Rebore Old Engine or Purchase New Sub-assembly?

Thread Starter #1
which is better reboring old engine or purchasing engine subassembly
obviously sub assembly will be costlier but does it have any other benefits than a rebore done by an expert lathe works

Re: which is better reboring an old engine or purchasing engine subassembly

Yes. It does. It will allow you to run the stoc piston size rather than runing oversize. Also most liners will handle only one rebore. A half engine will let you rebore it next time.

1) Stock piston & Rings can be used
2) Time saving
3) You may get warranty (not sure - could some one pls throw light on this?)
4) Better life - Rebored one loses its mechanical property
5) If the old engine was repaired earlier (opening the head, say some 3~5 times) there are possibilities of thread damage (this is my personal experience on my friends M800 engine) which you can avoid on new sub-assy.

Useful tips here from all. I suppose a sub assembly is best installed at an authorised service centre.

My 800 engine block cracked in two just after it came out of a Maruti Authorised Service! Got it resurrected at home, with an in house mechanic using a second hand engine block. Of course, it's got terrible wheezing and arthritic when starting up.

Am considering a selective overhaul so that my wife can continue to use it as a city runabout: engine overhaul, suspension overhaul (maybe just a change of front shocks and rear suspension) and some underbody patchwork.

Can somebody recommend a good place to get it done in Chennai? Either authorised or private multi-brand garage?

I have read a banner on a MASS to get the half engine replacement in 13k.Its a genuine maruti replacement, you can give the A.S.S a call. The one where i saw this was MyCar Wakad, Pune.

Top Bottom