Rear Wiper & Washer in My Maruti Alto

Thread Starter #121
@devil

Is this the relay you actually meant? where should I get these normally? accessories shop or spare parts shop?. BTW what is the use of other 5 pin relay (which I brought?)

changeover.JPG

deville_56

Honoured Member
@devil

Is this the relay you actually meant? where should I get these normally? accessories shop or spare parts shop?. BTW what is the use of other 5 pin relay (which I brought?)

View attachment 164255
This is the one. Mostly spare shops, sometimes in accessory shop. If you are back in Trivandrum, check Bosch (Govind Auto) in Sreekaryam opposite Spencer's. Friend bought one a couple of days back from there.

The other relay looks like feeding supply to 2 different outputs, maybe dual horn. But never seen or heard such a thing.

Thread Starter #123
I got that from a shop @Vetturoad. It is a roots made one, good shop for the thing like this. I will check the same and update here the results. BTW by using this relay, current always goes to the park wire as it is taken from the ACC. Even It will work only once but passing current to the motor all the time will make any harm?

I got that relay from a Roots dealer @Vetturoad. I will try this weekend and update the result.

I have a doubt. By using this relay, when the switch is off, current will direct to park wire. Even motor will work only once, but the current passing on the wire all the times if the key is on. Is this make any harm to the motor?

Varun confirms it will not but I would like to know the reason. Is there any setup on motor to prevent this?

Last edited by a moderator:

deville_56

Honoured Member
Varun confirms it will not but I would like to know the reason. Is there any setup on motor to prevent this?
As per the schematics, it will disable once reaching park position. Looks like a notch in the contact right at the park position, so that contact is cut off when reaching park. Purely mechanical. Need to open up some wiper motor to see how it works [evil]

Picture Source.
Catalog Catalogue Fourthgen Automotive Products Relays Diesel Engine Heating Auto parts
The ECR1 models is very much like the Indic's wiper control unit with a few changes in the pin assignments. Refer to the attached picture for the Indica's wiper relay pin configuration.

Put a 64K pot to between INT output from the combi switch & 31b of wiper controller to adjust the duration (2 - 15 seconds) between consecutive wipes. Such resistors are separately available for Sumo & Trucks. You can you them directly.

Attachments

Thread Starter #126
DIY was successful. I am happy :) thank you devil, and one more help. please draw a 4 pin diagram I need to take a connection from front wiper and reverse light to the main relay switch input. I knew you got my point [clap]

deville_56

Honoured Member
DIY was successful. I am happy :) thank you devil, and one more help. please draw a 4 pin diagram I need to take a connection from front wiper and reverse light to the main relay switch input. I knew you got my point [clap]
When wiper is running and when car is reversing you need the rear wiper running automatically without switching it on, right??

Thread Starter #128
Yes![clap]. and about intermittent function, seems it cannot be done with a flasher relay. because If I fit a flasher relay in between wiper motor and switch and while pressing the wipe and wash switch, wiper not work accordingly with washer motor. So I dropped that plan :)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #131
How about a four pin relay. instead of direct power (30) taking from wiper on (front) and other from reverse light, ground and to rear wiper relay? is that enough to work this logic?

is Diodes really needed?

How about a four pin relay. instead of direct power (30) taking from wiper on (front) and other from reverse light, ground and to rear wiper relay? is that enough to work this logic? is Diodes really needed?
IMO diodes are not required, as relay itself blocks any possible reverse current flow.
Can't we achieve the same with a DPST (Double Pole Single Throw) switch and a 4pin relay as in Fig1 below?.

1 - Copy.png

If a DPST switch is not available you can do it with the relay alone. Disadvantage here is relay will unnecessarily pickup every time you put the reverse
gear even when there is no rain. Refer Fig2. In both the cases you need to replace the front wiper fuse with a higher (double) rated one.
1.png

You may also use the 5-pin relay you have for this purpose by leaving 1 pin (87a NC contact) unused. 1,2,3,4 terminals in the figure represents 85,86,30,87 pins respectively.

Last edited:

deville_56

Honoured Member
Nice schematic Deville. But do you really need the diodes.
Without the 2 diodes the relay still ensures the same operational conditions, right? Please clarify my doubt.
Diodes not must and not at all required, but got the habit of adding them to make sure nothing goes wrong [:D]

How about a four pin relay. instead of direct power (30) taking from wiper on (front) and other from reverse light, ground and to rear wiper relay? is that enough to work this logic?
Didn't get the point.

Can't we achieve the same with a DPST (Double Pole Single Throw) switch and a 4pin relay as in Fig1 below?.

View attachment 164715

If a DPST switch is not available you can do it with the relay alone. Disadvantage here is relay will unnecessarily pickup every time you put the reverse
gear even when there is no rain. Refer Fig2. In both the cases you need to replace the front wiper fuse with a higher (double) rated one.
View attachment 164716

You may also use the 5-pin relay you have for this purpose by leaving 1 pin (87a NC contact) unused. 1,2,3,4 terminals in the figure represents 85,86,30,87 pins respectively.
The original idea was to get everything automated without adding any extra switch.

One fine day, Rakesh driving in rain with front wiper running and sudddenly he want to reverse, puts the reverse gear, tada the rear wiper working automatically [lol] This was his idea [evil]

This was a rough 2 minute schematic without any second thoughts, open for finessing.

One fine day, Rakesh driving in rain with front wiper running and sudddenly he want to reverse, puts the reverse gear, tada the rear wiper working automatically. This was his idea
Simply remove the switch from the diagram.Thats all!. But what if his rear glass is full of dust and some leaves are stuck to the wiper blade. How he will turn it off before it makes any hard streaks?[;)].

Top Bottom