Recommendations for Reliable External Hard Disk

WD any day better than Sea gate, i watch movies on my Samsung LED TV, with Seagate(of my cousin) the movies used to struck in between.
But with WD it seamlessly plays without interruption.
Accessing time is faster in WD.

That was the deciding factor for me to go for WD.

Look for USB 3.0 version minimum.
Most computers don't even have a usb 3.0 port. I am 99.99% certain that movies getting stuck had nothing to do with the hard-drive, rather a weak graphic card, processor, memory or low front side bus speed or I/O chipset. Did you try the two disks on the same system with the same movie file.

Besides no offence but I found the USB 3.0 minimum very funny as there currently is no USB specification higher than 3.0.

Also when it comes to computer parts, you cannot say WD had faster access time than Seagate. Nor can you say Intel is better than AMD. You need to compare specific models like Seagate XXXX vs WD YYYY. Also you get what you purchase, look at the speed specifications of the drive.

Also when it comes to computer parts, you cannot say WD had faster access time than Seagate. Nor can you say Intel is better than AMD. You need to compare specific models like Seagate XXXX vs WD YYYY. Also you get what you purchase, look at the speed specifications of the drive.
Same with gfx cards. Most people think nVidia is better than ATi, one even said his 9500GT is better than my HD6850. [frustration]

Same with gfx cards. Most people think nVidia is better than ATi, one even said his 9500GT is better than my HD6850. [frustration]
The "is better than" factor is really vague for most things. E.g. True the HD6850 had better performance than a 9500GT in most games but there are certain specific details that can make 9500GT a better choice for certain usage scenarios.

People do so many wrong things concerning computers like looking for number of cores and cpu clock speed, looking at graphic card memory only, looking at RAM size instead of speed ... the list is endless.

Most computers don't even have a usb 3.0 port. I am 99.99% certain that movies getting stuck had nothing to do with the hard-drive, rather a weak graphic card, processor, memory or low front side bus speed or I/O chipset. Did you try the two disks on the same system with the same movie file.

Besides no offence but I found the USB 3.0 minimum very funny as there currently is no USB specification higher than 3.0.

I am not posting here based on assumptions, what i faced have reported the same.

The model i am having is My Passport Essential
There is drastic speed change in the amount of data one can transfer parallely into the drive.

I am not speaking of graphics card here.

The necessity was to plug and play HD movies.
Which plays well in my case.
There is no need to invest in a Bluray player.[;)]

The "is better than" factor is really vague for most things. E.g. True the HD6850 had better performance than a 9500GT in most games but there are certain specific details that can make 9500GT a better choice for certain usage scenarios.
But there was no way he could be talking about that. He meant its better as its nvidia. :-/

Anyways, we're offtopic.

I am not posting here based on assumptions, what i faced have reported the same.

The model i am having is My Passport Essential
There is drastic speed change in the amount of data one can transfer parallely into the drive.

I am not speaking of graphics card here.

The necessity was to plug and play HD movies.
Which plays well in my case.
There is no need to invest in a Bluray player.[;)]
What was the segate model? As a software developer I find it impossible that a modern segate drive can cause videos to lag. Did you use both the segate and WD drive on the same computer? Besides, a significant amount of video is copied into RAM and played from there and is not transferred directly from HDD to processor and video card.

So normally the factors that can cause bad playback is

1) Slow processor
2) Slow chipset
3) Memory speed is slow or capacity very little
4) No video decoding features on GPU (Graphics processing unit)

What I didn't like is that your post asserted that segate was rubbish and should never be bought. It wasn't a very professional way to compare hardware. Besides what model was the segate?

To test your claim, you need to copy the same movie on both drives using the same filesystem (research about filesystems e.g NTFS, FAT EXT4) and play it with the same video player under the same settings on the same computer. Also Windows features like indexing should be off (or equivalent features in other OS's like Mac OS X and Linux) as they may make one HDD slower if it has more unindexed files.

Grammar tip: continuous tense is not used liked that ... e.g The model that I have not the model I am having

and some other stuff

Last edited:
Of all the posts i have been mentioning that i was speaking in reference to my Samsung HDTV, not a PC.

The fact that you are not understanding what i am trying to say.
I use Gerunds in my sentence formations.
Any way, thanks for the tip, no matter how much one learns there is always a scope for improvement.[:)]

About the hard disk, i am tired of conveying[roll].

Buy whichever you like, there is no force that all should go for the same brand.

I am shouting loud, Western digital is serving me well.

Once my Seagate hard disk crashed 3-4 years back and it took me more than a month to get the replacement. They replaced the 200GB HDD with 250 GB HDD with some additional charges.

I think WD give home service and even though Seagate has been mostly trouble free, my preference would go for WD over other brands.

Thread Starter #39

350Z

Core Team
I have finalized Western Digital Elements 500GB External Hard Disk. It costs Rs.3825 from Flipkart and Rs.3723 from Infibeam but it’s out of stock at Infibeam.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I have finalized Western Digital Elements 500GB External Hard Disk. It costs Rs.3825 from Flipkart and Rs.3723 from Infibeam but it’s out of stock at Infibeam.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Prices are still high? [surprise]
I had got my 500GB 1.5 years ago for 1k!

Thread Starter #41

350Z

Core Team
Prices are still high? I had got my 500GB 1.5 years ago for 1k!
Which brand? It doesn’t look that prices will drop again to that extent. Flipkart was offering the same HDD for Rs.2980 in 2011 though.

Drive Safe,
350Z

i think the one 350Z has chosen has USB 3.0 and high transfer speeds.

Username: i have a feeling maybe you dont have these hence the cheaper price.

Top Bottom