Repairing a Tricky Dent on Underbody

Thread Starter #1
Hello, recently I had to travel to a remote place on my vento on rough roads. due to that the under body got a nasty dent. the local bodyshop guys and even the VW ASC are saying that the entire portion would be cut down, repair the dent and then weld it back.

I'm very uncomfortable with that, as I do not want to compromise with structural rigidity. will it be possible to mask the effect of dent or repair it in such way that it looks ok from outside without any cutting/welding work.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Repairing a tricky dent on the under body.

I had to travel to a remote place on my vento on rough roads. due to that the under body got a nasty dent. the local bodyshop guys and even the VW ASC are saying that the entire portion would be cut down, repair the dent and then weld it back.

I do not want to compromise with structural rigidity. will it be possible to mask the effect of dent or repair it in such way that it looks ok from outside without any cutting/welding work.
Actually both of them are right. The car's running board is damaged and honestly this panel in any car is the most tricky one to be repaired since it is attached to the frame of the car right from manufacturing stage and does not have space for hammering the dent out.

There is no way out except for welding and repairing it and be assured the structural rigidity won't be compromised. I got the running board of my Esteem done at the Maruti ASC and it is a day's work only.

To be at peace, I would suggest you to get it repaired at an ASC of VW.

Regards

Akash

Re: Repairing a Tricky Dent on the Underbody

Cutting & Welding is the only way for running board repair. Dent pullers won't help as this section is more rigid.

will it be possible to mask the effect of dent or repair it in such way that it looks ok from outside without any cutting/welding work.
1) Side skirts (Not sure if the skirt could sit properly with this dent)
2) Apply too much of filler element (???) and paint it (won't be long lasting)

Thread Starter #4

thanks guys for your inputs, I am thinking of going ahead with repair work from ASC. As this is very sore to the eyes and I'm having sleepless nights since the day it happened.

I was previously concerned with structural rigidity.. but now I think its ok.

I too have a similar dent on my Polo. Can any one suggest how much it costs to fix? The dent is about 15 inches [sad]

Do not worry, its not a complex job for the workshop guys.

Its there daily job. Structural rigidity is not compromised as just L shape cut is given to sheet metal to get space for removing the dent and then a proper weld is done. The only thing is good quality paint is required since that area is more exposed to dirt and water causing RUST.

Thanks for the update Amit. Yes I fixed it at ASC and it looks like a new car [:D]. Painting work too awesome. Totally its 4.8K.

Top Bottom