Replacement for the Siena

350Z

Core Team
It seems that your heart has been set on the German luxury brands. All three of them will cost over the given budget but if you can manage to stretch it, then 3 Series and A4 makes worth the consideration. On one hand, A4 TDi will be most economical on upkeep and on the other, 320d will offer exactly what you wish to have. The driving pleasure. Infact it's the cheapest too. Here the call is yours. Keeping aside this segment for a while, may I suggest you to check out the upcoming Volkswagen Jetta, Skoda Laura vRS and Hyundai i45? You also have some nice options from the current lot, namely, Chevrolet Cruze, Renault Fluence (Only Manual) and Volkswagen Passat or even the Superb. Last time I read, some rumours were floating about the Accord Diesel too but god knows what’s cooking up there in Honda Siel.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #32
Thanks for the suggestions Vibhor. I will do exactly that. Wait and watch. I have already asked VW to call me as soon as the have the TD car for the Passat and new Jetta. I wish Audi had a showroom in Goa. I will have to stretch my budget, maybe even do another voyage if I have to go for one of the big 3 Germans. But I think it will be worth it.

Thread Starter #33
More or less set on the 320d for the moment. However holding on for a few more months as I need to invest in a new house (with plenty of parking space).

Thread Starter #34
Finally I got a chance to TD the A4. Not the company TD vehicle but a private one for sale. He was quoting 24L for a 2007 model done 70K kms. The car was in good condition and I was impressed with the drive. Didn't feel any problem with the front wheel drive. However the car seemed dirty even though it was just washed. Looks like is was used without AC as there was a lot of dust inside. Today's papers had an ad for a 320d pre-facelift for 22L but done only 30K kms. Not seen the car but it is the version before the Highline and Corporate editions came. I also drove the A6 a few days ago but it's beyond my budget. Now when the official TD A4 comes I will have to compare the 3.

350Z

Core Team
If you’re also open for Pre-owned cars – Please don’t consider this particular model. The owner is asking too much and moreover the mileage is on higher side.

Drive Safe,
350Z

AMG

Suspended
24 L for an A4 with 70K on the odo. [shock]

He got to be mad asking for that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #37
If you’re also open for Pre-owned cars – Please don’t consider this particular model. The owner is asking too much and moreover the mileage is on higher side.

Drive Safe,
350Z
24 L for an A4 with 70K on the odo. [shock]

He got to be mad asking for that much.
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm much better off buying a new car. Anyway I've now driven all 3 of my shortlisted cars. The BMW 320D looks the best bet. I would have loved a new A4 but the new car comes in at 34L OTR. Beyond my budget.

Now since you have driven the Bmw 320d and the A4 which of these you rate high when it comes to performance , handling and driving pleasure? Does both 320d and A4 offer the same amount of space , legroom?

And also did you ask the A4 owner what were all the expenses or troubles he has faced with the car so far?

Thread Starter #39
Now since you have driven the Bmw 320d and the A4 which of these you rate high when it comes to performance , handling and driving pleasure? Does both 320d and A4 offer the same amount of space , legroom?

And also did you ask the A4 owner what were all the expenses or troubles he has faced with the car so far?
Performance wise the 320D, Merc C 250 and A4 2.0 TDI are quite evenly matched. However the Merc Executive (base) is available with a less powerful engine which I haven't driven. So far the BMW looks like the best bet. I would prefer the A4 but then they don't have a Corporate/Executive edition making it too expensive. Also Merc has discontinued the Executive with the facelift.
Sales of Merc & BMW were booming due to mining in Goa. The X6 sells more than the X1. The 5 Series and E-Class sell more than the 3 Series and C-Class. Now a big mining scam is being unearthed and many of these buyers will be going down. I hoping for better discounts with sales sharply dropping.

More or less set on the 320d for the moment.

Thread Starter #40
Finally got a chance to TD the Audi A4. The Pune dealer brought down the cars to Goa. Things didn't go well from the begining. The Goa rep called me to inform that the cars would be available. I scheduled a TD the next day. Called up BMW too and asked for a TD of the BMW 320D immediately after the A4 which they readily agreed. The next day I got ready for the TD and just before leaving called to confirm. Unfortunately the trailer had not arrived and the TD had to be cancelled. I called and cancelled the BMW TD too. Next day I called again and I was told that the cars had arrived in Goa and will be at the venue soon. So I proceeded to Verna (this is an industrial area of Goa and home to the dealerships of BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Ford, Toyota and JCB. My brothers as well as my industrial units are also located here). As I reached the venue I was greeted by the Audi rep as well as one of my friends who happens to be a DSA for finance. Again the A4 was not there. The cops stopped it as the trade plates were missing. After an agonizingly long wait, I got my hands on the car. Imediately took it for a spin. The slugishiness was immediately apparent. The car was perfect in all respects except for the engine and gearbox. I was also told that Audi is launching a Business Edition. However the dealer didn't have any details. Anyway I had not called BMW as I was not sure when I would be getting the A4 TD. Since the dealership was just across the road, I called the BMW SA but he was at the RTO. He immediately arranged for his collegue to give me the TD. It so happens that his collegue was earlier working for Audi and was in touch with me when I made my initial inquiry with Audi. Anyway he brought out the TD car (new one). The first TD I did was a maroon CE and this one was a blue one. The difference in the power and handling was immediately evident. There was absolutely not comparison between the BMW and the Audi. So now my only dilemma is; The current 320D or the new 320D. Since I'm making the purchase after another trip at sea, I'll probably have a better idea of the launch dates and pricing of the new 320D.

350Z

Core Team
New BMW 3 Series will be officially available in India most probably by Mid-2012. It is certainly better to wait for it since you are not in a hurry about the purchase.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks for sharing the info Peter , never knew Audi was sluggish compared to Bmw and Merc. Business edition from Audi looks interesting.

Even i would suggest you to wait since the facelift is expected next year.

Peter, honestly from my side, wait for the new 3. it is just fantabulous. it looks soo damn good. and being a bimmer, it will probably drive well as well.

Thread Starter #44
New BMW 3 Series will be officially available in India most probably by Mid-2012. It is certainly better to wait for it since you are not in a hurry about the purchase.
Even i would suggest you to wait since the facelift is expected next year.
Peter, honestly from my side, wait for the new 3. it is just fantabulous. it looks soo damn good. and being a bimmer, it will probably drive well as well.
I will wait for the new 3 series. But I hope they don't axe the CE like Merc did with the facelifted C Class. I got a call from the dealer today and he said that it's now available only in Avantgrade Trim at 35L. There will be no Elegance and Executive. He also said that they have a pre-facelift Executive Petrol for 25L OTR.
So just keeping my fingers crossed for the new 320D CE.

Thread Starter #45
As I mentioned in the other thread, the new 3 will be launched in June. There will be 3 variants (trims). The starting price will be around 34 Lakhs. The CE will be axed. This has come as a disappointment to me as I was hoping for something below 30L. However Merc has now re-introduced the Business Edition on the new C after initially dropping it. I feel BMW will do the same. The Audi A4 facelift is also coming out at the same time.

Top Bottom