Renault Duster RxE 85 or Tata Safari LX or Mahindra Scorpio LX

Renault Duster RxE 85 OR Tata Safari LX OR Mahindra Scorpio LX

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
A poll like this had to happen, isn't it?

Am not buying one but looking at the enthusiasm at the Renault Duster : Now Launched thread, (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...d-rs-7-19-lakh-coverage-pg-20-a-new-post.html), I just thought that a poll like this would give an instant readout of the winner in the battle of the compact SUVs.

There is ONLY one simple assumption: budget - Rs. 9 lakhs OTR, give or take a few thousand, and therefore, base models only. Rest is all open to your needs, wants, passion, fantasies, and so on so forth.

And since this is an apples to apples comparo, let's not give replies like " I'd anyday go for Ertiga/Vento/Rio:biggrin:/Xylo." or "I'd rather wait for the Strome/Ecosport."

So let's see which one the TAIndians vote for.

May the best SUV win !

@Moderators: I think it would be interesting to merge the two threads. Please do so if you deem it okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think this thread would be of relevance when the ford ecosport , or the likes in the same category arrive.

though the the price bracket is overlapping for the vehicles, i think the segment will mature going along with new entrants coming in the future.

It all depends on the use one has with his car .if one has a family bigger then 5 people the duster is out period.
But if one has a small family is concerned with mileage , look and ease of driving and parking and better ergonomics then duster can eat the cake here .
We still need to see atleast for 6 months or a year how the duster behaves in real life situations and a.s.s .

On the enthusiasm side, i see Safari and Scorpio in this fight (Duster pulls the hands down for the lower capacity diesel engine).

Anyway its very tough to select with Sa and So. Where one has good comfort and features and other has great engine and good A.S.S support.
Scorpio seems a better buy than Safari.

This comparo is wrong coz the segments are different.
As Vishwas is there above, this is like comparing Eicher mini-truck with Tata 1613 !![lol]

And ecosport should be compared with the likes of i20 or jazz. Just putting a spare tyre on hatch + high GC doesn't make a UV.

For vote, I go with Storme, but here voting for safari.

This comparo is wrong coz the segments are different.
As Vishwas is there above, this is like comparing Eicher mini-truck with Tata 1613 !![lol]

And ecosport should be compared with the likes of i20 or jazz. Just putting a spare tyre on hatch + high GC doesn't make a UV.

For vote, I go with Storme, but here voting for safari.
The market has proved that jaaz and i20 sell now what is wrong in having the same foot print with high GC and suv styling not every 1 is interested in Scorpio and safari I can show you people who hate scorpios and safaris and don't love SUVs much the greatest example is you .
Again is ecosport claiming to be a safari or a utility people mover ? No the concept is small foot print with high GC and suv type body styling as simple as that people who are willing to buy hatches like jaaz and i20 the ecosport becomes a option with a differnt style just this .
People who have safari and Scorpio in their mind will never even consider the ecosport but people who wanted a suv type car but dint wanted to go for a safari and Scorpio the ecosport is the car which can attract them if and only if ford prices it right .
I love Scorpio and safari to be honest but I have seriously no use of such a big vehicle because my family is small nor we travel outside Mumbai and hardly ever carry huge amount of luggage so instead of buying a jaaz why cant I have a option of ecosport which somewhat satisfy my love for suv type styling . And ford is exactly looking for coustomers like this who want to upgrade to a premium hatch say from a alto to punto or wagon r to jaaz or spark to i20.

Utility point of view if you ask then yes ertiga is vfm option no doubt about it and people who really want a proper suv type safari and Scorpio becomes a option and people who want a suv which drives like a sedan and bigger then the ecosport but smaller then Scorpio and safari the duster becomes a option .

i think this thread would be of relevance when the ford ecosport , or the likes in the same category arrive.

though the the price bracket is overlapping for the vehicles, i think the segment will mature going along with new entrants coming in the future.
+100 I agree with you because as the segment matures real comparison can be made for example
Comparison between - ecosport, maruti compact suv , Chevy compact suv , Toyota compact suv rush .,duster

Comparison between - sumo grande , xylo , ertiga , tavera, Hyundai hexa concept

Comparison between - safari , Scorpio , force 1 , xuv

Comparison between - Innova , Nissan uv , chevorlet enjoy .aria .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have voted for the Scorpio.

I think I dont need to explain why!
MSparrow !! ;)

The market has proved that jaaz and i20 sell now what is wrong in having the same foot print with high GC and suv styling not every 1 is interested in Scorpio and safari I can show you people who hate scorpios and safaris and don't love SUVs much the greatest example is you .
+1. But then, those who don't like the stance of UV, will never buy one.
Had this been the case, why is Premier not doing so well ?? Ofcourse, it is Premier, which is major factor.....but atleast handful of them should be on road.

Next is mini-xylo. Looks just like shrunken xylo. If a person doesn't like xylo, why will he like his younger sibling ??

Again is ecosport claiming to be a safari or a utility people mover ? No the concept is small foot print with high GC and suv type body styling as simple as that people who are willing to buy hatches like jaaz and i20 the ecosport becomes a option with a differnt style just this .
But this body style appeals to those who like UVs at first place.
Imagine your GF or wifey in something like duster & then in Jazz. Which looks better ? And I doubt how many ladies will be driving around this duster type of vehicles. Ofcourse, there's a girl who drives a Chevy Captiva, but it is driven only when her Honda City is not available. Anyways, these girls are hopeless when it comes to driving, once I was very close of banging onto her. The only cross-over which looks good for ladies is Honda CRV, because of its girly looks.

People who have safari and Scorpio in their mind will never even consider the ecosport but people who wanted a suv type car but dint wanted to go for a safari and Scorpio the ecosport is the car which can attract them if and only if ford prices it right .
+1. But again see that most who opt for hatches look for FE as important criterion & except for swift, most of remaining hatches have sale in petrol, & I doubt whether duster petrol will actually pick up well.

I love Scorpio and safari to be honest but I have seriously no use of such a big vehicle because my family is small nor we travel outside Mumbai and hardly ever carry huge amount of luggage so instead of buying a jaaz why cant I have a option of ecosport which somewhat satisfy my love for suv type styling . And ford is exactly looking for coustomers like this who want to upgrade to a premium hatch say from a alto to punto or wagon r to jaaz or spark to i20.
+1. There you are. First of all you like UV type styling. As said above, it is only people like you who like UV like styling but want compact size will opt for something like ecosport. But then, how many people are there in the market who think this way ?? And if the rear legroom is seen of duster, then its really horrible. I find Jazz better then. No use of looking different from outside when one is cramped inside.

BTW, couple of days ago I saw Ertiga with spare wheel on back door. Seems owner thought that by doing something like that, it will become SUV.[lol]

Utility point of view if you ask then yes ertiga is vfm option no doubt about it and people who really want a proper suv type safari and Scorpio becomes a option and people who want a suv which drives like a sedan and bigger then the ecosport but smaller then Scorpio and safari the duster becomes a option .
Again +1, but any UV, even if it is compact, can't match driving pleasure of sedan.

To cut long story short,

If UV/SUVs are MEN, then duster/ecosport are BOYS.[lol]
And SEDANS are GENTLEMEN.[glasses]

Last edited:
@sclass
First we can't seriously consider premier rio with ecosport forget desgin iam talking about reliability here.
About fuel economy duster, ecosport can match fuel mileage of many hatch backs .
What is wrong for a women driving a compact suv iam sure any women driving a ecosport will look as cool as she might look driving a jaaz.
Yes you are right sedans are for gentlemen once I cross 40 I will surely look for 1 nice sedan

@sclass
First we can't seriously consider premier rio with ecosport forget desgin iam talking about reliability here.
I am bit more optimistic as Rio will now be getting the Fiat multijet engine & this is the best engine till date in its segment.

About fuel economy duster, ecosport can match fuel mileage of many hatch backs .
Even if it does so, I don't think the price of ecosport will be the same as that hatch having same FE. If it does, then ecosport would have pulled a hell lot of things away from cos like Maruti & Hyundai. But I serious doubt whether ecosport will be available below 7-7.5L even for base model.

What is wrong for a women driving a compact suv iam sure any women driving a ecosport will look as cool as she might look driving a jaaz.
There is nothing wrong in lady driving compact UV, just that it doesn't suit my eyes, thats all. [;)] BTW, my comments were based more on duster than ecosport.

And I have seen a woman driving a Bullet 350 bike !! Imagine what that bike must be feeling like.[frustration]

Yes you are right sedans are for gentlemen once I cross 40 I will surely look for 1 nice sedan
Oh, you just made me & vipul Uncle, or seeing our love for sedans, maybe even grandpa. [lol]

There are many magnificent animals that roam/have roamed our planet.But there can be only one king of beasts and that's the LION.Similarly there can be only one tyrrant ruler of all cars,ladies and gentlemen all hail the king: TATA SAFARI.

mahindra scorpio rocks anyday [clap] well no car has launched till now which can beat scorpio..hmm except safari but its let down coz of tata's a.s.s!

Top Bottom