Restoration of API Lambretta

Painting work is done & ready to be fit on chassis. Fitting might take sometime as it will be done at my friend's garage.
Hi SS80,
Great pics, Your paint job has come out well. The satisfaction you get while you DIY is immense. Actually I was expecting the side panels in red. Or else is the main chassis painted red?? Would like to see the pics of the chassis frame and tool box door as well.
Though I am not sure if you unknowingly filled in putty in the marked holes or it is not visible in the photo. Please see attached picture for reference. Holes are not visible for the Lamby 150 badge & floor board strips.
-Ilango

Attachments

Oh !! Sethu, I am just imagining this, Sethu on a lambretta, pillion RK[clap] with two short helmets like kareena kapoor in 3 Idiots [clap]
Ha Ha... Actually I love Lambretta.. My father had 3 Labratta [ one after another ] always, used one and restored it with fantastic painting. Un fortunately I dont have any pic of that.

I have learned two wheeler driving in our lambretta only. After I finished college My father gave it to me for my use mostly. I will take my mom where ever she wants to go, I will take it to meet my friends.

It used to be our family scooter till my schooling days. Dad would drive, younger sister in front, Middle sister between mom and dad, Mom used to sit in rear seat and mine would be carrier always. we have roamed entire madurai in the same lambratta.

That is the reason I said SS80 that I wanted one.

Ha Ha... Actually I love Lambretta.. My father had 3 Labratta [ one after another ] always, used one and restored it with fantastic painting. Un fortunately I dont have any pic of that.

I have learned two wheeler driving in our lambretta only. After I finished college My father gave it to me for my use mostly. I will take my mom where ever she wants to go, I will take it to meet my friends.

It used to be our family scooter till my schooling days. Dad would drive, younger sister in front, Middle sister between mom and dad, Mom used to sit in rear seat and mine would be carrier always. we have roamed entire madurai in the same lambratta.

That is the reason I said SS80 that I wanted one.
+100, Sethu, Yeah, I used to have one, and I think I started learning on this in my school days, but this used to be heavy for me to handle I was so lean those days and I used to ask some body who is going on road to catch that till I move from there and if I want to stop some where then I used to search for a big stone where I can keep my leg and stop[clap]. I placed a Stone at my home and used that everytime I start and go and returning back, one fine day one of my cousin removed that stone from there to have fun, then you know I was doing circles at home and not able to stop it, then my mom came out and laughed at me and kept a new stone there[:)] Those days were really funny !!

Hi SS80,
Great pics, Your paint job has come out well. The satisfaction you get while you DIY is immense. Actually I was expecting the side panels in red. Or else is the main chassis painted red?? Would like to see the pics of the chassis frame and tool box door as well.
Though I am not sure if you unknowingly filled in putty in the marked holes or it is not visible in the photo. Please see attached picture for reference. Holes are not visible for the Lamby 150 badge & floor board strips.
-Ilango

Oops Mr. Ilango, that was great observation. It seems you are also done or interested in restoration or lambreatta lover.

+100, Sethu, Yeah, I used to have one, and I think I started learning on this in my school days, but this used to be heavy for me to handle I was so lean those days and I used to ask some body who is going on road to catch that till I move from there and if I want to stop some where then I used to search for a big stone where I can keep my leg and stop[clap]. I placed a Stone at my home and used that everytime I start and go and returning back, one fine day one of my cousin removed that stone from there to have fun, then you know I was doing circles at home and not able to stop it, then my mom came out and laughed at me and kept a new stone there[:)] Those days were really funny !!
Ha Ha.. That would have been reall fun seeing you looking for some one to hold you when you want to start or stop. It remembers me a Tamil movie in which a comedian will teach another comedian how to climb up and ride cycle. But he will not teach him how to get down. like how you do, the comedian 1 used to get down using a stone.

Good.

But luckily I was 5.8 or 5.9 during my college days. I start driving only after I finish college. So no problem for me. The fun part in my learning was, my father was working as Driver in Madurai Corporation and he used to drive for Mayor of Madurai corporation. So everyday after noon he will have rest. He will come home and take a small nap after lunch. I will use this time and take the scooter and move it to some distance without starting it. Once iam in a safe distance I will start the scotter and go for a round. While coming back I will switch off the scooter in safe distance.

But later my father told me that he knows that am using that scooter from the way I used to park. I dont know what he noticed. But he did n't tell me anything.

Love him.

Oops Mr. Ilango, that was great observation. It seems you are also done or interested in restoration or lambreatta lover.
Hi Sethumurugan,
Yes, I have restored a couple of Lambrettas & Vijays by myself. I outsource only the paint job. The rest I do at home at my own leisure. I have a Vijai Super 1983 model which is my daily runner and it takes me to office. My dad has a 1985 Vijai Mark - II.

@ ss80, please go for Friction free cables of Auto Rickshaws which have a Nylon lining inside. It is self lubricated and feels butter smooth. They are little expensive, but worth the investment. For the rear brakes if you plan to replace the OE ones it is highly advisable to use the hand brake cable of Maruti 800. It also have the Nylon lining inside. I did it on one of my friend's Li 150 and the smoothness in operation in great.

Thread Starter #52
Hi Sethumurugan,
Yes, I have restored a couple of Lambrettas & Vijays by myself. I outsource only the paint job. The rest I do at home at my own leisure. I have a Vijai Super 1983 model which is my daily runner and it takes me to office. My dad has a 1985 Vijai Mark - II.

I am sure your Super Vijay's will be grabbing enough eye balls everyday [:)]

@ ss80, please go for Friction free cables of Auto Rickshaws which have a Nylon lining inside. It is self lubricated and feels butter smooth. They are little expensive, but worth the investment. For the rear brakes if you plan to replace the OE ones it is highly advisable to use the hand brake cable of Maruti 800. It also have the Nylon lining inside. I did it on one of my friend's Li 150 and the smoothness in operation in great.

Experience speaks, your advise is certainly a kind of DIY (worth trying for sure) I will certainly share this info with my friends (the owner & the mechanic)

Hi SS80,
-Ilango
The Chassis, nose, top of handle bar is full red. The Glove box door & side shields are in white. I will have to poke & make holes now so that we can fit those strips & badge. I was worried if paint might leak (drop formation on otherside if I leave the holes open & paint it, so covered them with Putty & did full painting.

Cool SS80. I know it is going to look great when all assembled. Pls share the cost involved from the purchase of the vehicle. Let me look into it. Even if am not able to do it, I have a mechanic [Regular mechanic some 10 years back, lost touch with him and suddenly saw him opening a garage near my house]. Let me try with him.
I will certainly put here all the cost involved shortly. I have a good news for you, I know a Lamby 150 which needs restoration & is for sale in Bangalore. Its a TamilNadu Regd vehicle, let me know if you are interested I will try sending pictures to you & will also share the owners number in PM.

Today packed everything & loaded onto a Palio Sports 1.2 car & drove it to the garage. I will try to update here shortly on the progress. I am pleasantly surprised by the no:of Lambi lovers here, Thanks a lot guys.[clap]

I will certainly put here all the cost involved shortly. I have a good news for you, I know a Lamby 150 which needs restoration & is for sale in Bangalore. Its a TamilNadu Regd vehicle, let me know if you are interested I will try sending pictures to you & will also share the owners number in PM.

[clap]
Thanks SS80. Pls share the pics and cost. If possible [Lot of commitments for next couple of months] I will surely buy it.

Hi Dude

Gr8 efforts taken on this Lamby.. Looks awesome..[:)] This scooter seems to be Tamilnadu registered.. Is it so? It looks like Coimbatore registered vehicle. (TDB) Eagerly awaiting to see the finished product[clap]

Thread Starter #58
Fantastic and its gone be an worth to wait. Soo looking forward too see the new generation Lamby.....[;)]
superb work buddy, hope we'll have a great eye candy.
Hi ss80,awesome mouthwatering restoration.[clap]
Looking forward to see the final product.
Thanks SS80. Pls share the pics and cost. If possible [Lot of commitments for next couple of months] I will surely buy it.
Thanks everyone for the support. The mechanic who is servicing the Lambi's engine is out of town, so things are getting a bit delayed. Atleast in a months time we should be able to finish this project.

Shrikant:
Gr8 efforts taken on this Lamby.. Looks awesome.. This scooter seems to be Tamilnadu registered.. Is it so? It looks like Coimbatore registered vehicle. (TDB) Eagerly awaiting to see the finished product

Yes you are right, it is a TN vehicle, not sure if it is from Coimbatore.

Thread Starter #60
Thanks Sam Sir,
The engine has been stripped for cleaning & inspection for any issues etc. But the guy who took it apart will return only after Diwali so everything is in bits & pieces at the mechanic shop. In fact I suggested my friend (the owner) that we'll fix the body to the frame & take a few pictures but even that is not happening as he's extremely disappointed with the mechanical delays.

I will update here as soon as anything comes up. Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom