Replacement for the Siena

Thread Starter #1
Well my Siena or Petra has been serving me faithfully for a long time now. It's completed 80K kms but mor importantly is going to be 10 years old next year. Though it is still in tip top condition and really fun to drive, the time has come to say good bye to her. Well since the thread is in the shopper section, you know what I coming to. The replacement. To start with I want to go a segment higher and switch to Diesel. This will be my first diesel. I would have considered a petrol if my wife had considered the Punto MJD instead of the i10. So diesel it has to be. Well I've done some TD's but I won't share that with you as it may infleunce your suggestions. My budget is 20L stretchable. What do you suggest. Keep in mind that since I was using the Siena, I got used to the power and excellent handling and my next car cannot be a compromise on these 2 features. Once I have a few suggestions, I let you know what I've already checked out.

AMG

Suspended
20 lakh ex-showroom or on road?

Skoda superb is a no-brainer.
Also see if you can extend to the Merc C-class corporate.

Dont go in for the beemer 3 as it is due for an upgrade pretty soon.(2012)

assume 20Lakhs will be OTR price. I suggest you wait for the new Jetta , its coming with refreshed looks , a bit more features and a more powerful engine. Being a German , handling will be top-class , i have driven the current Jetta TDI and it was an absolute delight to drive it.

Next other choice is the Skoda Laura if you have confidence with Skoda's A.S.S.

If you can stretch it further to 25Lakhs you can consider the new Passat and Superb too.

replacing car like siena .
hmm , ideal choice would be to go for toyota corolla altis. it would come around 15lac with added luxury, solid built ,brand value and peace of mind.

Thread Starter #5
Firstly sorry for the duplicate thread. Vibhor, can you move the posts here and delete the other thread? I guess there was some problem with my internet as I only created 1 thread.

20 lakh ex-showroom or on road?

Skoda superb is a no-brainer.
Also see if you can extend to the Merc C-class corporate.

Dont go in for the beemer 3 as it is due for an upgrade pretty soon.(2012)
I tested the Laura, Superb, 320D, C Class (petrol & diesel). The Laura and superb with the DSG gearbox were really nice to drive and quite loaded. The BMW of course was great plus the badge. The Merc was also nice in Diesel. In fact as good as the BMW. However I later realised that the Engine on the Avantgrade (TD car) & Elegance is 204 BHP whereas the Executive (stripped down version) had a 170 BHP engine. They didn't have a car with this engine to test. The petrol Merc was disappointing.

assume 20Lakhs will be OTR price. I suggest you wait for the new Jetta , its coming with refreshed looks , a bit more features and a more powerful engine. Being a German , handling will be top-class , i have driven the current Jetta TDI and it was an absolute delight to drive it.

Next other choice is the Skoda Laura if you have confidence with Skoda's A.S.S.

If you can stretch it further to 25Lakhs you can consider the new Passat and Superb too.
I did visit the VW showroom too but the TD Passat was not available. The Jetta was the old version and not available in DSG. The TD car was also not available.

replacing car like siena .
hmm , ideal choice would be to go for toyota corolla altis. it would come around 15lac with added luxury, solid built ,brand value and peace of mind.
Luxury and reliability, the Toyota has it. But not handling. The Altis is just too boring. I didn't even check it out. Maybe I will just to be sure I'm not missing anything.

I did try out the Merc and BMW even though my budget was 20L. As can be seen there is really nothing much in the 12-20 bracket. Most of the good choices are closer to 20L. Need to work out and see if I can afford the luxury brands. Any idea what discounts are available on Mercs and BMW's in the rest of the country? The dealers here are not giving much. The BMW is being replaced next year and the Merc is getting the Face Lift soon. I don't like the face lifted version though.

I was hoping to check out the A4 too. However there is no dealer in Goa. The Pune dealer handles Goa. Their TD car met with an accident and they cannot drive cars on temporary registration across the border. Merc and BMW guys keep saying it's a FWD car and not fun to drive. However I want to see myself. Going by the Laura L&K and Superb (same engine & gearbox), I have high expectations with the A4.

Last edited:
And hey taxes in Goa must be lesser i guess , we have been telling the cars according to prices in our place. Mind sharing the prices of the cars you have driven so far so that we can get a fair idea on the pricing?

I assume you don't need an SUV and you are looking for a sedan with AT. Regarding Jetta its launching in August and the diesel version is coming with a DSG.

If you want the brand value go ahead with one of the three German giants. My personal preference would be A4 but it is the costliest of the lot i think.

Performance wise the Superb and Passat are good enough and offer more features than the luxury brands. Its your call finally.

i would suggest the Laura 2.0 DSG. yes i know its pricey at around 18-20 lacs. but still its one hell of a performer and handling is probably best in class. Superb is also a nice option.

Thread Starter #8
Taxes in Goa are no longer lower in Goa. In fact they are higher than Delhi & Mumbai. The C class and 3 series are around 28L OTR.

do look at the chevy cruze, except a lil cramped inside. in the auto box, its lovely to cruise & has decent power & features too.

Top Bottom