Restoration of 1979 Yezdi

Re: Restoration of a 1979 Yezdi

Shreyas I believe there are a couple of guys who have rebuilt a yezdi in our forums, Sam Dinkar is one of them , I will PM him to bring his attention to this thread. He might even quit his job to help you out!

Dear shreyasbj,

This is a Yezdi 250 Classic with the CL-II's front fender, headlamp, and meters. The body seems to be in pretty good nick - you're lucky that the carb cover is there in place. Since you are in Bangalore, the restoration is easily doable.

Please share a few details:

1. Have you purchased this motorcycle?

2. Are the papers in order?

3. Does it start?

4. How much are you willing to spend on it (cost of motorcycle + cost of restoration)?

5. Who is the present owner of this motorcycle?

6. How long has it been lying around in this state?

7. Do you know any good mechanics in Bangalore? There are at least two good Yezdi mechanics in Bangalore to my knowledge.

8. What is your technical proficiency regarding such restoration? Do you have a fair idea what you are getting into?

9. How long do you plan to own this Yezdi after you restore it?

10. What are your expectations from this motorcycle after it is restored?

11. Are you willing to travel to Mysore to source some spare parts that may not be available in Bangalore?

12. Does the kick starter move freely? Is the piston movement smooth? The oil stains on the clutch cover and crankcase have me believe that this motorcycle hasn't been started for a long time.

Please share few more close ups of the motorcycle. Click as many pictures of as many areas of this motorcycle as you wish and post them here. I will guide you in totality.

Here's a snap of my fully restored Roadking to whet your appetite:

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

Shreyas I believe there are a couple of guys who have rebuilt a yezdi in our forums, Sam Dinkar is one of them , I will PM him to bring his attention to this thread. He might even quit his job to help you out!
Thank You Iron Rock..I will definitely need all the help that i get..

Thread Starter #5

Dear shreyasbj,

This is a Yezdi 250 Classic with the CL-II's front fender, headlamp, and meters. The body seems to be in pretty good nick - you're lucky that the carb cover is there in place. Since you are in Bangalore, the restoration is easily doable.

Please share a few details:

1. Have you purchased this motorcycle?

2. Are the papers in order?

3. Does it start?

4. How much are you willing to spend on it (cost of motorcycle + cost of restoration)?

5. Who is the present owner of this motorcycle?

6. How long has it been lying around in this state?

7. Do you know any good mechanics in Bangalore? There are at least two good Yezdi mechanics in Bangalore to my knowledge.

8. What is your technical proficiency regarding such restoration? Do you have a fair idea what you are getting into?

9. How long do you plan to own this Yezdi after you restore it?

10. What are your expectations from this motorcycle after it is restored?

11. Are you willing to travel to Mysore to source some spare parts that may not be available in Bangalore?

12. Does the kick starter move freely? Is the piston movement smooth? The oil stains on the clutch cover and crankcase have me believe that this motorcycle hasn't been started for a long time.

Please share few more close ups of the motorcycle. Click as many pictures of as many areas of this motorcycle as you wish and post them here. I will guide you in totality.

Here's a snap of my fully restored Roadking to whet your appetite:
1. Yes,It was given to me

2. Original papers are lost.but have filed an FIR and have submitted to RTO for duplicate documents

3. NO,all electrical wiring is missing

4. Basically the cost of the motorcycle is nil, and i am willing to spend 15-20k for the restoration.

5. My uncle

6. It has been in his barn for almost a decade

7.No

8. I have some technical knowledge pertaining to bikes since i happen to be a mechanical engineer. Although to be honest i am totally blank with this specific bike[confused]

9. I plan to keep it for a very long time(atleast 5 years)

10. I intend to ride this motorcycle to work atleast once a week and on some weekend getaways.

11. Yes. I am definitely willing to travel anywhere its required

12. The kicker moves freely. The bike was last started some 12-14 yrs back and its been in his barn ever since.The oil started leaking wen i laid the bike sideways to free the chain guard which had been dislodged and had jammed into the chain. The oil though seemed to be new.[:D] was clear as it flowed.

And that is a neat bike that you are having? can you tell me how much did it cost to restore that ? and where did you get it done ?

Thread Starter #6
Dismantled the silencer and rims yesterday..rust on the rims appear to be superficial. Puncture in both tires have been removed.. Can anyone suggest me a good mechanic to get the Engine work done...?

Here are some of the photos of the tyres 2013-07-17 18.37.50.jpg

2013-07-17 18.37.57.jpg

2013-07-17 18.38.04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Its going to be one of the interesting thread in this Forum.
I hope SAM DINKAR will guide you till the end of Restoration.

Atleast update this post once in a week if you are busy..

Thread Starter #10
Hello guys,
I had just been to a mechanic who seems to specialize in the restoration of Yezdi bikes. His name is Tony and has his garage at malleshwaram. He is currently restoring a 1980 model and a 1994 Roadking. seems to be good at what he's being doing. will check out few more garages and am hopeful to start the Engine restoration by the end of the week.

Can anyone suggest me places from where i can get a wiring kit for the bike, also there is rust inside the petrol tank.Can sandblasting be of any help considering the fragile state of the tank ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Need help in finding a front mudguard..Any suggestions ???. I had been to shivajinagar but could not get my hands on that..Please suggest.

Really nice bike. My uncle had a simillar one. I still remember the good old days when he used to pick me up from school. Loved the feeling, sitting on the fuel tank.

Top Bottom