Removing Molds From Car Interior & Seat Covers

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Today I came across a surprising and weired thing in Morning when I opened my car to go somewhere, I observed Fungus Growing on my seat cover and Steering wheel and little moldy smell. (The car was parked since last sunday, could not used it due to Heavy rain)

since it was a little growth I didn't paid attention, cleaned it with a cloth and continued driving, picked up one of my friend on the way, he also identified the faint smell and asked me if there is fungus grown anywhere in car. Because he has experienced the same problem in his Wagon R earlier.

He explained - Once he accidentally parked his car with windows open and suddenly rain started, by the time he came back to car, his front two seats were wet due to rain.
He cleaned the seats and tried to soak the water from seats, then decided not to use the car till the seats are dried completely, after 2-3 days when he checked, he realized that there is fungal growth all over the seats and interior of the car.

He took the car to professional Cleaner - 3M, Seawoods, there the person told him, since the seats were wet and he parked the car, molds were grown due to humidity captured inside the car.

So being Microbiologist I would suggest all member here, please do not take it lightly if you observe mold formation inside you car anywhere, small growth may become big as is spreads fast, this may observed in the area with heavy rains and humidity, Infection of molds to human may be serious which will fall you seriously ill if exposed in high amount.[cry] ( I will check and will updates how to remove it from car)

(Dear Mods please move the thread in respective section if possible, I posted here as suited.)

Also request all the members to share your views on this as it is not only related to the Health of our Beloved Car but also to Ourself as well.:please:

Happy Driving!!!!

Last edited:
In monsoon when the car is not used for long time you can keep a packet of dessicant like silica gel or absorbia (trade name) inside the car. You can regenerate blue silica gel when it turns pink by heating in a oven or low flame in gas oven in a kadhai. This works well.
Search Amazon and you will get these.
Regarding removal of mold vinegar or diluted bleach works best. But both have negative effects. I found household lysol works well and does not harm your carpet, car metal body or seat covers even if it is left over.
Best natural remedy is strong sunlight. Nothing works better than full tropical sun.
Being a microbiologist you may know these already!!

Thread Starter #3
@archat68

Yes I know how to deal with Molds in Laboratory[:D]
But as far as car interior is concern I am less aware which consists of various surfaces.
Like Bleach may damage the seats or carpets if not used properly.
Vinegar is acid I don't know how it will affect the surface but the fumes if remained inside may create uneasy environment.
You said Lysol may work, however it is detergent not disinfectant and mold spore are resistant to detergent.
As you rightly said strong sunlight works better but it is too difficult to find such environment in rainy season atleast in city like Mumbai. And other thing is exposing to sunlight is temporary remedy as the mold spores still may remain inactive inside the cabin until they get favorable conditions like humidity or wet surface.

Happy Driving....

I never faced this problem in my car for the past 19 yrs, though we lived in Mumbai, Pune and now in Mangalore.
What I do is normally keep a small gap open( about 1-2 mm) at driver's door glass, so there is will be air circulation and also helps the car perfume circulation too. I am hearing this kind of fungus formation for the 1st time. One more thing, I use Cotton seat covers and normally change it once in 2-3 weeks.

Thread Starter #5
Hi All,

Today I googled for this issue and found couple of procedures on the same please find below links,
Removing Mold From A Cars Interior | Car Cleaning Guru
How To Clean Mold in A Car - Get Green Be Well

@archat68 I came across an article in which they told that Vinegar can be used to remove molds/Fungus from cabin and it will not affect any surface of the car. The best suited Vinegar to do this is White Distilled Vinegar, We have to dilute the vinegar in 1:1 proportion or can also use more concentration if contamonation is high, One more precaution to be taken that it has to be done in Open environment with proper protective gear (Safety goggles, Hand gloves, Mask, etc.)

Happy Driving!!!

Thread Starter #6
I never faced this problem in my car for the past 19 yrs, though we lived in Mumbai, Pune and now in Mangalore.
What I do is normally keep a small gap open( about 1-2 mm) at driver's door glass, so there is will be air circulation and also helps the car perfume circulation too. I am hearing this kind of fungus formation for the 1st time. One more thing, I use Cotton seat covers and normally change it once in 2-3 weeks.
@VR Shenoy,

Do you Keep small gap open in rains as well? Didn't you experienced the water spillage inside from the gap?
I guess You must be having covered parking [clap] Lucky man if you have.
Proper cleaning always important Thats is how we can keep these kid of contamination out.

Happy Driving...

@VR Shenoy,

Do you Keep small gap open in rains as well? Didn't you experienced the water spillage inside from the gap?
I guess You must be having covered parking [clap] Lucky man if you have.
Proper cleaning always important Thats is how we can keep these kid of contamination out.

Happy Driving...
Mr Ganesh, I was fortunate to have covered car parking when we lived in Mumbai and Pune, that too in the middle of the parking lot.. Now I have my own Independent House in Mangalore with covered car parking area and I clean my car practically once in 3/4 days (and now in Monsoon practically every alternate day) since I get reasonable water pressure as the water hose is connected to a place where the overhead tank water is accessible.
Since it is Monsoon time, I also got the Engine Bay cleaning done here only, as the dirt is not bothering other neighbors and flows easily with rain water. You can read this old man's simple tasks in the threads – “Washing your Engine Bay step by step guide by sumitsinha”. Also can read my task as regards my struggle to get the underbody coating done under the thread – “Underbody Anti rust coating – queries” and now my struggle to get my carburetor overhauled since I could not get the new carb at MASS Mandovi here after waiting for 3 weeks. Of Course many days of exchanging views was done with enthusiastic youngsters like swiftshashsi, swiftharsh, sumitsinha and so one under the thread – “Maruti 800 Technical Issues n Solutions” – last 10-12 pages.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
My Alto K10 car was parked (covered car parking) & not taken out her for about 20days during heavy monsoon. I did not even check the car, but one morning when we wanted to go out, I opened the door and found all seats are full with Mold. I have cleaned the seats with a wet cloth and kept the car under sun with all doors kept open for few minutes before driving the car out.

After one week, i.e yesterday I opened car (mostly the car is kept with car body cover on) and found mold again in all seats, but not so heavy as it was in the first time (may be intensity of the rain has reduced for the past few days).

I googled and found that cleaning with vinegar is the best way to remove those mold and I did same thing and also kept the car under Sun for about 15 minutes. Again today (just now) checked the car and unable trace any mold, though we had some rain last night.

I had Ford Fiesta which was also parked in the same parking space for over 6 years and never ever had this mold problem on the car (fiesta) seat or anywhere, as we used to get similar rain season every year.

Is that the quality of the seat cover which gets this mold forms easily (Fiesta Seat covers were the original one from the Company wheras for K10, I have put art leather seat cover which purchased from market.???

Wipe the seats with diluted Lysol (10ml in a liter of water) solution twice . The leftover Lysol will prevent further mold for some time. Also check if there are some area inside the car which is wet due to rain or any water spillage.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Checked again today, no trace of molds yet. Hope the Vinegar application seems working. If it comes again, then will try the Lysol mixture.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Update : Seems the Vinegar application is not working on my case when I checked today, found some trace of molds in the rear seat and back side of front seats.

So, applied Lysol today (also kept the car under sun for some time) and see if it comes back again.!!

I never had this problem with my Fiesta all these years (same place/same parking area) - is that the art leather seat cover put on the K10 is attracting the molds??

Top Bottom