Required MUV / SUV in 11 Lacs Budget

Thread Starter #16
Thanks Visran , Hornet and Singh890 for your suggestions. Yes the only two cars which come in the budget with the safety features are Ertiga and Scorpio. Scorpio being a proper SUV and with a bigger engine seems to be a better option but I personally don't like the cabin inside but I think Dad is fine with it as he seemed to prefer Scorpio over others.But its too cramped up inside IMO and the plastic quality is very poor. I have heard the newer models have better fit and finish. Will check it out.
Yes as I do have time with me will be looking forward for the launch of Safari Storme and hopefully some ownership reviews too.
In case of a pre-owned Yeti, it would be first of all difficult to find one and if I do also I don't think so I'l be able to convince my Dad for the same.

With all your advise and comparisons, In my opinion nothing beats Skoda Yeti for its looks, driving pleasure, built quality and lot more, though it is priced bit high but its worth buy.

After this, I look for two things Storm & Ecosport !!

These Scorpio and Innova are really boring and dated

I do not think Ertiga will be compared with the above, it is completely different vehicle all together
Yes the drive and fit and finish in the Yeti is uncomparable to the rest but the quetion being going for a pre owned one. Will it be reliable as there are many horror stories regarding A.S.S of Skoda doing rounds all over the internet. It would be better to go for a new one with all the warranties in place.

Yes would be waiting for the launch of Safari Storme.Hope it happens by this month end. Don't really know about the ecosport. I quite like the looks of it but IMO it will be too loud for my Dad's liking.

Ertiga is yes an all together different car. I mean its a car for a different purpose.

Dad likes the Scorpio for its ruggedness and the features available but I am very skeptical of getting it. It won't a give a new car feeling IMO.

Innova still is a newer model as the uplifted one was launched 7months back. But then it won't be having any safety features.

Duster would have been good if the middle variant had Airbags and ABS. That is not the case.
So in all a very confusing state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the drive and fit and finish in the Yeti is uncomparable to the rest but the quetion being going for a pre owned one. Will it be reliable as there are many horror stories regarding A.S.S of Skoda doing rounds all over the internet. It would be better to go for a new one with all the warranties in place.

Yes would be waiting for the launch of Safari Storme.Hope it happens by this month end. Don't really know about the ecosport. I quite like the looks of it but IMO it will be too loud for my Dad's liking.

Ertiga is yes an all together different car. I mean its a car for a different purpose.

Dad likes the Scorpio for its ruggedness and the features available but I am very skeptical of getting it. It won't a give a new car feeling IMO.

Innova still is a newer model as the uplifted one was launched 7months back. But then it won't be having any safety features.

Duster would have been good if the middle variant had Airbags and ABS. That is not the case.
So in all a very confusing state.
I will never suggest you to buy any pre owned skoda car . Moreover the skoda yeti has very less localization so the parts later on will be very expensive .

It is allways better to buy a new car in our budget rather then buying a second hand car in the same budget iam of this opinion .

Buddy just hold on till jan as market will throw more choices at you . And you will be able to pick the right car for the money you will spend .

Thread Starter #18
I will never suggest you to buy any pre owned skoda car . Moreover the skoda yeti has very less localization so the parts later on will be very expensive .

It is allways better to buy a new car in our budget rather then buying a second hand car in the same budget iam of this opinion .

Buddy just hold on till jan as market will throw more choices at you . And you will be able to pick the right car for the money you will spend .
Yes will be doing that only. Will be waiting for the new launches. Even I am of the opinion of getting a new car only. Plus we want a hassle free ownership as my Dad doesn't like taking the car to the service station time and again.

Thread Starter #20

Oh , No !!, then any new launch will not serve this as it needs to spend days at service center once in a while !![cry]
Yup. In india the first few car owners end up being the test bunny's. There feedbacks are used to improve on the niggles in the car. Specially in case of Indian manufacturers like Tata and Mahindra.

I just got to know from a friend that Renault has silently added another variant of the Duster which is Duster RXL 110 (Option pack). It is 50k more than RXL 110 and has ABS and dual front Airbags. So that would make it 10.49L ex showroom.
Can please anyone confirm this news?

Plus we want a hassle free ownership
With no disrespect to any other brands (and their respective owners), for hassle free ownership 2 names come to mind: Honda & Toyota!

Ofcourse none of these, fit your requirements (of SUV or MUV) and budget. Maybe the Innova, but it is a much bigger MUV compared to the Ertiga and costlier too.

I know a few who own Scorpio SUVs and are happy with it. But annual maintenence is something they are not too happy as there is only 1 M&M dealership and they charge a lot. Further Scorpio build quality (interior) is not as refined as the Innova many feel. Having said this, they do take their Scorpio SUVs for long drives and are very happy with the vehicle especially when they travel on countryside roads. The engine is good, but do expect small niggles (e.g. switch not working, tail lamp not working etc.) now and then. If these small niggles can be ignored, the Scorpio is very good.

Thread Starter #23
Yes what i heard is the right information, one of my friend had enquired about this particular model when he went for a TD.
Well then this variant seems to fit in good with all the requirements. Just hoping that Dad likes the car when he test drives it maybe by next weekend.

With no disrespect to any other brands (and their respective owners), for hassle free ownership 2 names come to mind: Honda & Toyota!

Ofcourse none of these, fit your requirements (of SUV or MUV) and budget. Maybe the Innova, but it is a much bigger MUV compared to the Ertiga and costlier too.

I know a few who own Scorpio SUVs and are happy with it. But annual maintenence is something they are not too happy as there is only 1 M&M dealership and they charge a lot. Further Scorpio build quality (interior) is not as refined as the Innova many feel. Having said this, they do take their Scorpio SUVs for long drives and are very happy with the vehicle especially when they travel on countryside roads. The engine is good, but do expect small niggles (e.g. switch not working, tail lamp not working etc.) now and then. If these small niggles can be ignored, the Scorpio is very good.
Yes Honda and Toyota seem to be giving the most hassle free ownerships. But from our own personal experiences we have never had any bad experiences with either of the 3 cars with us - Ford, Hyundai and VW. Reliability has been spot on.

Regarding the Scorpio , those are small issues if some switch stops working or the tail lamp not working. I am more concerned about if it breaks down on the road and leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Don't want those kinds of stuff to happen. One of my knowns 7 month old Tata Aria just wasn't ready to start after they had a halt at some small restaurant for a break on the highway. They left the car with the driver and came back by bus. These things are little annoying and don't want that to happen. I am sure such stuff would not happen with the likes of Innova or maybe even Ertiga too.
Although Scorpio has been around for quite sometime now and I haven't heard about any such incidents about the SUV. Seems to be fairly reliable in that aspect. But again the interior quality is downright cheap in the Scorpio and comparing to the likes of our existing cars like Fluidic Verna or Volkswagen Polo, it would be like a huge step backwards. I know comparing a hatch or a sedan to an SUV is a little bizarre but then its going to be the most expensive buy in our garage and it better justifies the price tag when you sit inside it.
Innova still fairs to have decent plastic quality inside and dash design is also not bad.
I am not a big fan of the Ertiga's dash too. Its a sea of beige in there which IMO doesn't go down too well specially the beige steering wheel.
I am yet to check out Duster's interior in person so can't really comment.
How I wish if the Yeti would be launched with a smaller 1.6 Tdi engine used in Rapid/Vento and comes with a price tag of 11lac rupees.

Well then this variant seems to fit in good with all the requirements. Just hoping that Dad likes the car when he test drives it maybe by next weekend.

Yes Honda and Toyota seem to be giving the most hassle free ownerships. But from our own personal experiences we have never had any bad experiences with either of the 3 cars with us - Ford, Hyundai and VW. Reliability has been spot on.

Regarding the Scorpio , those are small issues if some switch stops working or the tail lamp not working. I am more concerned about if it breaks down on the road and leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Don't want those kinds of stuff to happen. One of my knowns 7 month old Tata Aria just wasn't ready to start after they had a halt at some small restaurant for a break on the highway. They left the car with the driver and came back by bus. These things are little annoying and don't want that to happen. I am sure such stuff would not happen with the likes of Innova or maybe even Ertiga too.
Although Scorpio has been around for quite sometime now and I haven't heard about any such incidents about the SUV. Seems to be fairly reliable in that aspect. But again the interior quality is downright cheap in the Scorpio and comparing to the likes of our existing cars like Fluidic Verna or Volkswagen Polo, it would be like a huge step backwards. I know comparing a hatch or a sedan to an SUV is a little bizarre but then its going to be the most expensive buy in our garage and it better justifies the price tag when you sit inside it.
Innova still fairs to have decent plastic quality inside and dash design is also not bad.
I am not a big fan of the Ertiga's dash too. Its a sea of beige in there which IMO doesn't go down too well specially the beige steering wheel.
How I wish if the Yeti would be launched with a smaller 1.6 Tdi engine used in Rapid/Vento and comes with a price tag of 11lac rupees.
buddy you are comparing two different cars of different class. in short you get what you pay.

for me a scorpio VLX is overpriced more so compared to the XUV W6.
a scorpio SLE makes a case for VFM quotient. that is if you can do away with the steering mounted controls,CC and airbags.

another subjective question, are you sure you want an SUV to drive?

seems that you love sedans more than an SUV.

if that's the case better go for a sedan. the sunny,scalia might suit you too.

GM88

I checked here about Yeti in Hyderabad . The new Yeti Active 4x2 model comes for Rs.15.3 L on road after 2L discount[:)], So why don't you your budget from 12 to 15 L and buy it[:D]

GM88

I checked here about Yeti in Hyderabad . The new Yeti Active 4x2 model comes for Rs.15.3 L on road after 2L discount[:)], So why don't you your budget from 12 to 15 L and buy it
If this suggestion of yours is just for fun , then great no worries [:)] but if you are seriously suggesting this idea then
what additional benefit it will give paying extra 3 lakhs ? Which the xuv , Scorpio and the upcoming strome will do flawlessly in lesser price , bigger space and with much more capability .
In that remaining 3 lacs he can buy a nano or save it in the bank and earn better interest .

If one dosent need a big suv , a ecosport , duster will do the job without breaking a sweat in much lesser price then the yeti .

Please Gurralla the yeti has very less localization and if something goes wrong the spares will be very expensive so try and also present this fact when you are suggesting the yeti to anyone .

If this suggestion of yours is just for fun , then great no worries but if you are seriously suggesting this idea then
what additional benefit it will give paying extra 3 lakhs ? Which the xuv , Scorpio and the upcoming strome will do flawlessly in lesser price , bigger space and with much more capability .
In that remaining 3 lacs he can buy a nano or save it in the bank and earn better interest .

If one dosent need a big suv , a ecosport , duster will do the job without breaking a sweat in much lesser price then the yeti .

Please Gurralla the yeti has very less localization and if something goes wrong the spares will be very expensive so try and also present this fact when you are suggesting the yeti to anyone .
Ok, Raja Why I suggest Yeti ?? These are my thoughts you may call them subjective but unbaised !!

1. Why Yeti with 3 lakhs more when you can buy XUV,Scorpio,Duster,Ecosport,Storme. I just go with your premium brand & premium quality, premium feel[:)]. There are + sides in it which this premium customers will like them. My main criteria in suggesting this keeping in mind about his father is going to use it and he wanted a bit rich feel apart from the conventional SUV's which is something like a Peppy Executive Look

2. Now comes the point less localisation and expensive parts fine agreed with this !! but when if something goes wrong, so this is based on some reliability issue of the brand and model, so I felt that with other SUV's the story is not something goes wrong at some times, but something goes wrong once in two days. So this talks about some peace of mind with the reliability where I felt he will have less headache visiting the service center rarely

So, in this case I kept the price factor a side and looked into some rich look, a peppy SUV, good visibility, good built quality, not too big to handle which may be my opinions only !!

Hope I have justified somewhat !![cry]

But really I hate a teacher like you in my school !! I would have ran away instead of giving tough answers to tough questions always[lol] hey I am just joking man !!

@ gurrla74

Darling subjective views are allways biased that's why they are called subjective , objective views are something which you keep aside what you think good/ bad and present the fact the way it is . For example

Objective - its 23 degrees , and cloudy .( fact based no bias here )

Subjective - wow love this romantic climate or i just hate this climate it's very depressing .( bias opinions expressed on a objective fact that today's climate is 23 degrees and it's cloudy )

Are you serious in saying that Scorpio , xuv are going to the service center every 2 days ? Can I show you examples of clutch failures and yeti getting towed on a flat bed truck ? And then staying in the a.s.s for 20 days ? But yes I agree with you the chances of things going wrong are less in a yeti . But skoda is a double edge sword they will give you good quality and all and make you smile and when things go wrong can make you cry like a newborn baby not getting food .

The OP has clearly mentioned that buying a xuv w6 will also be like stretching his budget which he will be trying hard to convince his dad ,when he has clearly mentioned this our duty is to try and suggest the best option for him in his budget . You are here actually suggesting him to spend 3 lakhs more .

His dad actually likes the Scorpio have you read that ? It's the OP who feels its dated and the plastic quality not so great not his dad .( so the suggestion to try duster , and wait for ecosport or strome and then decide )

About rich looks it's again subjective thing I have seen anand mahindra in Scorpio , Ratan tata and president of India in safari .

About my premiuim brand and feel opinion ofcourse I belive in it but i dont suggest anybody to buy a i20 when his budget is for wagon r and i10 .
I will suggest yeti only when some 1 has a requirement of a suv in the range of captiva or thinking for a sedan like Laura or cruze .

Iam not trying to teach you anything , we are just discussing here in healthy manner please don't get me wrong . And you can too pin point me and my views that's the beauty of the forum . ( if I don't use smileys very often dosent mean iam serious [:D])

Last edited:
Darling subjective views are allways biased that's why they are called subjective , objective views are something which you keep aside what you think good/ bad and present the fact the way it is . For example

Objective - its 23 degrees , and cloudy .( fact based no bias here )

Subjective - wow love this romantic climate or i just hate this climate it's very depressing .( bias opinions expressed on a objective fact that today's climate is 23 degrees and it's cloudy )

Are you serious in saying that Scorpio , xuv are going to the service center every 2 days ? Can I show you examples of clutch failures and yeti getting towed on a flat bed truck ? And then staying in the a.s.s for 20 days ? But yes I agree with you the chances of things going wrong are less in a yeti . But skoda is a double edge sword they will give you good quality and all and make you smile and when things go wrong can make you cry like a newborn baby not getting food .

The OP has clearly mentioned that buying a xuv w6 will also be like stretching his budget which he will be trying hard to convince his dad ,when he has clearly mentioned this our duty is to try and suggest the best option for him in his budget . You are here actually suggesting him to spend 3 lakhs more .

His dad actually likes the Scorpio have you read that ? It's the OP who feels its dated and the plastic quality not so great not his dad .( so the suggestion to try duster , and wait for ecosport or strome and then decide )

Iam not trying to teach you anything , we are just discussing here in healthy manner please don't get me wrong . And you can too pin point me and my views that's the beauty of the forum .

Thread Starter #30
Thanks for the suggestion guys. Really appreciate them. Everyone is valid to have their own opinion and choices.

buddy you are comparing two different cars of different class. in short you get what you pay.

for me a scorpio VLX is overpriced more so compared to the XUV W6.
a scorpio SLE makes a case for VFM quotient. that is if you can do away with the steering mounted controls,CC and airbags.

another subjective question, are you sure you want an SUV to drive?

seems that you love sedans more than an SUV.

if that's the case better go for a sedan. the sunny,scalia might suit you too.
Yes I also think the same way. XUV500 W6 is absolutely value for money in front of Scorpio VLX. Just a price difference of 1.1 lac in ex showroom price but the product difference is huge. That's why I'm too skeptical to get the Scorpio. SLE variant priced well but again its without safety features.
And yes we have been more of sedan/hatch loving people but now the requirement happens to be for a car that has good ground clearance which maybe able to do some soft offroading too. Not hardcore offroading so don't require the 4x4 variant. So sedan and hatch are out of question.

GM88

I checked here about Yeti in Hyderabad . The new Yeti Active 4x2 model comes for Rs.15.3 L on road after 2L discount[:)], So why don't you your budget from 12 to 15 L and buy it[:D]
2L discount. Wow!! If its the case then I have to go check it out. It should be costing much less than the 15L price-tag in Hyd as here the taxes are comparatively less. Should be costing around 13-13.5L after 2L discount. Although I'm in love with this car as it has a very premium feel to it inside out, but its clearly beyond budget at present.

If this suggestion of yours is just for fun , then great no worries [:)] but if you are seriously suggesting this idea then

Yeti does come with the horror A.S.S of Skoda but what about the skoda shield plan. I've heard it comes with 4(2+2) years warranty now. But even then its clearly out of budget at present.

Duster, Scorpio and Innova seem to be the only viable options at present. Waiting eagerly for the Storme to arrive. Massive discounts are on the current safari. Close to 1lac off depending on which variant you chose. But not really looking for any deals on the present model. I've heard the Storme will be priced very aggressively from Day 1 as Tata don't want to make the same mistake again which they did with the Aria.

Else if nothing really clicks in this budget I think will try to postpone the purchase a little further and extend the budget and buy XUV500 or Yeti only. At present just waiting for my Dad to come next weekend so that I could change his mind which I guess is set on the Scorpio!! Can't help it but I just don't like the Scorpio. I would prefer the Duster or Innova over it anyday. But then I won't be the one really driving it. He will be. Let's see.

Top Bottom