Required MUV / SUV in 11 Lacs Budget

Yes I am waiting for the launch eagerly. If a variant with ABS, Dual Airbags, Rear AC vents is priced anywhere around 10- 10.3Lacs ex showroom, I think we will go for it with our eyes shut. Anything beyond that would make me do some more market research as to get the best buy in the range.
After seeing Storm in real, I feel that you can go with it hopefully which will fall in your budget it self !! once you see this, then you will defenately forget about rest of the features simply[:)]

The looks of safari storme are very much subjective and if i were a buyer now in the current scenario and was looking for a new launch i would definitely go for FORD Ecosport.. Ohh boy isn't it sexy [;)]

Yes looks of Storm are subjective until one see that[:)], Yes Ecosport is really peppy and I also like it much, but Storm and Ecosport both are different things !!

Doesn't it qualify for a MUV? [:)]

It has got loads of space and good FE with its 1.5L diesel engines. Nissan is also known for its reliability. Its just a suggestion from my end. Anyway, we need to wait for at least 6 months to get all the +ve and -ve points of this one.

Doesn't it qualify for a MUV? [:)]

It has got loads of space and good FE with its 1.5L diesel engines. Nissan is also known for its reliability. Its just a suggestion from my end. Anyway, we need to wait for at least 6 months to get all the +ve and -ve points of this one.
Dear he wants to buy a SUV not muv [:)]

@gm88- I don't think strome with abs and airbags will be 11 lakhs . You might get one with abs but airbags iam sure you won't .

Yes looks of Storm are subjective until one see that[:)], Yes Ecosport is really peppy and I also like it much, but Storm and Ecosport both are different things !!
You are correct, until one sees it in real flesh can't comment so straight, but i remember when duster was launched there was a big gaga over it but after seeing it on flesh it was a not great looker but a descent performer, the same goes with storme

But as a SUV buyer its better to a vouch on Ford over Tata as for its fit and finish and being a EX Ford car owner i would really vouch on it, my ford Ikon which was 5 years old when i sold it is still great with no rattles, leaving the service bills apart[:D]

But things have changed and my friend's all new ford fiesta latest service bill for 20K is a big proof for it

Thread Starter #56
After seeing Storm in real, I feel that you can go with it hopefully which will fall in your budget it self !! once you see this, then you will defenately forget about rest of the features simply[:)]
Wow! Your feedback really gives me a ray of hope. Eagerly waiting to see it in person myself.

The looks of safari storme are very much subjective and if i were a buyer now in the current scenario and was looking for a new launch i would definitely go for FORD Ecosport.. Ohh boy isn't it sexy [;)]
Yes even I would have had gone for the Ecosport if I was looking for a car for myself. But we are looking for a car that my Dad would be driving and I don't really want him to be driving something so funky. Safari storme or even an Innova would be better I guess for him.

Nobody has mentioned about Nissan Evalia. Why don't you test drive this too?

Price range starts from 8.49 to 9.99L.
Well thanks for the suggestion but I really don't like the van looks of the Evalia. I knew it was going to be launched soon but it never really clicked. Even though the pricing seems to be spot on but IMO it won't go down too well with people looking for a car for their personal use. They would rather go for Ertiga at that price bracket.

Dear he wants to buy a SUV not muv [:)]

@gm88- I don't think strome with abs and airbags will be 11 lakhs . You might get one with abs but airbags iam sure you won't .
Well if they won't be giving airbags within the 10.5L ex showroom bracket then I'm sure Storme is not going to sell in good numbers. Anything upwards to that will put it dangerously close to the XUV500 which is not good for the upcoming Safari. Though I'll be waiting for the prices to be released and then only will make a decision.

If I am going to avoid Airbags at that pricepoint then I would straightaway go for the Innova G variant. But it seems unlikely as I have put safety features as the top priority. Only Duster , Scorpio and Ertiga seem to be fitting in the budget with the basic safety features. Xylo, Evalia, Bolero, Sumo Grande are not even being considered.

Wow! Your feedback really gives me a ray of hope. Eagerly waiting to see it in person myself.

Yes even I would have had gone for the Ecosport if I was looking for a car for myself. But we are looking for a car that my Dad would be driving and I don't really want him to be driving something so funky. Safari storme or even an Innova would be better I guess for him.

Well thanks for the suggestion but I really don't like the van looks of the Evalia. I knew it was going to be launched soon but it never really clicked. Even though the pricing seems to be spot on but IMO it won't go down too well with people looking for a car for their personal use. They would rather go for Ertiga at that price bracket.

Well if they won't be giving airbags within the 10.5L ex showroom bracket then I'm sure Storme is not going to sell in good numbers. Anything upwards to that will put it dangerously close to the XUV500 which is not good for the upcoming Safari. Though I'll be waiting for the prices to be released and then only will make a decision.

If I am going to avoid Airbags at that pricepoint then I would straightaway go for the Innova G variant. But it seems unlikely as I have put safety features as the top priority. Only Duster , Scorpio and Ertiga seem to be fitting in the budget with the basic safety features. Xylo, Evalia, Bolero, Sumo Grande are not even being considered.
storme is with chandigarh dealers already white and brown why don't you go and check?

Thread Starter #58
A little late to update this thread as was busy with work and studies and had no time for surveying or test driving all these cars. 2 days back got a call from Dad that he wants to get the new car soon by 15th Jan. So finally today took out some time to test drive the cars.

Had driven XUV500 extensively over the last month as a cousin of mine bought it. Really love everything about this car, but it was always going to be out of budget. So planned to drop it from the list.

Ertiga and Innova dropped from the list as they don't give that SUV feel which is required.
Scorpio rejected by me solely for being an age old product now and the interiors are really not to my taste. Dad still might give it a look when he comes on the weekend.
Only cars left for the final list were Tata Safari Storme and Renault Duster.
Had a test drive of both today.

Renault Duster
Went to the local Renault showroom. There were like 15 Dusters standing outside to greet us. Each and every color was standing. Really liked it in white and silver. Woodland brown too looks good but i guess i would get bored of it in sometime if i end up buying that shade.

To begin with there is a lot of confusion over the variants of Duster. Was in a total shock when the SE started telling me about what feature is available in which trim. Finally got down to 2 variants RXL 85 And RXL 85(O)
Price difference is 1 lac between the variants and the RXL(O) gets Dual Airbags, ABS and alloy wheels as extra than RXL 85. Really didnt liked the sound how the doors closed. Very flimsy in my view. No rubber beading on the door was like a total shock. (Cost cutting at its best.) Interiors are ok. I liked the driving position in the Duster. Its more car like. Power windows switches are really awkwardly placed. Looks like an after market job.
Did a small 5km drive in RXL 85 and liked the drive. Doesn't have the out right punch but it just breezes smoothly. Was in total command from the word go. Didn't feel like much of a change from my Polo. Rear seats look a bit cramped for a car of this size. Engine noise was fairly audible inside the cabin. Sound quality from the ICE was below average. Surely an upgrade for speakers would be required.
RXL 85 - Ex showroom price -9.57Lacs
RXL(O) 85 - Ex showroom price - 10.57Lacs

These two are in contention at the moment. Waiting period as claimed by SE is around 3 months at present. But Dad knows the agency owner and I'm sure we can get it for ourself in a week max.

Then headed to Tata showroom.

Tata Storme looks substantially bigger than Duster from every angle. Its a got very solid feel to it. Literally had to climb to get inside the car on display. The front seats are super comfortable. But the mammoth size of the Storme got me a little worried if it would be a good idea to go for this beast.

Tata Safari Storme LX and EX fit the budget perfectly.
Had a short test drive of the Storme. Really liked the commanding view from the drivers seat. Not very cumbersome to drive in the city as i was thinking it would be.Pick up is noticably quicker than the Duster i had test driven earlier. Turning radius of this beast is really one thing that makes your jaw drop. Its literally astonishing how a car of this size makes U turns in congested streets in one go. Steering wheel is on a little lower position, not particularly to my liking,but still ok. Steering wheel didn't hinder with my thighs during the drive as was complained by some members.(I'm just 5'8). Loved the sofa seats in the rear. This really would be one car in which i would prefer trvelling in the rear seats as much as being in the driver's seat.[:)] Saw the interiors of LX and EX variants. Not particular to my liking,specially the bizarre silver portion in the middle of the dash is totally out of sync. Maybe would try getting faux wood for them in after market if we go for this car. Jump seats in the rear are good for kids only. Although in our case would hardly be used.
LX sounded more Value for money as it just doesnt have the Fog lamps, roof mounted AC and rear wiper. Paying a whole 90k for these 3 doesn't sound right.
Storme LX - Ex showroom price - 9.95Lacs
Storme EX - Ex showroom price - 10.8Lacs

Waiting period - 3-4 weeks.

A twist in the tale -

Tata Aria

Saw one standing inside the Tata showroom. Went to check it out and was completely blown away by the interiors. Really loved the dash design and the whole interior lay out. Don't particularly like it from the outside though. There is a 1.5Lacs discount on the base Pure variant which comes down to 10.5Lacs ex showroom price. But surely wouldn't be going for this vehicle.
I would have gone straight away if i was given these interiors in the Storme. I guess Tata messed up real bad when it came to the interiors of the Storme.

Verdict
Preferably would go for the Storme now after the test drives of both the vehicles. Waiting for Dad to come and experience the cars himself on Saturday.
My vote at present is for Storme LX either in Black or White. Should be finalizing over the weekend.[:D]

A little late to update this thread as was busy with work and studies and had no time for surveying or test driving all these cars. 2 days back got a call from Dad that he wants to get the new car soon by 15th Jan. So finally today took out some time to test drive the cars.

Had driven XUV500 extensively over the last month as a cousin of mine bought it. Really love everything about this car, but it was always going to be out of budget. So planned to drop it from the list.

Ertiga and Innova dropped from the list as they don't give that SUV feel which is required.
Scorpio rejected by me solely for being an age old product now and the interiors are really not to my taste. Dad still might give it a look when he comes on the weekend.
Only cars left for the final list were Tata Safari Storme and Renault Duster.
Had a test drive of both today.

Renault Duster
Went to the local Renault showroom. There were like 15 Dusters standing outside to greet us. Each and every color was standing. Really liked it in white and silver. Woodland brown too looks good but i guess i would get bored of it in sometime if i end up buying that shade.

To begin with there is a lot of confusion over the variants of Duster. Was in a total shock when the SE started telling me about what feature is available in which trim. Finally got down to 2 variants RXL 85 And RXL 85(O)
Price difference is 1 lac between the variants and the RXL(O) gets Dual Airbags, ABS and alloy wheels as extra than RXL 85. Really didnt liked the sound how the doors closed. Very flimsy in my view. No rubber beading on the door was like a total shock. (Cost cutting at its best.) Interiors are ok. I liked the driving position in the Duster. Its more car like. Power windows switches are really awkwardly placed. Looks like an after market job.
Did a small 5km drive in RXL 85 and liked the drive. Doesn't have the out right punch but it just breezes smoothly. Was in total command from the word go. Didn't feel like much of a change from my Polo. Rear seats look a bit cramped for a car of this size. Engine noise was fairly audible inside the cabin. Sound quality from the ICE was below average. Surely an upgrade for speakers would be required.
RXL 85 - Ex showroom price -9.57Lacs
RXL(O) 85 - Ex showroom price - 10.57Lacs

These two are in contention at the moment. Waiting period as claimed by SE is around 3 months at present. But Dad knows the agency owner and I'm sure we can get it for ourself in a week max.

Then headed to Tata showroom.

Tata Storme looks substantially bigger than Duster from every angle. Its a got very solid feel to it. Literally had to climb to get inside the car on display. The front seats are super comfortable. But the mammoth size of the Storme got me a little worried if it would be a good idea to go for this beast.

Tata Safari Storme LX and EX fit the budget perfectly.
Had a short test drive of the Storme. Really liked the commanding view from the drivers seat. Not very cumbersome to drive in the city as i was thinking it would be.Pick up is noticably quicker than the Duster i had test driven earlier. Turning radius of this beast is really one thing that makes your jaw drop. Its literally astonishing how a car of this size makes U turns in congested streets in one go. Steering wheel is on a little lower position, not particularly to my liking,but still ok. Steering wheel didn't hinder with my thighs during the drive as was complained by some members.(I'm just 5'8). Loved the sofa seats in the rear. This really would be one car in which i would prefer trvelling in the rear seats as much as being in the driver's seat.[:)] Saw the interiors of LX and EX variants. Not particular to my liking,specially the bizarre silver portion in the middle of the dash is totally out of sync. Maybe would try getting faux wood for them in after market if we go for this car. Jump seats in the rear are good for kids only. Although in our case would hardly be used.
LX sounded more Value for money as it just doesnt have the Fog lamps, roof mounted AC and rear wiper. Paying a whole 90k for these 3 doesn't sound right.
Storme LX - Ex showroom price - 9.95Lacs
Storme EX - Ex showroom price - 10.8Lacs

Waiting period - 3-4 weeks.

A twist in the tale -

Tata Aria

Saw one standing inside the Tata showroom. Went to check it out and was completely blown away by the interiors. Really loved the dash design and the whole interior lay out. Don't particularly like it from the outside though. There is a 1.5Lacs discount on the base Pure variant which comes down to 10.5Lacs ex showroom price. But surely wouldn't be going for this vehicle.
I would have gone straight away if i was given these interiors in the Storme. I guess Tata messed up real bad when it came to the interiors of the Storme.

Verdict
Preferably would go for the Storme now after the test drives of both the vehicles. Waiting for Dad to come and experience the cars himself on Saturday.
My vote at present is for Storme LX either in Black or White. Should be finalizing over the weekend.[:D]
Very good report GM88. Congrats for your decision for Storm LX which is really a VFM package. Please write your views on Storm thread[:)]

Top Bottom