Require Help and Advice to Choose the Best Hatchback

Thread Starter #16
Stick with PUNTO ,no other hatchback will delight and sizzle you like punto ,to speak in terms of analogy can say that it's AISHWARYA RAI of the car world:lol!:
get yourself a punto and shoot at all corners,bang bang...............[gun]
:agree:though personally I don't like Aishwarya but I could understand what you mean and definitely all targets are set and bang bang is about to start.

Well Ashinhere, welcome on board. I am sure you would get the desired advise on TAI and would take a wise decision.

Now back your questions / requirements:

1200 - 1500kms (40- 50 kms per day in a month). Well according to me you do not qualify for the Diesel car if you are buying it on EMIs. (Please do not take me wrong).

Definitely no hard feelings buddy !! thats the beauty of a forum, what you miss fellow buddies will remind you and will bring you back on track [clap]

Please refer to following thread The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator.

Thanks for such a killer sheet, great work man!! This will definitely help many of my friends and helped me a lot too to understand how much time I will take to reach my break even point and I think am fine with it.

I know and understand that I could do with a petrol hatch but I think I have already had my share of petrol thing as I own Esteem and will be keeping that too. IMHO, it does not make sense in today's world with petrol prices, reaching the top of charts faster than gold, to maintain two petrol cars.

Feature wise Punto is way ahead than Figo. How much highway travel you do in a month? Are you considering express ways under normal highway runs or separately?

Highway travel will depend as I have my in-laws staying some 150 (one side) kms. from my place so one trip will mean 300 kms and twice a month will mean 600 kms other than regular 900-1000 kms a month in city. Also my hometown is around 500 kms (again one side) from Noida and I plan to go there by my car atleast once in 2-3 months.

Figo’s city drivability is far better than Punto and as you yourself experienced in your friend’s Figo or while test driving. So consider that as a prime reason as ABS and airbags are present in both the top end models of these two cars.

Yes true, but other features like fire prevention system, steering controls, heavy body, more responsive steering and looks of Punto are really giving me hard times to come to a conclusion. Though I have already booked Punto (that I did so that I could get delivery during navratras, Figo dealer has told me that they have ample stock and could deliver the car in just 3-5 days time after booking) I am still not too sure and keep on finding as much as I could to support my decision and to go with 100% peace of mind.

I am sure you would take a wise decision. But if you ask me to chose from both of these. I would chose Figo over Punto because of drivability in cities. Mind you I am not saying that Punto’s city drivability is bad. No it is not the case; it is just that Figo’s is better.

Thanks a ton buddy for the valuable piece of advice !!

All the best.
Please find my answers in BOLD above.

If you can afford the extra amount that the Punto costs over the Figo, go for it. A.S.S. is not as bad as made out to be. Otherwise the Figo is also a good option but the looks are really dated.
Yes P3T3R the extra amount is just 55K with loads of features difference. So I am fine with that. The only confusion is I want initial ownership to be hassle and pain free. Thanks for you suggestion !!

Please refer to this Exhaustive PDI Guide and take a print along while inspecting the car:
350Z
Thanks a ton 350Z !! I have already taken print out of the guide on the very first day of joining this forum. Was just making sure if could get somebody along with me to be double sure and not miss out on anything, as I believe whether it is your first car or any number car it will always be a emotional thing and with emotions running their set of juices in your mind you can always miss or forget something.

Last edited:
I believe whether it is your first car or any number car it will always be a emotional thing and with emotions running their set of juices in your mind you can always miss or forget something.
Absolutely right. But if I could suggest fix up an appointment in morning hours and inform them that you are going to perform complete PDI. In that case, they will be ready mentally and would not disturb you during the process. Take along a family member or friend who would work / act as a "Third Umpire" [lol]

Well, to your points in bold on my post. Well if you are so confident and ready from all angles and have decent enough reasons for buying a Punto then. Do not confuse yourself further and stick to it OR ask advice whether you should upgrade to 90HP or not, period.

All the best and be ready with your buying experience and ownership reviews. We need best shot from you [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #18
I personally feel, as you have already booked a car that means you have already made your decision.And that too after lot of research and TD's. Just go for it and grab it, [thumbsup] Discussing this further will take you to dilemma. You will remember certain negative comments and when your car gets delivered you will search for those negative things unnecessarily and you will sacrifice on the joy of bringing new car home and cuddle with her! Just listen to your heart and Congratulations in advance. Wish you happy miles![drive]
Booked Punto just because the dealer asked me to do that if I want to get the delivery during Navratra (which actually I want) where as Figo dealer told me even if I will come by 1st Navratra he will be able to deliver the car to me in 4-5 days. So I have only a week left now to seal my decision but yes saying that, it is true that I have inclination towards Punto more than Figo but am not rigid and I can always pull myself on the right track. So am just looking for that right track [glasses] Thanks for wishes !!

Did you check Punto 90HP?
You can check that too...
How about new vista face lift?
Go for Punto if you are ok with first and second gear, but it will surely help you in heavy traffic times...
Bharathi, 1st and 2nd gears are completely ok for me. Actually am looking forward to your experience related to the ownership cost & experience (have also posted on your thread) to help me to be sure about my decision.

Best that you did not take a swift decision.Given your needs Punto feels best to suit your needs and requirements.The diesel mill doing work in the Punto is absolutely the best seller and the features in the model mentioned has good value for paying.
Go through the ownership reviews and you will get to know the car right before driving it!
Thanks Vishwas !! it is a routine now (Go through the ownership reviews) daily doing that religiously :stupid:

Punto is best in Diesel.
Thanks for the suggestion!! Would really appreciate if you could mark your suggestion with some reasoning (may be experience of your's or some one you know) so that I could really understand your point.

Thread Starter #19
Did you check Punto 90HP?
You can check that too...
How about new vista face lift?
Missed answering these two questions. About Vista, as already mentioned it is very tough to make ladies in my house understand the beauty of the car. If they would have even agreed to listen I would have definitely gone for this car.

I did checked 90 HP but to be honest did not find much difference in 1st two gears and IMO, rest of the gears does not make any difference as they are as good in 76 HP as in 90 HP. Also, going for it would have meant more price difference between Figo and Punto, then definitely Figo would have started to make more sense.

Absolutely right. But if I could suggest fix up an appointment in morning hours and inform them that you are going to perform complete PDI. In that case, they will be ready mentally and would not disturb you during the process. Take along a family member or friend who would work / act as a "Third Umpire"

Well, to your points in bold on my post. Well if you are so confident and ready from all angles and have decent enough reasons for buying a Punto then. Do not confuse yourself further and stick to it OR ask advice whether you should upgrade to 90HP or not, period.

All the best and be ready with your buying experience and ownership reviews. We need best shot from you
Thanks Shailinder, am doing exactly the same. Have asked 2 of my friends to come with me. Also, from the date of booking I have made this point clear to the dealer that I will conduct thorough PDI, no matter how much time it will take.

Definitely I will be giving detailed (as far as possible) buying as well as ownership experience with loads of pics.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Now the update regarding the PDI - I was suppose to go for the PDI today (22/09) but postponed that to tomorrow (23/09). As one more friend will accompany us tomorrow.

The SE was very worried about the PDI (could make out from his tone on the phone). Yesterday only he called me and said that he will be checking the car himself and also will get it washed before I will come for the PDI [clap]

Just wait for the PDI report, will post detailed one for reviews and suggestions from all you fellow TAI'ans. I have only paid 20K as booking amount and will only pay him rest of the amount on 28/9, so have ample time to post & discuss about any not so convincing finding in tomorrow's PDI.

Thread Starter #20
PDI UPDATE:

Went for the PDI saw the beauty in BNW, one thing is sure now am going for Punto [:D] no confusions and no more thinking.

Could not complete PDI as the fuse were not connected also the car was not cleaned properly. So asked them to do their PDI and get everything working and will go again tomorrow for PDI.

Just one doubt the ODO showed 101 km. [sad] (H was there before 101 km)when I confirmed from the SE the reason for 101 kms. got answer that the warehouse is around 15-20 km away and the car have had 2 rounds from there (so making it around 70 km) and rest is because when they get delivery from manufacturer they test drive it for around 5-10 km to check. I know this is crap, but when I checked the car closely from inside did not find any mark that it was used as TD vehicle. Even if they have used it for TD that will be definitely not more than 20 km. as I myself went to the warehouse and yes it is around 18 kms from the showroom.

Now should I accept the car or not? or should I demand something else, as I will be going for PDI again tomorrow.

IMPORTANT - Mods please change the name of the thread to Require Help and Advice to Choose the Best Hatchback --- PDI query

Thread Starter #22
If H was present means it has not run more than 101KM.
Though its more, but if other PDI things satisfy you, no harm in taking.
Thanks RSM, even am thinking on the same lines. Though 100 + Kms are not fine from any angle but still if all other things seem fine I think that could be considered.

Will complete the detail PDI tomorrow and then will decide.

I would also suggest the same. First do complete the whole of PDI, feel the car. 101 Km on Odo is a little extra but not too much to worry!
Do check for underbody rusting as well. As sometimes if the car is standing in a moist area, there is chance for rust.
Any way wishing you good luck and do post the pics [:)]

Who said figo got diesel engine with good performance.It take around 16.xx to reach 100 from standstill.But very less turbo lag helps in the diveabilty in the cty I guess.

So you decided on punto.You said you liked it after TDing it,its upto you what to buy.

Thread Starter #25
Hey guys, just an update, finally went for Punto (as till now you all already know that am going for it [:D]) PDI was successful and there were only few niggles that I got fixed.

So finally the white italian beauty was delivered to me on Thursday (29/09). Have done 100+ miles on it. Will create a separate thread with my ownership experience and pics.

Thanks to you all for maiking this possible !!!

Hey guys, just an update, finally went for Punto (as till now you all already know that am going for it [:D]) PDI was successful and there were only few niggles that I got fixed.

So finally the white italian beauty was delivered to me on Thursday (29/09). Have done 100+ miles on it. Will create a separate thread with my ownership experience and pics.

Thanks to you all for maiking this possible !!!
Many Congratulations on the best buy![clap]

Hi as I understand your requirement you need to purchase Hundai i20. According to your budget, smooth driving and bigger Hatchback also.

Hi all, I am planning to buy a hatchback from a long time. I started with planning and TD’s first in July2010. In September’2010 my job pulled me to shift the location and I shifted to Pune with my family so the plan got suppressed.

In June 2011 I shifted back to Noida again and the suppressed ‘keede’ again surfaced after I sat in my friend’s Figo.

A little background:
I own Maruti Esteem from last 6 years (also got CNG kit installed on it). My experience is very good in terms of mileage, A$$ (other than few off times due to high cost of parts), drivability, big car feeling, comfort etc. etc. In short my experience has been very satisfying.

Now as my family has got one addition (my daughter) I felt need of safety features as well in the car I would like to drive (this is one aspect missing in Esteem).

Requirements:
As a first step to the evaluation process, I put together my requirements:

1. Had to be diesel since I already have a petrol Esteem which I will be keeping and petrol prices are something that make me feel like I should buy a cycle for around Rs. 3500 instead of getting a tank full @ Rs. 70/- which is recent petrol price in Delhi NCR (45 liters * 70/- = 3150). My average monthly running will also be around 1200-1500 km. (so by all means I qualify for dreaming about diesel car )
2. Good handling
3. Good ride
4. Safety features a must.
5. Budget – not a constraint, anything upto 7 lacs OTR is fine.
6. Driver seat must be comfortable - since most of those highway miles I would be on my own
7. Blue tooth enabled stereo is also a must as will have few long solo drives.

Cars considered:
a) Swift 2011 model: Booked then cancelled after the price of ZDI was announced (> 7.2 lacs OTR Noida). As safety features are must did not even think about considering VDI. Dropped from list there and then.

b) Micra – TD done but did not consider it any further. Reasons – No ABS even on the top diesel model, my reservations related to A$$ and looks.

c) Ritz: Dropped just after the TD. Reason – Never liked the looks (my opinion) but still went for the TD being optimistic, @ 5.5 + lacs OTR not even the music system was provided.

d) Vista – Liked it a lot, almost finalized it twice. Only reservation was family’s view. Nobody actually liked it from mom, sis, wife and even my daughter, though she is just 2 years old, after sitting in the car when asked how it is? She said not Yummy (she knows only two terms to express her liking and dislike – Yummy and not Yummy [:)]). Eventually I gave up (my bad luck as I have got only females to approve the final decision) and the car was dropped from list.

e) Figo – Now actually all of this started with this car after I shifted back from Pune. I sat in one of my friend’s car for around 100 km. ride and just loved the drive, handling, space and feel of the car. I drove the car myself for around 50-60 km. and just loved the steadiness (which was lacking in Esteem), pick up and ride (no turbo lag at all). His Figo was Titanium so all preferred safety features were also present in this model (ABS, Airbags). Few other features that I liked are electric boot opener, Bluetooth connectivity and boot space. The OTR price was also attractive (till I re-tested Punto) at around 6.25 lacs OTR Noida.

Things which I think should have been present: Alloy wheels, steering mounted controls, 60:40 split of rear seats, fire prevention system, better GC, USB port (though could have got that installed but for additional cost) etc.

f) Fiat Grande Punto – TDed this care even before shifting to Pune and it was like what a beauty and what a marvelous experience of riding it!!! Forget first 2 gears, rest there was no looking back or time to think about anything other than enjoying the ride and admiring it.

This time also considered it and the impression only became long lasting and addictive. The only hitch is few niggles that I have read in ownership reviews and am not too sure about the A$$ in my area (Noida, Ghaziabad).

Comparison:
Now my decision is only considering Figo and Punto (both top models).

Punto +ives: At 6.8 lacs OTR am getting Climate Control, 15" alloys, 195 section tires, audio control on the steering, rear power windows, split folding rear seats, USB port, Blue & Me and few more additional features. I think paying 55K (Figo is costing me 6.25 lacs OTR) more for these features, solid build and stunning looks is actually making this car sound cheaper than Figo.

Punto –ives: Few scary ownership reports and no conclusive feedback about A$$ in my area, Engine NVH (found Figo +1 in this department) but after speed of 100 the handling, feeling of safety is exceptional and even NVH feels better than Figo (may be the Figo which I drove on highway, that of my friend, was not that well maintained).

Figo +ives: Engine refinement (NVH), 0 turbo lag, seats (found rear seating of Figo more comfortable), boot space, fuel economy (my friend’s Figo gave around 23 km/l), No horror stories on Ford A$$.

Figo – ives: Less features (as already mentioned above), No discounts.

So first impression is Punto is winner for me as the cost difference is not much and feature difference is huge. Also my highway drive will be almost equal to my city drives so sluggish starting behavior of Punto is ot a concern for me rather Punto’s highway etiquettes are much better than any other car I have TDed. But still need help of all you experienced and knowledgeable people to make sure and finalize one car out of these two.

I have already booked Punto but could get it cancelled if am not satisfied and 100% sure about it.

I will be going for white color and when I see a white Figo ( IMO, white color on Figo looks royal and exceptionally good) my heart skips a beat and mind start see-sawing between Punto (BNW also looks good, no doubt)and Figo. Any advice, experience sharing and help towards efficient decision making will be highly appreciated.

:offtopic: Also, if any fellow TAI’an from Delhi NCR could spare sometime on Thursday (22/09) to come along with me to do PDI of Punto at Oberoi Tata showroom, Noida that will be highly appreciated. Please PM me and I will contact you.

Drive safe and value life.

Hi as I understand your requirement you need to purchase Hundai i20. According to your budget, smooth driving and bigger Hatchback also.

Top Bottom