Repainting Carb Zen - Brick Red Colour

Thread Starter #107
Painting completed :D

Varun: By tomorrow I will paint the cowl plastic also in black by tomorrow.

Releesh: Any paint that is sprayed on this type of old rim will tend to get scratched easily, in that case black will not look good after getting scratches. Since the previous colour was also silver. But I do agree that black rims for this colour combo does look good.

Sumit: Thanks for your feedback, keep it coming. I totally forgot to cover the condenser!

THE BIG UPDATE:

Final Spray Painting done

Today the whole thing was successful due to 2 of my friends, the WagonR guy took an off from his job and the other guy spoke to his neighbours in the apartment and got approval for painting and parking and electricity usage as well.

There was a White Chevy beat parked in his apartment and we had to wait till 11am for it to leave then we I parked my car in and started off with masking etc
Before reaching the spot I washed the car at my home and used 800emri (sandpaper rubbing with water) to soften most of the panels.

Once the masking was done, I carefully mixed the PU Paint with thinner and hardener (ratios as advised by the guru) and started to spray a few masked areas (trial run on newspaper) then went in this order

Roof
Door inner edges and running board
Bonnet
Dikki
Fender + 2 doors and rear quarter panel (on one side then the other)

Few troubles midway
1. The gun kept on jamming (one of the 2 air holes gets choked frequently)
2. Severe pain in right arm due to painting roof (Painting a roof is as tiring as painting the rest of the car)
3. Some of the masked areas where not holding up resulting in the window glasses getting painted
4. The matt black finish on the door edges do not support the masking tape hence these areas could not be masked and yesterday's work is ruined a bit.

I will just summarise how it looks now

1. Better than what it used to be.
2. Right side is not that great, left side if good (much better than right side)
3. Roof is rough (due to paint smoke) will have to smoothen it using 1000 emri
4. one patch near the rear number plate is not nice
5. I will rate myself 6 (max) out of 10
6. Running board patch work (body filler work not up to the mark)

May be Sumit or Varun or Sreejesh or Speedyguy or Figoian or any Bangalore TAI member can have a look at it and share their feedback here.

Too tired to type any more so please enjoy pics, no descriptions this time.

Ups (12).jpg

Ups (6).jpg

Ups (9).jpg

DSC_1973.jpg

Ups (3).jpg

Ups (4).jpg

Ups (5).jpg

Ups (7).jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Great going SS80 [clap]
The zen is coming out really very well.
Dont worry about the black matt finish on the door borders. You can redo them easily.
Are you going to paint the plastic cowl also? (The one between the windshield and the bonnet).
What about the wiper arms? (Are you going to paint them also).
What about radiator grill? (Painting it or getting it new)
Painting is really a tiresome work, But your hardwork can be seen clearly in the car.
[clap]

Thread Starter #112
Slowly reaching the finish line

Great going SS80 [clap]
Are you going to paint the plastic cowl also? (The one between the windshield and the bonnet).
What about the wiper arms? (Are you going to paint them also).
What about radiator grill? (Painting it or getting it new)
Painting is really a tiresome work, But your hardwork can be seen clearly in the car.
[clap]
Thanks Sumit, the wiper arms, plastic cowl have been painted this morning, the mirrors and door edges will be painted black again tomorrow morning.

Bravo! ! superb ! work.. what about smoke tailight its look good on. red colour
[:)] The owner wants to car to be in almost stock condition so no mods to the tail lamps.

Superb work, BTW I sent you a PM. Reply when time permits.
Thanks a lot, Just saw the PM, will surely reply in a few minutes.

Few more pictures

The beat car which luckily cleared the space and allowed us to paint.
The beat car.jpg
My friends Jeep
friends jeep.jpg

Last night it rained and since the paint was already dry to a certain extent the rain dint cause any issues.
222.jpg

333.jpg

daytime pics (4).jpg

daytime pics (5).jpg

daytime pics (6).jpg

daytime pics (7).jpg

There are many panels with the rough finishing and need a lot of sanding and rubbing compound. I assumed that the toughest part of the painting was finished, but I was wrong. Some panels are too good (as good as showroom finish) and some panels are rough. I just got 5sheets of 800number sandpaper and will have to do it by tomorrow.

indicator cleaning (1).jpg

indicator cleaning (2).jpg

indicator DIY.jpg
Cleaned and fixed indicators as well.

The not so nice areas are as below
1. bumper crack.jpg

2. overspray on glass.jpg
Blade and soap water will help to remove these

3. roughy.jpg
The rough panels are a big pain to deal with. It is better to allow paint to overflow in some cases instead of getting this kind of roughness.

4. running board work.jpg
Running board could have been better finished.

Also fixed all door pads and the rear speaker unit in the hatch door, replaced screws in the number plates and fixed a few missing dashboard screws as well.

The wiper arm and cowl plastic in matte black. The cowl panel has a small mark of someone pressing it with hand in one corner!
matt paint (1).jpg
matt paint (2).jpg

Now just starting to clean the glasses.

Last edited:
Do post complete pic's of the car. I dont see any imperfections on the body panels/paint.

May be close observation required. When are you painting the door frames in black again.

Is the interior stuff fixed back ?

Thread Starter #116
Project completed

Jarpickle:
Yeah, I agree and that's what I did today. Thanks for the advice, I knew you will notice this[;)]

Varun:
Please see pics below, sorry I did not take much pictures today. Yes I have sprayed those door edges once again today. The grill is also painted in black.

Inuyasha:
Thanks again.

The update:
Car painting work is complete, the owner came to my home and did a lot of interior work on the car from 1.30pm till 10.30pm. He also did a good amount of rubbing and polishing as well.

He has to go to his native place tomorrow hence he needs the car today. The car is completely polished, replaced windshield washer nozzles, all door pads fit, I could not fix the roof plastic and also the glass channels[frustration]. He will have to get it fixed elsewhere.

The owner has collected the car tonight.

Attachments

Last edited:
[lol], I have an eye for detail.It has come with too many bad experiences though.The car looks nice Anand.Good first job.

How many coats of paint was used?

SS80- Great job done.
What about the badges on the boot lid?
Please ensure that you clean the paint from the lock cylinder on the boot lid and on both the front doors.

Top Bottom