Re-Register BS-III Car in Kolkata. Help!

Thread Starter #1
I hope you can help me clear some doubts.

I have recently shifted permanently from Pune to Kolkata. I own a Maruti WagonR (2008 model) which is registered at Pune RTO. Now I want to bring my car to Kolkata for my personal use and subsequently re-register it with Kolkata RTO, pay Road Tax etc. I have spoken to someone at AAEI here and they say that since my car is BS III it is not possible to re-register it in Kolkata. Is that true? I thought that rule only applied to registration of new cars.

If re-registration is not possible, then am I legally allowed to retain my Pune registration number and drive around in Kolkata?

Can I pay the Life Time Tax in Kolkata, and retain my Pune registration number?

I'm quite confused because my car is just 5 years old!

Kindly help me out with this problem.

I hope you can help me clear some doubts.

I have recently shifted permanently from Pune to Kolkata. I own a Maruti WagonR (2008 model) which is registered at Pune RTO. Now I want to bring my car to Kolkata for my personal use and subsequently re-register it with Kolkata RTO, pay Road Tax etc. I have spoken to someone at AAEI here and they say that since my car is BS III it is not possible to re-register it in Kolkata. Is that true? I thought that rule only applied to registration of new cars.

If re-registration is not possible, then am I legally allowed to retain my Pune registration number and drive around in Kolkata?

Can I pay the Life Time Tax in Kolkata, and retain my Pune registration number?

I'm quite confused because my car is just 5 years old!

Kindly help me out with this problem.
Why didn't you contact Kolkata RTO office at Beltola. Meet any officer there. Do not fall in the hands of touts.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is my plan once this Eid weekend gets over. I've also got a contact in the Alipore RTO who can at least guide me in this matter. Don't think I can register at that RTO because, I think their area is 24 Parganas (south).

It would be really surreal if I can't re-register my five-year old car due to emission norms, while cabbies are polluting the city with impunity.

I think AAEI is correct. The same rule applies to Delhi and Mumbai as well.

I do not know where you stay, but I think you can get it re-registered in Barasat(WB26), Barrackpore(WB24), Hooghly(WB16/18) RTOs which are outside KMA.

Get an agent/driving school to handle the issue, they can do it smoothly with proper paperwork.

Thread Starter #6
I think AAEI is correct. The same rule applies to Delhi and Mumbai as well.

I do not know where you stay, but I think you can get it re-registered in Barasat(WB26), Barrackpore(WB24), Hooghly(WB16/18) RTOs which are outside KMA.

Get an agent/driving school to handle the issue, they can do it smoothly with proper paperwork.
Thanks for replying.
I was planning to go to a driving school too. But since I live at Park Circus (my address proof) won't it be problematic to register it at Barasat, Barrackpore or Hooghly?

Thread Starter #7
Just wanted to know if it is possible for me to drive my MH registered car in Kolkata without re-registering?

Can I pay the Lifetime Tax or One Time Tax and drive around without getting hassled by the police?

Thread Starter #8
Just thought I'll give an update to my original query. I went to Beltala RTO and spoke to 3 different officers about my problem. They said under Beltala jurisdiction, they absolutely do not re-register BSIII vehicles. Just to be sure, I also spoke to 4 touts. They said the same thing too.

So it seems I will have to sell my car in Pune and then buy another one in Kolkata. Some rules just do not make sense.

@Freefall72 I am also in the same situation as you were in. I need to re-regiater my bike in Kolkata, got all other paper work done (NOC) but Salt Lake rto refusing to register as it's BS III model. Any suggestions for me ? I don't want to sell it [confused]

Top Bottom