Refining the ICE of MY Verna Fluidic. Please Help Guys.

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I would like to introduce myself to this forum of the elites. My name is Amneet Ahluwalia and I am from Chandigarh. I own a Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 SX (Diesel) and this post is with regards to the ICE currently installed in it. According to the given format, the details are as follows:

BUDGET RANGE: Rs 25,000 only

LOOKING FOR: Upgrade

PREFERRED BRAND: Polk Audio

EXISTING AUDIO SETUP:-

-----Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-X8590BT
-----Front Door Components: Polk Audio MM6501
-----Rear Tray Co-axials (6x9): Polk Audio MM691
-----4 Channel Amplifier: Polk Audio PA660.4
-----Mono Channel Amplifier: Polk Audio PA880.1
-----Bass Box in the Car Boot: Polk Audio DXi112
-----Wiring Kits: 2 Pairs of Kicker 4 AWG

The front doors are fully damped with Ballastic Damping sheets. The rear plastic tray has been replaced with a wooden (MDF) tray which holds the ovals. The iron tray underneath is properly cut in the shape of the speakers and is completely damped from top and bottom. The entire trunk of the car is also damped, including the lid.

PROBLEM:-

My problem is that I am not able to get the required sound quality. The bass box is not producing a quality bass, it is just thumping without a coordination to the music being played. Also, when I disconnect the bass box, there is absolutely no bass in the car from the speakers. I was hoping to get some good quality sound without the bass box too. The guy who did the installation has suggested me to remove the ovals and install the same set of components in the rear doors and get them damped too. He said it will increase the sound quality and the door damping will increase the bass output.

Also, he suggests to remove the bass box and install a Polk Audio MM1240 SVC woofer in an A-Trend USA customized box OR install this same woofer in the same bass box that I am using. The total cost of this change is going to be less than Rs 20,000 which suits me. I was looking for the Polk Audio MM1240 DVC woofer but the distributor said it is not available in India. Snap Deal has it though. Strange..!!

However, I wanted to know if this change will make my car audio sound better than it currently is. Please help me guys. This fix is really making me upset now. Should I go ahead with this upgrade or should I leave my car as it is.

I would really appreciate your replies as soon as possible.

Re: Refining the ICE of my Verna Fluidic.. Please Help Guys..

EXISTING AUDIO SETUP:-

-----Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-X8590BT
-----Front Door Components: Polk Audio MM6501
-----Rear Tray Co-axials (6x9): Polk Audio MM691
-----4 Channel Amplifier: Polk Audio PA660.4
-----Mono Channel Amplifier: Polk Audio PA880.1
-----Bass Box in the Car Boot: Polk Audio DXi112
-----Wiring Kits: 2 Pairs of Kicker 4 AWG
Nothing bad with the components.

The front doors are fully damped with Ballastic Damping sheets. The rear plastic tray has been replaced with a wooden (MDF) tray which holds the ovals. The iron tray underneath is properly cut in the shape of the speakers and is completely damped from top and bottom. The entire trunk of the car is also damped, including the lid.
Very nice.

PROBLEM:-

My problem is that I am not able to get the required sound quality. The bass box is not producing a quality bass, it is just thumping without a coordination to the music being played.
Are you referring to BassTube or a sub in some box?? Does your HU has TA?

Also, when I disconnect the bass box, there is absolutely no bass in the car from the speakers. I was hoping to get some good quality sound without the bass box too.
I am assuming that the 4-ch amp is driving them. Could be possible that the installer has LPFed them at a wrong frequency. Also, could be a case of reversed polarity, try switching the terminal wires of the rear speakers, keeping the sub disconnected.

The guy who did the installation has suggested me to remove the ovals and install the same set of components in the rear doors and get them damped too. He said it will increase the sound quality and the door damping will increase the bass output.
Kick him in the nuts, a guy who cant get out bass from 6x9s and that too when amped is certainly a toon.

Also, he suggests to remove the bass box and install a Polk Audio MM1240 SVC woofer in an A-Trend USA customized box OR install this same woofer in the same bass box that I am using. The total cost of this change is going to be less than Rs 20,000 which suits me. I was looking for the Polk Audio MM1240 DVC woofer but the distributor said it is not available in India. Snap Deal has it though. Strange..!!
If you are decided on a change, get a DVC atleast for satisfying the mono. [;)]

However, I wanted to know if this change will make my car audio sound better than it currently is. Please help me guys. This fix is really making me upset now. Should I go ahead with this upgrade or should I leave my car as it is.

I would really appreciate your replies as soon as possible.
Get your system inspected by another installer, could be possible that nothing is wrong, just a case of poor install and lack of installer's knowledge.

Thread Starter #3
Are you referring to BassTube or a sub in some box?? Does your HU has TA?
I currently have DXi 112 BassTube from Polk Audio.. The installer said that I should alter this BassTube by removing the woofer from this original box and put a heavy woofer in it i.e. Polk Audio MM1240.. What is TA..?? I am sorry but i don't know..[confused]

I am assuming that the 4-ch amp is driving them. Could be possible that the installer has LPFed them at a wrong frequency. Also, could be a case of reversed polarity, try switching the terminal wires of the rear speakers, keeping the sub disconnected.
Yes the 4-ch amp is driving them.. I will ask the installer to check with the LPF settings and the polarity..

If you are decided on a change, get a DVC atleast for satisfying the mono. [;)]
I have been told by the distributor here that the MM1240 DVC is not available in India even though it is printed in their catalog. This is very strange as the same sub is available on Snapdeal. I also called up Tekstar Global Pvt. Ltd. in Gurgaon. He said that there absolutely no difference in the SVC and DVC and that I will have to wait for 15 days to get the DVC.

However, I wanted to ask you that if company fitted BassTube is better or should put a woofer in a box. A company called A-Trend USA is providing woofer boxes here in Chandigarh. The installer also said that I could use the same box of the BassTube with the woofer of my choice in it.

Get your system inspected by another installer, could be possible that nothing is wrong, just a case of poor install and lack of installer's knowledge.
I agree with what you say. But the problem is that I live in Chandigarh and the installation has been done by SK Motors. I don't think that there is a better installer here in our city.

Also, please advice if I should stick with the ovals or should get components in the rear doors instead.

I currently have DXi 112 BassTube from Polk Audio.. The installer said that I should alter this BassTube by removing the woofer from this original box and put a heavy woofer in it i.e. Polk Audio MM1240.. What is TA..?? I am sorry but i don't know..[confused]

A basstube shall never be as acoustic as a sub. If you wish to have a tight bass, get a DVC in a sealed box. If needed a bit more boom then in a ported enclosure.

Yes the 4-ch amp is driving them.. I will ask the installer to check with the LPF settings and the polarity..

This could be a very probable reason.

I have been told by the distributor here that the MM1240 DVC is not available in India even though it is printed in their catalog. This is very strange as the same sub is available on Snapdeal. I also called up Tekstar Global Pvt. Ltd. in Gurgaon. He said that there absolutely no difference in the SVC and DVC and that I will have to wait for 15 days to get the DVC.

Get a DVC from other brands man, RF, Pio, JL all are wonderful.

However, I wanted to ask you that if company fitted BassTube is better or should put a woofer in a box. A company called A-Trend USA is providing woofer boxes here in Chandigarh. The installer also said that I could use the same box of the BassTube with the woofer of my choice in it.

Bass tubes can never be as fine as a SUB. Go for a sub instead of a Tube.

I agree with what you say. But the problem is that I live in Chandigarh and the installation has been done by SK Motors. I don't think that there is a better installer here in our city.

Also, please advice if I should stick with the ovals or should get components in the rear doors instead.
Either is fine, just curious, your rear doors had provision for ovals or you just fitted them with some mods.

TA is time alignment a very imp feature that can help a lot is configuring an effective sound reproduction. If your HU doesn't has this then you have less to worry about. [;)]

Thread Starter #5
Either is fine, just curious, your rear doors had provision for ovals or you just fitted them with some mods.
The ovals are fitted in the rear tray. I got the plastic tray removed got a wooden MDF tray instead to hold the ovals. The area is properly damped and iron underneath is cut in an oval shape. But the installer is laying stress on getting the comps in the rear doors that do have a provision for them. The ovals wont fit in there.

TA is time alignment a very imp feature that can help a lot is configuring an effective sound reproduction. If your HU doesn't has this then you have less to worry about.
I don't know if it has TA.. But it surely does have an Auto EQ setting. The HU came with a mic kind of thing to set up the Auto EQ. Should I try that..??

The ovals are fitted in the rear tray. I got the plastic tray removed got a wooden MDF tray instead to hold the ovals. The area is properly damped and iron underneath is cut in an oval shape. But the installer is laying stress on getting the comps in the rear doors that do have a provision for them. The ovals wont fit in there.
If most of the time it would be you or ax 2 ppl in the car then no need to spend on rear components. co-axes are just fine.

I don't know if it has TA.. But it surely does have an Auto EQ setting. The HU came with a mic kind of thing to set up the Auto EQ. Should I try that..??
Turn all the EQ to flat, turn all bass enhancements to nil. Now play your songs and then one by one adjust the EQ starting with the higher freq. first.

Good Morning Amneet Ahluwalia,

You have pretty impressive setup in your car buddy. As far as price is considered the install should have cost you around 1lakh. And after spending this much when you don't get the desired SQ then it's something you seriously need to look into.

My first question - Why all products are from Polk? Didn't you consider other brands like Rainbow, Gladen or Hertz?

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-X8590BT

Excellent SQ HU from Pioneer. Doesn't have TA but you don't need TA and it's for audiophiles who require the best possible SQ that can be created. Even without TA your setup should have very high SQ levels.

Front Door Components: Polk Audio MM6501

Very powerful Component with 125w RMS rating. I don't think MM6501 has anything thing to do with low SQ in your setup

Co-axials (6x9): Polk Audio MM691

Again one of the most powerful 6X9 coaxials out there with 125w RMS rating. I don't think MM691 has anything thing to do with low SQ or bass in your setup. It should actually produce some mind blowing bass. I am quite amazed that you don't even find any bass from these speakers. My car has DB6501 components in rear and it puts out lots of bass. Heck when my rca cable to my amp which gets connected to subwoofer got disconnected it took me close to 2hrs of listening to notice a small amount of bass reduction from my setup as subwoofer was not working. So your speakers should ideally produce lots and lots of bass.

4 Channel Amplifier: Polk Audio PA660.4

A bit underpowered for you setup. 75w RMS X 4 at 4ohm and both your speakers are rated at 125w RMS . Wiring them at 2ohm load won't do much help i guess at i has only 85w RMS X 4 at 2ohm rating. Infinity kappa 4 with 125w RMS X 4 would have been a perfect match. But i don't think this amp is cause of low SQ and bass in your setup. After all its a class A/B amplifier so should ideally produce a bit more than rated power.

Mono Channel Amplifier: Polk Audio PA880.1

A very powerful monoblock amplifier. You have invested in such a good amplifier which has 500w RMS at 2ohm and 800w RMS at 1ohm (dynamically). As your subwoofer is rated at 360w RMS at 4ohm i am assuming your monoblock is wired at 4ohm load now and produces around 300w RMS. IMHO monoblock are quite crappy to hear at 4ohm load. Its always better to wire monoblocks at 2ohm or the best is to wire them at 1ohm load.

Polk Audio DXi112

Throw these away immediately. I am sure this subwoofer in a basstube is the major cause for low SQ in your setup. Get 2 Infinity Kappa 120.9w 12" subwoofers and wire them to 2ohm or better 1ohm load. Also you a sealed box. You should have tigh fast punch. 120.9w is one of the best SQ subs around and should cost you 15k for 2 subwoofers.

Wiring Kits: 2 Pairs of Kicker 4 AWG

Nothing to worry but seeing installers stupid advice of replacing a powerful 6X9 with components i suggest checking the grounding of amps and also a general installation of overall install too if possible. Also a 1 farad capacitor is advisable if monoblock is wired under 2ohm load.

Hope this help.[;)]

Regards,
Sankar

Top Bottom