (once in 2months) although the bike has not been serviced in last 6months, he felt it has never been this smooth till date.

In a 2 wheeler, some parts are cheap, yet they are the ones which decide the ride comfort. So changing these can simply add 5stars to the new looks. No point in giving a fresh coat of paint, if the bike doesn't start in a single kick. Isn't it?

Even if the old cables are fine, still changing these brake and throttle cables makes all the money spent on it worth while.

The bill:

Spares came to Rs.1570/-

Throttle Cable = 155/-
Front brake cable = 105/-
Rear brake cable = 115/-
Front hub caps (2nos) = 30/-
Indicator (front right) = 110/-
Headlamp outer Frame = 90/-
Meter Panel = 80/-
Sticker Kit = 250/-
Air Filter = 50/-
Y2K type headlamp seperator plastics = 75/-
Handle Grip = 120/- (wrong size, wont fit on Kinetic, no exchange policy)
LH mirror = 40/-
Air Filter body = 55/-
Parking = 15/-
Water Wash = 40/-
Battery charge = 70/-
Petrol = 100/-
Front Axle Rod = 60/-
Mechanic labour to remove throttle cable screws = 10/-

All paint materials = 1000/- (approx)
I have paid an advance of 1000/- so far, will check the bill with the Painting guru by tomorrow.

What is not charged:
  1. Labour cost is zero
  2. All my time (with a smile)
  3. No charges for all nuts and bolts replaced so far (worth about 150/- approx)
  4. No charges for any minor quantity of painting material/consumable I already had at home (Putty, blades, sandpapers, body filler etc)
  5. Only fuel charge added is the one for me to visit J.C.Road twice to hunt the parts

A lot of things have changed in the bike for just 2500/- and about 3days of effort. Hope the owner likes my way of saying thank you. I will post daytime pics by tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Few things I have decided
1. No major painting work till I have a covered space to paint
2. Strictly daytime work (no more nighttime, low light issues)
3. Planning to buy a car body panel from scrapyard and will try to practice Body filler and putty works (too much to learn in this area)

Last edited:
superb, a great work done mate.The spirits you have is commendable to get this work done.And the shade does looks good for sure.

Anand, what a fantastic way of saying Thanks man!! Absolutely the Kinetic is looking charming! Very well done. I simply love the dedication and the love towards each and every job you do bro. You really have a long way to go. God bless!!

Thanks Chartithao,

One more pic - the before vs after comparison.
View attachment 112736
Amazing job done on Kinetic [clap] Anand. I started reading all your post on M800 as I was searching for help on fixing coolant issue on my M800 "which is fixed now" and started following all your thread. After coming from office[;)] will share a separate thread on my car. Hope all gurus could help me[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Anand, I am late to congratulate you. Sorry.

I have a 1996 Kinetic Honda ZX which I have dismantled down to the piston and crank but I just cannot find the time to restore it. This thread has given me the itch to take up the mantle and bring my old friend to life. Again.

Maybe if I were in Bangalore, I would have just entrusted it to you.

Kudos. Good job done[clap].

Thread Starter #28
I too could not believe initially, the difference between before and after clear coat is too much.

Thanks a lot Sir. All the best for the Kinetic work. It will be worth all the time spent once its restored.

Anand, what a fantastic way of ..
Thanks again.

Amazing job done on Kinetic ..
Thanks Joshua and welcome to TAI. We will definitely support you with all info once you start your ownership thread (upload good no:of photos too).

Last 3 days my mind was like a "Cat on wall", I had 3 restoration offers in hand and was struggling to say NO.

1. A Daewoo Cielo - Front windshield broken, interiors soaked in rain water, not started for nearly a year, seats chewn away by rats, roof dented by a small tree branch (fallen), Front right wheel punctured, all wires intact, no oil leaks, dashboard cracked at a few places, No major rusting signs, dirtiest car seen till date, Boot space was unbelievably clean and 0% rust, one Til lamp broken.

I saw the above car almost 15days back, finally I declined to work on this just in the morning as I have absolutely no space to park such a big car in front of my home and also the buyer and seller of this car have no respect for it. Restoration isn't only about money/margin/profit, a sense of satisfaction is a must, if not, there would be no joy in spending all my time and effort on it.

Although I would have earned about 7K in 7days, I had to say no. If done, this would have been my biggest restoration till date. The interiors were completely filled with dust, cigarette buds, tree nuts, rain water and leaves. A dream restoration continues to be a dream.

2. One of my friend wants to buy a Ford Ikon (the same Palio person) and wants me to do some basic maintenance and sort out a Steering oil leak in that car. I want to stay away for time being from anything that has to do with mechanical and electrical issues in MPFi cars.

A Baleno's front bumper paint was chipped due to a mild collision and wanted a quick fix last night. I just adviced him to get it stickered as painting complete bumper takes time and I am not that skilled to get the shades right. Even if paint given by the shop is of the correct code, if the final laquer is diluted with just 5% extra thinner, the final colour will look 10 - 15% darker than what we expected. This has to be done only in daytime.

Now sitting at home and unwillingly preparing resume for next job (bpo again may be) and praying that I land with another restoration before my interviews.[;)]

Great job done! [clap]
It reminded me of what I got done to my dad's old Kinetic. Here are the pics. But you did it on your own, which is excellent.

Attachments

Top Bottom