Rattling Sources and Solutions

I have an i10 kappa1. There is a classic "HYUNDAI" steering rattle noise in all i10's and i20's. This is actually a design flaw. Hyundai doesnt have a permanant solution for this problem.
To make the steering ultralight using EPS, they have kept the joint of rack and steering column loose. In India, due to our road condition there is a kat kat noise.

I had written a strong letter to Hyundai CEO, but in vain. Apart from this rattle, there is a sound from antenna. Hence in Kappa2 they have given short antenna.

I do understand that every car has some niggles. However they should be restricted to niggles and not design flaws.

I have an i10 kappa1. There is a classic "HYUNDAI" steering rattle noise in all i10's and i20's. This is actually a design flaw. Hyundai doesnt have a permanant solution for this problem.
To make the steering ultralight using EPS, they have kept the joint of rack and steering column loose. In India, due to our road condition there is a kat kat noise.

I had written a strong letter to Hyundai CEO, but in vain. Apart from this rattle, there is a sound from antenna. Hence in Kappa2 they have given short antenna.

I do understand that every car has some niggles. However they should be restricted to niggles and not design flaws.
Amit, is it possible for you to describe this noise in some way. I'm getting a noise in my Kappa on some rough roads but not sure if it's the steering column.

Can you let me know which type of roads, which area of the car the sound seems to be coming from and what kind of a noise ?

Sure. Do this on a bad road.

Drive your car @20-25kms/hr speed and see if you get dar/kat dar dar kat kind of noise. If you get this noise, its 100% "STEERING RATTLE" noise.Mind well, it comes only on bad roads and comes from right side as if its somewhere under the steering wheel.

Important Note -- Do not go to service center and ask them to fix this. Hyundai "DOES NOT" have a solution to this problem. They will only play around your car.

350Z

Core Team
What kind of rattling you hear in your car,what can be its reason and what could be the solution?
There are many reasons because of which rattling can normally occur. For the solution, it depends on what exactly is causing it because some can be solved and some cannot be. As per my observation, some of the most common locations in a car that could normally cause rattling is: An improperly / shut or loose glove box lid, rear bench, spare wheel and other improperly attached tools in the boot etc. And well, if I begin to write about rattles and squeaks in Maruti cars, the list will be perhaps too long. I remember reading an article sometime ago that listed the causes and reasons of different kind of unusual noises in a car. It was very useful but not sure where I read that. I will definitely post if I stumble upon anything like that again.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Correct observation Vibhor. Areas listed by you are indeed the starting point of rattles. However in my case, I was really put off due to steering rattle and the funniest part is hyundai people go deaf and dumb as if they dont know this issue.

And believe me, I can live with rattles if they are not a safety concern. But this steering rattle leads to failure of EPS in more than 60% of cases.

Which unfortunately I discovered after purchasing my car.

Few tips am following with my car for general rattling -

a) Avoid bad roads where ever possible
b) Drive with caution and maintain low speed on bad roads where you cant avoid
c) Avoid crossing over pot holes at high speeds
d) Once in a while, switch off the music system, roll up the windows, switch on the AC and drive for about 2-3 kms at different speeds. Carefully observe the rattling points and nature of rattling sounds. Do this activity when you are driving alone. This helps you to keep a check on rattling
e) At every service insist that the car be checked for rattling noise even if there is no issue.

My car is 2.5 yrs old and @20k on the odo. Till date (touch wood) there has been no case of rattling issues with my car [:)]

Enjoy rattle free drive [thumbsup][drive]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Today my i10 started showing little rattles like in the channel of seat belt. I guess, its from the cylinder shaped thing containing the role of the belt below the seat. But no steering rattle! Also i dont think i should ask the A.S.S to check as the will say some foolish and unrealistic reason and my car would get even worst then now it is. So i dont think that unneccessorily going to A.S.S is a wise idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even after having two subwoofers in my boot my Verna does not produce any rattles or squeaks till date!

And my Aria its a whole new world , absolutely rattle free even better than my Verna!

Re: Does Your Maruti Suzuki Car Rattles?

Friends,

My zen estilo 3+years old rattles during initial period of starting. There is a sound link "chan chan" for some time or for few kms and after that it subsides on it own. Sound comes from the engine bay or under the steering and AC area. Please refer to the picture attached below.

What could be the problem ?

* Picture sourced from internet site.[:)]

I also keep coins in the ash tray but even after removing everything from there sound is coming.

Attachments

Last edited:

What happened no one know the reason or source of the sound ? Come on friends help me in it.
The area behind the dashboard is most prone to hard-to-detect rattles. I can think of a loose air-con vent, a wire bunch or maybe loose dashboard itself. If the sound is not too much or not too irritating than I'll suggest to leave it as it is cos eradicating the rattle might require taking off the entire dashboard which might induce new rattles all together.

For starters, try one thing, lie down under the dash and ask someone to make the car bounce by pushing down at shockers and see if you see any moving parts.

Next you can remove the headunit and try to see as far as possible into the dash.

freakdude.

Can the thread be renamed as Does your car rattle instead of Maruti Suzuki? I believe Hyundai cars also rattle after a few years of usage.

I also face this rattling problem but mainly after the ICE'ing works i did on my car , previously it was perfect![frustration]

To start off , my whole dashboard and HU itself vibrates and rattles now when in idle as the HU is not a direct tight fit to the dashboard.

Next as Akash said , my parcel tray produces the same vibrations due to the speakers. Tightening the screws can solve them , not yet done though.

Next , both my ORVM'S rattle when at idle! Thanks to the other friendly users on our roads who try to squeeze through every gap possible. Also add to it , Verna probably has the widest ORVM in this segment![frustration]

actually something currently is rattling in the Civic too. will have to get that checked. its somewhere in the back left corner.

Can the thread be renamed as Does your car rattle instead of Maruti Suzuki? I believe Hyundai cars also rattle after a few years of usage
+ 1, people can share about other manufacturers' rattling issues as well and seek solutions. It would be informative also [thumbsup]

Top Bottom