Resetting an ECU - Update

Thread Starter #1

zengetz

Suspended
Hello Tai-gers!

I reset my ECU last night. The steps followed.

1. With the car engine off, carefully disconnect the ECU fuse.
2. Disconnect the Ground terminal of the car battery.
3. Keep the brake pressed for a minute or two (It is said that the capacitors are discharged, cant see how its possible after disconnecting the battery but I went ahead and did it.)
4. Re-connected the battery in the morning.

Start the car and let it warm up for a couple of minutes.

Now the fun part - You get to train the car the way you want and the fresh ECU settings get adjusted to the kind of driving style you get to train the car or the first 50-100 kms.

If you are looking to train the car in economy mode, drive normally and engaging the top gear on lines with the recommended gear shift speed instructions as advised by the car handbook.

If you want the ECU to get into more aggressive maps, then rip the in high rpms in for the first 50-100kms. The ECU gets programmed in that fashion

My Getz CRDi is already a beast but I wanted to this as my last service done was after 10k kms.That's about 5k kmsoverdue ! So I knew the ECU must have got adjusted to that mode and after a fresh service, I wanted the ECU reset but the Service center guys said it doesn't make any difference.

REALLY ?

I will be posting pics later tonight when I am going for a test run and post pictures of the cars top speeds at 2000RPM in all gears.

Here's a sneak of my run earlier at 1600RPM (only) in 5th gear :)

Attachments

This exercise is of no use. The long term fuel trim is constantly updating with a slight delay.

All you get with disconnecting the power supply is getting the car back to base map and it will go through the adaption routine with base map only. When the engine hits the different mapping points a couple of times it will just do the adjustment for these mapping points.

Thread Starter #3

zengetz

Suspended
Exactly - but cant this be done after a fresh service ? The factory settings have got applied like you mentioned but so has the noticeable power difference.

I've will have to now see if my fuel effeciency has gone for a toss !

there is no AI inside the ecu. so do not expect any mind reading technique.
ecu operates and adjust as per requirements of pedal press and engine demands.
which it stores momentarily then it has to return to original map in ecu.
for performance boost or FE boost one need to remapp or reprogram the ECu or find other alternatives like airfilter chenge or such modifications.

Exactly - but cant this be done after a fresh service ? The factory settings have got applied like you mentioned but so has the noticeable power difference.

I've will have to now see if my fuel effeciency has gone for a toss !
Usually power will be down, when the long term fuel trim is deleted. The whole point of it is to optimise the base according to the ambient conditions, which the ECU is allowed within a set window..

AMG

Suspended
There is only one way to get more performance.
Remap the ECU by connecting it to a computer.

This thing wont work.

what are you trying to do by Resetting your ECU

As AMG said you might need to re-map ecu or install some aftermarket Chip (Monster chips) to achieve performance but its gona adversely effect the mileage too

Thread Starter #9

zengetz

Suspended
Hi Guys

After trying it out I could see a good difference (In power) in the way it was and the way it is (I know that it will go back to an optimum setting during the course of time)

But my objective to get it back to factory settings was what I was looking for and believe me it worked.

" I never said remap-your ECU DIY style and get more power :) "

This thread was only to show the steps followed to reset the ECU/ECM and what my notes were.

Conclusion -

1. Car showed more power than before BUT not more than what was given on day 1 driving out of the showroom.

2. Watching fuel efficiency and like mentioned - seems to have dropped slightly.

Thanks

Avi

AMG

Suspended
If you think that the car is going faster, you will actually feel tha car is going faster, even though the numerical data may prove otherwise.

Watching fuel efficiency and like mentioned - seems to have dropped slightly.
zengetz , the changes you felt, are they noticeable?
can a third person say the difference or is it just mild .

because i always do this "resetting" thing in my puntowhich is unavoidable for my case. because i fiddle with the electric electroncis of my car every now and then. to be on safer side i usually remove bettery terminals .and untill the work is complete i may not be able to connect the terminals back which means punto remains off for a day or two sometimes.
but i never felt any difference or change in power or mileage whatsoever.
only thing is change in time which need to be set again manually. even the odometer and radio presets and other my car feature is well remember and stays intact ,stays same.

Thread Starter #12

zengetz

Suspended
Im not exaggerating but I did feel a good increase in the pulling power.
Im in no grounds to support any of the issues fellow TAI-GERS have raised on this thread as my observations proved some difference.

After my reset, I took it for a high revv spin for about 30-40 kms and one thing I noticed is the speed breaker in my colony is where I normally slowdown, engage in 2nd gear and just release my clutch and the car pulls itself.

After the reset, my habit Im doing this but the pull is not there like before. So something has changed here.

More observation in progress.

Thanks
Avi

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #13

zengetz

Suspended
Speeds at 2000RPM at different gears

Gear 2 - 38KMPH
Gear 3 - 56KMPH
Gear 4 - 78KMPH
Gear 5 - 97KMPH

we cannot reset the ECU by doing this.
it can only be reset by attaching a proper hardware n software.
n the differences u notice they r only because your thinking.
your efficiency drops a little because of fresh service it will regains after 90-100km
[embarass]

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom