Renault & Nissan Recalls Micra / Pulse and Sunny / Scala in India

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends. Nissan is calling back all its Micra and Sunny to India. NEW DELHI: Japanese carmaker Nissan Motor India has recalled 22,188 of its Micra hatchback and Sunny sedan produced at its Chennai plant to replace the master brake cylinder.

Nissan India would carry out the replacement of the faulty component free of charge and has informed its dealers on the same. "Nissan plans to begin notifying individual customers in May. Nissan dealers will replace the master brake cylinder at no cost to the customer. Nissan is committed to a high level of customer safety, service and satisfaction and is working with its dealers to promptly address this issue," the company said in a statement. 

Nissan India also said that no accidents, injuries or deaths have been reported so far and the company is undertaking the voluntary exercise to maintain high level of customer safety and service.

The company has recalled a total of 67,089 Micra and Sunny vehicles covering its market in Africa, Asia and Europe that were also impacted by the same faulty brake cylinder.ulty brake cylinder.

The Japanese carmaker has also globally recalled nearly 2.5 lakh units, but said that recall is not part of the India exercise and pertains to the fuel rail pressure sensor used in direct injection type engines of some of its models. Though this global recall includes 9,600 units of its small car Micra, being manufactured at its Oragadam plant near Chennai in Tamil Nadu and was sold in Europe.

Nissan, which plans to roll out its low-cost brand Datsun in India next year, had earlier announced a bigger recall affecting 841,000 cars worldwide due to a glitch with the steering wheels. The models: March(K12) and Cube(Z11) produced in Japan and Micra(K12) vehicles produced in UK had been sold in Japan, Europe, Asia, Oceania, Africa, Latin America and Middle East and would have to undergo a tightening of the steering wheel fixing bolt to the correct torque. The company said that repair would take about 40 minutes.

The company said. "This will not effect India and the vehicles are not manufactured in India."

Nissan India to recall 22,188 Micra and Sunny - The Economic Times on Mobile

Re: Nissan to call back all its Micra and Sunny to India

If they are "to call back all its Micra and Sunny cars to India" what will they do with the millions of cars once they are here?

Re: Nissan To Recall Micra and Sunny in India

[:D]OMG! It's not recall but recaaaaall.

But Nissan are braveheart , they have not hesitated to declare the recall in media rather than going for numerous silent and hidden recalls by other manufacturers.

I just dropped my Sunny to the workshop for master brake cylinder replacement. Hope with this change, the brake response times will improve. The problem i had with the current set of brakes is that the brake pedal has too much play in normal braking scenario (by normal i mean-- not emergency). In emergency braking, the current set up works well without a hitch.

My respect for Nissan as a brand as grown because they have accepted their mistake and replacing the cylinder free of cost. This part apparently costs 30K according to the dealer and Nissan would have taken quite a hit with this but they are still going ahead with the change.

Compare this with the Suzuki. They have a known brake problem at low rpm for the swift but they are not ready to acknowledge. My cousin who had a swift bumped the front car in B2B crawling Blore traffic once, because brakes simply did not work. On complaining several times, the company quietly did some update(probably a firmware upgrade to increase the idling RPM) and now it seems it is resolved but they never acknowledge this publicly.

Last edited:

why do you guys buy a vehicle at first place with poor brakes? what where you thinking while doing test driving? explain please.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Renault Scala and Pulse recalled to replace brake master cylinders

Now comes another recall. When the news came in that Nissan has issued a voluntary recall for the Sunny and the Micra over a fault in the brake system at low speed conditions, we expected that Renault would follow suit.

nd just as expected, Renault has also announced a voluntary recall for the Scala and the Pulse over the same issue. Given that the Scala and the Pulse are badge engineered siblings of the Sunny and the Micra respectively, it’s obvious that the problem will plague all the four cars alike.

The potential defect in the master brake cylinder of the cars might result in longer brake pedal travel during application of the brakes at slow speeds. This in turn could result in longer braking distances.

Oncars.in reports that the recall program will cover the Scalas and Pulses that are manufactured between June 1, 2012 and March 15, 2013. Renault has built 2,836 Pulses and 4,180 Scalas in that period. Owners of affected cars will be contacted by their local dealership for a free replacement of the brake master cylinder.

Though no accidents were reported due to this defect and there is no compulsion or rule by the government to issue a recall, it is nice to see the manufacturer coming forward with a preventive measure, which sends a positive message about the brand to the customers.
Renault Scala & Pulse recalled over defective brake system

here's an update from Kolkata. I had sent my vehicle for service on 28th may. at the time, the ASC people claimed no knowledge of the recall, and the senior person i spoke to, said that yes there is news of a recall but their neither have the parts available, nor do they have any official notification from Nissan/HAI to make any replacements. Later the great customer service guy they have (probably qualified for this position being the master lier that he is) claimed that he has checked my VIN no. and that my vehicle had OK brakes and only some of the vehicles have to go through the recall. I knew it was bullcrap right away because they news release clearly stated the period of manufacturing of defective cars, and it is highly unlikely that one car in that period will not be defective. I asked him to put this in writing, and he nearly soiled himself. 3 days later, he embarrassed himself by calling me to say that my vehicle is indeed part of the recall. (why do people try to be oversmart and then end up looking foolish? ill probably never know, but I love making them look foolish in the end anyway). I told him to arrange pickup/ delivery, and that I am not paying for the pickup or delivery charges, and also they should consider compensating me as the ASC is a 50 km roundtrip from my house and i am being forced to send my car twice in the space of a few days to get work done due to their faults. that shut him up good.

My respect for Nissan as a brand as grown because they have accepted their mistake and replacing the cylinder free of cost. This part apparently costs 30K according to the dealer and Nissan would have taken quite a hit with this but they are still going ahead with the change.
hope your car stops better now [:)]

I tend to believe that MNCs place a large value on their brandname, and will go to great lengths to protect it. in the west, where there is something called customer rights and the rule of law, they issue recalls to avoid paying a much higher amount later to settle a class action lawsuit and another huge sum to account for notional loss in brand value erosion. indian cos. (and by extension, most cos operating in india), simply dont have to care enough. they just have to keep the media and policymakers in their backpocket. thats it.

Compare this with the Suzuki. They have a known brake problem at low rpm for the swift but they are not ready to acknowledge. My cousin who had a swift bumped the front car in B2B crawling Blore traffic once, because brakes simply did not work. On complaining several times, the company quietly did some update(probably a firmware upgrade to increase the idling RPM) and now it seems it is resolved but they never acknowledge this publicly.
your cousin should consider taking this information public through a respectable media outlet to name and shame the guilty.

Hi Disperspective
You can key in your VIN number here to check for recall
Nissan India | Voluntary Recall Information
I have had a better dealer experience in Mysore. When i called up, the dealer quickly checked and agreed that my car was in the recall list. He gave me a slot for the next day to replace my master cylinder. Now the braking has response improved tangibly. But make no mistake, this is nowhere close to competition. The play in the brakes is still there but there is more bite now than before. Have to check with other folks to see what their experience has been after the replacement. Do please keep me posted on your upgrade.

I drove my sis Ertiga for around 100 km and then switched back to Sunny and I was like [surprise][surprise]. Is this really an upgrade??

Last edited:
Hi Disperspective
You can key in your VIN number here to check for recall
Nissan India | Voluntary Recall Information
I have had a better dealer experience in Mysore. When i called up, the dealer quickly checked and agreed that my car was in the recall list. He gave me a slot for the next day to replace my master cylinder. Now the braking has response improved tangibly. But make no mistake, this is nowhere close to competition. The play in the brakes is still there but there is more bite now than before. Have to check with other folks to see what their experience has been after the replacement. Do please keep me posted on your upgrade.

I drove my sis Ertiga for around 100 km and then switched back to Sunny and I was like [surprise][surprise]. Is this really an upgrade??
i honestly cannot tell the difference in braking pre- and post- the part change. i doubt if they even did what they were supposed to.

Hi Disperspective, I infer from your sentence that you actually got the replacement done but noticed no change- Am I right?
I think thats pretty much what i have been hearing from others who got their done. This replacement will get the brakes to the same braking level as the first batch of cars(which have not been recalled) [frustration]. Well they missed a great opportunity to get their brakes sorted- Seems like this is a problem with all the Renault Nissan products. My friend who owns a duster was also complaining of spongy brakes sometime.

Top Bottom