Replacing My Wagon-R With Luxurious Petrol Hatchback

@Rightnow:
Thanks a lot for your valuable input.An owner's input is always more honest than the input of we 'recommenders'[:D]
2Teja ji,have a look at the above post,its the same thing which I mentioned as 'slight' clatter and its the same reason for which i asked you if you have driven a petrol or diesel Polo.
But yes,the 1.6 feels more silent than the 1.2 and no doubt,where the engines like of Polo 1.2 or i-20 screams and feel strained when pushed hard,its the engine of Jazz and Polo 1.6 which never feel strained when pushed hard and give loads of performance.

@Rightnow:
Thanks a lot for your valuable input.An owner's input is always more honest than the input of we 'recommenders'[:D]
2Teja ji,have a look at the above post,its the same thing which I mentioned as 'slight' clatter and its the same reason for which i asked you if you have driven a petrol or diesel Polo.
But yes,the 1.6 feels more silent than the 1.2 and no doubt,where the engines like of Polo 1.2 or i-20 screams and feel strained when pushed hard,its the engine of Jazz and Polo 1.6 which never feel strained when pushed hard and give loads of performance.
I repeat that again, it was Polo 1.2 Petrol and I haven't driven and been driven around in a Polo 1.6 Petrol and hence no comments on that.

The vehicle I tested wasn't driven much, IIRC, around 5000 Kms. The clatter on that wasn't slight and hence my plight (ha poetry [;)]).

It was after test driving the Polo 1.2 Petrol that I decided to get the Swift Petrol, which I found has nicer and rich, black interiors, silent and a peppy engine, nice seats and well cushioned with contours at the right spots; Shoulders, thighs, and love handles.

The Polo didn't please me at all in any aspect, maybe the brand, which just has a novelty factor in India.

Hyundai i20 is a NAAICE (read nice) one though, has all the bells and whistles, peppy engine, an ultra light steering which is a boon in City traffic everyday, beautiful interiors and ultra comfy seats, and ultra roomy which is challenged only by the Vista and Liva.

Sam, I'd again suggest to go for Fiesta. If not a saloon, try out the i20 and the Swift, and Polo (I dont' want to be bashed up by folks here [;)]).

Already more of our members given the details of most of the cars, I have two things in mind

1. If it has to be strictly within the budget and it should be a hatch then check the Beat petrol high end. I get a good feed back on this from my neighbor Chevy workshop manager that it gives 17kmpl in city with AC and maintenance is assured by Chevy till 3years. When I have driven this car I was really impressed on one thing about his car is that I have to pedal the acceleration to check whether the car is on or off !! such a silent car.

2. If budget can be expanded a bit and no problem in going for a sedan, then think of Honda City ! absolutely no problems and proved car with the kind of luxury internal and externally

The vehicle I tested wasn't driven much, IIRC, around 5000 Kms. The clatter on that wasn't slight and hence my plight (ha poetry [;)]).
I liked the poetry!!

It was after test driving the Polo 1.2 Petrol that I decided to get the Swift Petrol, which I found has nicer and rich, black interiors, silent and a peppy engine, nice seats and well cushioned with contours at the right spots; Shoulders, thighs, and love handles.
No doubt,Swift easily eclipses Polo 1.2 in nearly every field except build and dynamics.

Hyundai i20 is a NAAICE (read nice) one though, has all the bells and whistles, peppy engine, an ultra light steering which is a boon in City traffic everyday, beautiful interiors and ultra comfy seats, and ultra roomy which is challenged only by the Vista and Liva.
Eh,I rejected i-10 after its very first drive.The 1.2 Kappa engine is just not the engine I'd have liked.Instead the 1.2 i-vtec is the engine of choice for any enthusiast.

Sam, I'd again suggest to go for Fiesta. If not a saloon, try out the i20 and the Swift, and Polo (I dont' want to be bashed up by folks here [;)]).
My dear when hatches meet power,they make the best combination of the fun to drive scale.A Fiesta 1.6 stands nowhere in front of Polo 1.6.Only advantage it has is of a boot,none else.And Polo is also having a big boot then.

Already more of our members given the details of most of the cars, I have two things in mind

1. If it has to be strictly within the budget and it should be a hatch then check the Beat petrol high end. I get a good feed back on this from my neighbor Chevy workshop manager that it gives 17kmpl in city with AC and maintenance is assured by Chevy till 3years. When I have driven this car I was really impressed on one thing about his car is that I have to pedal the acceleration to check whether the car is on or off !! such a silent car.

2. If budget can be expanded a bit and no problem in going for a sedan, then think of Honda City ! absolutely no problems and proved car with the kind of luxury internal and externally
Ya,Honda City CE can be a fantastic buy if the buyer is ready to stretch the budget upto 8-8.5 lacs.

Thread Starter #21
why donot you check Verito G4?

I found really good except the interior. it is 6.2 L afyter discount.
I dont have any idea about Vertigo G4 ... not seen till now may be not common in Mumbai .

Can anyone help me with actual mileage in City for Honda Jazz Vs I-20 .

The Jazz has a mileage of 17kmpl on the highway and 13kmpl in the city. i20 is almost similar. 17kmpl on the highway and 12kmpl in the city.

The Jazz has the superb interiors, acres of space, excellent performance and the Honda branding. It has two big negatives and that is terrible pricing and below average dealership network.

The Polo also has superb interiors and is suitable for 4. The performance is only average. The Volkswagen branding adds to its image. The pricing is better than the Jazz. The negative is poor dealership network.

The i20 defeats all others in every aspect - interiors, safety, equipment, handling, ride, pricing and the dealership. No major negatives.

I would suggest you go in for the i20.

I don't understand why people are saying Jazz is expensive? My Jazz select bought last December costed me 6.20lacs only!!! rather i 20s the one that will drain your pockets. Im currently getting around 12-13 in city with ac in Jazz. Iv got no complaints apart from low end torque especially with ac on & full load...

I don't understand why people are saying Jazz is expensive? My Jazz select bought last December costed me 6.20lacs only!!! rather i 20s the one that will drain your pockets. Im currently getting around 12-13 in city with ac in Jazz. Iv got no complaints apart from low end torque especially with ac on & full load...
I got what you mean. You love Jazz so much that your username is itself Jazzy. The first versions of Jazz were overpriced. At first, the base model was priced at 7L +, which was insane. Now, Honda has slashed its prices dramatically.

I got what you mean. You love Jazz so much that your username is itself Jazzy. The first versions of Jazz were overpriced. At first, the base model was priced at 7L +, which was insane. Now, Honda has slashed its prices dramatically.
And now they have increased it by Rs 10000 !! I dont know what they are thinking.

Definitely the 1.6 mpi is not as silent as the 1.2 i-vtec.But still is far more acceptable than the 1.2
100% true.
Best comparo for Polo 1.6 engine noise is is Fiesta 1.6 (but after driving Linea MJD, Fiesta 1.6 seems super silent [;)])
My recommendation is anything out of Jazz or Polo 1.6.

In jaaz and polo my bet is on jaaz .
1) jaaz is a highly practical car in its segment *now* priced sensibly , easy on pockets too and not that much expensive to maintain like the polo.
2) polo is a strict 4 seater ,jaaz you can have 5 people with comfort .
2) weird warranty obligations from VW .
My pick is this 1) jaaz ,2) i20,3) polo.

The Jazz has a mileage of 17kmpl on the highway and 13kmpl in the city. i20 is almost similar. 17kmpl on the highway and 12kmpl in the city.

The Jazz has the superb interiors, acres of space, excellent performance and the Honda branding. It has two big negatives and that is terrible pricing and below average dealership network.

The Polo also has superb interiors and is suitable for 4. The performance is only average. The Volkswagen branding adds to its image. The pricing is better than the Jazz. The negative is poor dealership network.

The i20 defeats all others in every aspect - interiors, safety, equipment, handling, ride, pricing and the dealership. No major negatives.

I would suggest you go in for the i20.
Dear i20 has many negatives too
1) steering rattle .

2) ineffective ac

3)expensive a.s.s ( compared to Honda , maruti , Toyota .)

4) jaaz will always give better mileage looks at the ownership reports across all the forums on the net .

5) no standard safety equipment compared to jaaz , even the base model gets abs and airbags in jaaz .

And are you sure that the i20 handles better then jaaz and polo? iam asking this because if Hyundai has a bad name it's most because of the handling then anything else .

In hatches nothing will Handel as great as the punto, polo and figo rest all cars are plus and minus .

Last edited:
Dear i20 has many negatives too
1) steering rattle .

2) ineffective ac

3)expensive a.s.s ( compared to Honda , maruti , Toyota .)

4) jaaz will always give better mileage looks at the ownership reports across all the forums on the net .

5) no standard safety equipment compared to jaaz , even the base model gets abs and airbags in jaaz .

And are you sure that the i20 handles better then jaaz and polo? iam asking this because if Hyundai has a bad name it's most because of the handling then anything else .

In hatches nothing will Handel as great as the punto, polo and figo rest all cars are plus and minus .

I should agree with you on certain things.

1) Steering rattle - Yes, the i20 does have some problem with the steering, but that is something minor.

2) Ineffective A/C - Sorry about that. I have driven the i20 on only 2-3 occassions and all those times, I didn't use A/C.

3) Hyundai does have a high cost of ownership, compared to others. But their dealership network is good.

4) I gave the mileage of Jazz as more than the i20.

5) Safety: OK - The base Jazz has more safety features than the i20. But then, you cannot call that model as a base model since it isn't truly basic. Just like the Figo not having any true top-end model.

I am also not very much impressed with the i20/i10 handling, but I didn't feel it was bad. Average. Like I said, the Jazz has superb interiors, acres of space and excellent performance, the word performance includes handling. Yes, it is really a fun car to drive, unlike the i20, which isn't fun.

I listed the i20 according to his priority, ie. luxury, comfort, styling. Fuel economy is average, but a minor difference of 1-2 kmpl is there.

And, yes, the Punto is the best hatch. But since he didn't take it into consideration, I left it out.

Last edited:

Top Bottom