Replacing the Tyres of Maruti Alto

Thread Starter #1
I have a 2004 Alto and my tyres are stock MRF ZVTS 145/80 R12 74S mounted on stock 4J rims.

The tyres are 6 years old and has shown cracks all around. The material has hardened and makes a lot of noise. Even chips of rubber come off in bad roads.
The good thing is that the tread is as good as new even after half-lakh kilometers and no braking or puncture issue at all.

I have decided to change both the rims and the tyres. Recent Alto (not the K10) comes with same size tubeless (mine is tubed). Now I am not keen on upsizing as my car does not have a PS (LX version) and think that wider tyres will increase steering effort. Also upgrading to Alloys is out of budget.

So, I was wondering if it is possible to buy stock rims from MASC and install a same sized tubeless tyre ? Will it be a good option?
Out of the tyres I have googled out Bridgestone turanza ER60, JK Ultima NXT, Apollo amazer 3G, Goodyear Ducaro Hi-miler. Any review or any suggestions on my plan ?
Please help

I think it is certainlly possible to buy OE rims and install same size tyre.
My suggestion is to upgrade tyre size to 155, with Michelin XM1+.

I think it is certainlly possible to buy OE rims and install same size tyre.
My suggestion is to upgrade tyre size to 155, with Michelin XM1+.
+1 to that. Michelin is one of the best budget tires. How much do oe rims cost? If they are from masc i think they will be costlier if so then it would be better to go for cheap alloys(aura).

I would suggest you to go for cheaper rims,I remember seeing 12" NEO alloy wheels at Rs 11 k for a set of five rims.
If you are not alright with that price,then go for some used rims and paint it ni your car's contrast color,and then buy 155/70/R 12 or 155/80/R 12 tyres.

Thread Starter #5
Will upsizing increase steering efforts ? As my car is not having power steering.

As far I have knowledge stock rims of Alto (12X4) are Rs600/piece. So that is a lot cheaper than any Alloys make.

Michelins are Silica based tyres or Carbon ? Will they have a long life ? Life is important as well.

How much do you think a 145/80 or 155/65(13'') Michelin tyre will cost ?

Yes upsizing will increase the steering effort which is why even i have not upgraded my shoes.
Rims are cheaper than i expected, so the alloy option is off for you.

As far I have knowledge stock rims of Alto (12X4) are Rs600/piece. So that is a lot cheaper than any Alloys make.
Try sourcing seconds of the 0/E steel wheels,13 inchers from any alloy or tyre shop,I was quoted 1500/- for four of my old steel wheels including the factory tyres by the tyre shop guy when I upgraded to alloys and fatter rubber. But sice the tyres were almost 80 percent new. I decided to keep it and use them alternately.
But many people give the old steel wheels and tyres to the tyre shop for a small discount on the new set and these sets can be bought from the shop. Just see if they are available at such shops when you are going to get the new tyres or look around a seconds shop. Just ensure that the wheels are not bent or damaged. A little rust is ok if there is,you can always get it painted...maybe apply a new colour.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Thanks, it seems going for 145 stock is the best choice. Will search tyre and alloys shops for OE still rims in 12'' or directly buy it from MASC.

How much should Michelins XM1+ cost ?
Any other suggestions as per the tyre brand ?

if you really wanna upsize the tyre without going in for alloys, just get a set of wagon-r rims and put 13 inchers on them. you will have to do some slight mods so that the tyre won't scrape the underbody.

Thread Starter #12
There is hardly any 155/70 R12 available with reputed brands. The only choices are Michelin Bridgestone or JK. 145/80 is available for all three. 155/65 available only with bridgestone but it is the old tubed type S322.

How is Bridgestone turanza ER60?

Thread Starter #14
Ok here are the pics of my tyres as of now. Minor cracks all over. Can it be used ? Or is it necessary to change ASAP?

Your tyre is perfect for city use.

high speed cruising can be dangerous , though i have done some 100 in same condition tyre in our omni which we had. and i am still alive..

But do not take chances.

Top Bottom