Rekindling of an Eternal Rivalry: Safari Storme vs New Gen Scorpio

Which is a better SUV:

• Total voters
Thread Starter #16
@Vipul,

Vipps, can you post a nice comparo of Storme vs Scorpio here after your TD of the NG Scorpio? Am really looking forward to reading your comparo. Bring it soon bro.:biggrin:

PS: If new Scoprio with rear drum brakes can have better braking performance than Storme which has disc brakes all around, then my respect to MnM. But am not gonna believe it until TSIVipul confirms this.[;)]

This is too early for the comparison between beasts. Scorpio has been launched and the Safari Strome is due for upgrade and is expected to be out by Dec or Jan 15.

So better wait for the comparison buddies.

Well, 200 mm in length and 100 mm in width is big in car world. Now just look at Land Rover Discovery. It is humongous isnt it. BUT it is just as wide as the Storme.

To be speaking in dumb terms. Storme is a whole 2 cubic meters larger than Scorpio in volume.
Storme is definitely a bigger vehicle and 40kg is something you can ignore considering the sheer size of the vehicle and the difference between the size of the two.

Have you driven the NEW scorpio or just assumed ? Even if you did, I wouldn’t expect any different claim from you though.
This is what AutocarIndia has to say on these departments. Now don’t claim anything which you can’t support it with credible source.
Is there anything in the review which says something like "the suspension and ride quality is comparable to Safari/Storme"?
Well, after owning an Innova for more than 92000 kms, I can tell you that it has got a handling that no other UV can match but ride and comfort is not comparable to Safari though it rides better than the older Scorpy(Note: I have owned a Safari for 8k and Scorpio for 18k kms in past and have extensie experience of driving the newer versions of Scorpio(except the latest one) and Safari/Storme of too).
This way all they mean is that finally it has neared Innova in ride quality but yet to touch the ride of Safari/Storme.

More compact = better mileage ? The reason for the better FE of new Scorpio ? Thanks for the enlightenment.
I would take the better mileage the new Scorpio offers any day though, if the performance isn’t affected with that.
+100

You missed out a very important parameter here- the after-sale SUPPORT from the MANUFACTURER.

I definitely can’t afford to compromise on the efficiency of work and the treatment given at A.S.Ss/Dealerships during the ownership. If the response from the Manufacturer isn’t prompt and professional, owning any of these beasts is going to be a definite disaster on a long run for sure.
+100 again

It’s all about whether the car has seen any improvements from its predecessor based on the customer feedback. That is an indication of whether the manufacturer is customer centric or not. New Scorpio wins again
The biggest thing it is. Mahindra is very well following their customer demands and trying their best to address every of the demand and issues.[clap]

Just saw Autocar review of the NG Scorpio. According to Renuka Kriplani the interior plastics are still hard, and brakes are spongy. Braking is one area where Storme shines, IMO.
Should we talk braking distance here?
Only feel isn't enough, the distance also needs to be shorter.
XUV also has spongy brakes but a shorter stopping distance as compared to Storme.

While the plastics are hard, they are better finished than the Storme in most areas. Coming to braking, the lower CG of the Scorpio, and the improved suspension and chassis dynamics lend it far greater levels of controls than the Storme.
Well, Storme has got a good fit and finish as well as decent quality plastics too. It's just that the design of the center console is a bit odd(the single din spoils it else it's good) and until we see the Scorpio in real, commenting on fit, finish and plastic quality won't do justice.

Apart from the greater in-cabin space for 5 people (the last row in the Storme is horribly cramped for adults) and the roof mounted ac vents, there are no other areas where it "really shines" IMO.
  • Ride quality
  • Straight line stability
  • NVH - this adds a lot to comfort.
BTW, even Scorpio also isn't having proper seven seats.

PS: I have driven both vehicles reasonably extensively in the same kind road and load conditions.
Me too!!

PS: If new Scoprio with rear drum brakes can have better braking performance than Storme which has disc brakes all around, then my respect to MnM. But am not gonna believe it until TSIVipul confirms this.[;)]
All round discs have nothing 'much' to do with overall braking performance.
Honda City still brakes better than the Verna where Verna has wider tires and all round discs. There are a lot more factors than just two discs and calipers, something that can be clarified after a brutal assessment.

It's just that the design of the center console is a bit odd(the single din spoils it else it's good) and until we see the Scorpio in real, commenting on fit, finish and plastic quality won't do justice.
So you say you have not yet seen the new Scorpio yet.

And you have driven it..!!! How?[lol]

So you say you have not yet seen the new Scorpio yet.
I meant:
"the single din in the Storme spoils the quality and comments can't be made on the plastics of Scorpio until seen and experienced by ourselves". Please go through the entire part once again.
BTW, have you seen a single din in the new Scorpio? Or any new Scorpy dash pic you got with a single din? I mean it was still a bit understood, at least if the reader try to.

And you have driven it..!!! How?[lol]
Just seen and that also one moving on the road or say I have seen one from 'outside'. Yet to drive but will do it soon.

Last edited:
Lets just wait for the new upgraded version of Safari Storme with the new Harman Touchscreen Infotaionment system and JBL speakers. It sure will be awesome.

It may something look like the one in the pic. With its world class fit and finish, unmatched ride and handling, over a decade of legacy and double din Harman touchscreen infotainment system, India's first SUV will look much oosing with quality. Courtesy Leading auto blog.

Anyways, when we compare the ride and handling this is what most of the reviewers from auto experts world talk about:

RIDE AND HANDLING

The new Safari is dynamically far better than the older car, which makes it much nicer to drive. The ride and handling is one of the biggest improvements Tata engineers have made. The SUV is now much more predictable to drive around the corners and it takes a lot more than the odd bump to unsettle it. There’s still a fair amount of body roll because of the tall stance and it tends to sway a fair bit through a series of corners. The steering feel, though better than before, still doesn’t give the feedback we would like. It feels quite vague with lots of play around the straight-ahead position. However, the Storme is a lot more confidence-inspiring than the Scorpio.
The Storme’s ride is now very settled over most surfaces and at low speeds, the pliant suspension absorbs most bumps with aplomb. Even when speeds rise, it stays settled and straight-line stability is impressive.

The Scorpio’s suspension is tuned towards a softer ride, but it still jiggles around even on smooth roads. It never feels as settled or rides as flatly as the Safari. At higher speeds, the Scorpio has a tendency to bob through dips and doesn’t feel as stable as we would have liked. Adding to its handling woes is the light steering, which doesn’t weigh up as speeds rise. The Scorpio, despite all its suspension revisions over the years, still doesn’t have the dynamic capability to match the Storme. Under heavy braking as well, the Storme feels more reassuring than the Scorpio, whose centre pedal doesn’t have the same bite or progressive feel.
Courtesy: http://www.hindustantimes.com/autos...orme-vs-mahindra-scorpio/article1-977030.aspx

Ride and handling is the one main factor which I look in an automobile of any class and any size. Becoz that is what an ethusiast driver enjoys when he is driving and not the looks!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

AMG

Suspended
Because sir, SUVs are like cruisers. They are meant to be good in a straight line.

SUVs are not an R1 that will run around a racetrack. No SUV will give you an enthusiast oriented ride and handling.

No SUV will give you an enthusiast oriented ride and handling.
Sirji go and drive Skoda Yeti or Honda CR-V, maybe your opinion will change. BTW there are others too like Cayenne, Macan, X series etc but I won't name them as those are premium ones.

TD NG Scorpio,I tried changing lane at 120 kmph and believe me it's really stable.
Engine is damn responsive and braking is ok.
Lanes can be changed stably even at 180 kph and believe me, I have done that. But what matters is how much was the steering input.
The mHAWK is definitely a hoot to drive and it pulls very cleanly to its redline, definitely an engine that's worth a mention. Is the braking improved over the outgoing model?

This article you posted here in the "New Scorpio" thread is only about 2 year old. [;)]
View attachment 147850
Nice catch [clap]

AMG

Suspended
Sirji, always compare an SUV to its nearest similarly priced competitor.

Incase of Yeti, compare it to Laura. Incase of CR-V, compare it with accord.

Then see what I'm talking about.

Top Bottom