Rat Smell Inside My Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi all.
Greetings of the day.
3 days ago I faced a serious problem in the morning when I opened my car. I found a very bad smell inside and observed that blower vents above the ac vent at both side of dashboard has been cutted by rat. Also foud a dead rat over the top of rear seat.[lol]

Being very upset I throw away the rat body and thoroughly washed the inside of the car with a cotton swab soaked with dettol + water. In the afternoon, rushed to Bhandari Automobile (my nearest MASS). They washed, cleaned the car and inspect AC filter, vents and every possible location to detect the entry point of rat inside, but found AC filter intact and nothing in the duct. All the wires was fine and without any mark. The MASS mechanics suspected that the rat may enter into the car from opened door!!!

Now, everytime when I opened the car get a foul smell for a while and then it seems normal. No odour is found when run the AC.

Can anyone please help me to advice, how I shall make my car free from any smell and how I shall fully sanitize the inside of my car.

Your valued opinions are highly solicited

Yours truely.

Re: Rat smell inside my car.

Hi all.
Greetings of the day.
3 days ago I faced a serious problem in the morning when I opened my car. I found a very bad smell inside and observed that blower vents above the ac vent at both side of dashboard has been cutted by rat. Also foud a dead rat over the top of rear seat.[lol]

Being very upset I throw away the rat body and thoroughly washed the inside of the car with a cotton swab soaked with dettol + water. In the afternoon, rushed to Bhandari Automobile (my nearest MASS). They washed, cleaned the car and inspect AC filter, vents and every possible location to detect the entry point of rat inside, but found AC filter intact and nothing in the duct. All the wires was fine and without any mark. The MASS mechanics suspected that the rat may enter into the car from opened door!!!

Now, everytime when I opened the car get a foul smell for a while and then it seems normal. No odour is found when run the AC.

Can anyone please help me to advice, how I shall make my car free from any smell and how I shall fully sanitize the inside of my car.

Yours truely.
truly it is worrying when a rat has entered the car [cry]ask me how [frustration]The rats pass a lot of urine along the path of trail.YOU havent mentioned which car You own .Personally in my M800 i removed the entire floor mats,removed the drain plugs in the floor and washed with warm water and detergent the entire floor area of the car.Next i washed the entire carpet again after soaking in the detergent water using strong washing soda and was able to get rid of the smell eventually.For me since was an M800 taking off and putting back the floor carpet was an easy affair. Dont know about your car .

Thread Starter #3

truly it is worrying when a rat has entered the car [cry]ask me how [frustration]The rats pass a lot of urine along the path of trail.YOU havent mentioned which car You own .Personally in my M800 i removed the entire floor mats,removed the drain plugs in the floor and washed with warm water and detergent the entire floor area of the car.Next i washed the entire carpet again after soaking in the detergent water using strong washing soda and was able to get rid of the smell eventually.For me since was an M800 taking off and putting back the floor carpet was an easy affair. Dont know about your car .
Thanks Drivenight for your valued opinion. My car is Maruti Ertiga vxi 2016. Since floor carpet is attached firmly with the car floor, it is difficult to remove and wash. Please suggest me what should I do? [confused] I am very much anxious about this matter.

Last edited:

Hi all.
Greetings of the day.

Yours truely.
Hi ABandy,
The source of entry for the rat has to be thoroughly inspected in your car.
Its strange that a rat can enter and die also inside, did this happen overnight or after you kept the car parked for few days?
There is a Anti-Rat treatment by 3M which is worth and a must have for all who have open parkings.
Also take the interior cleaning and disinfecting services from 3M or similar and keep a tab on the entire process.

Just get the interiors washed/dry cleaned properly. Regarding smell, use a pouch of activated charcoal and place in the suitable place.

I was also at MASS to investigate the route of entry.They told me that all routes are closed [lol]then how on earth did it get in .So one Sunday afternoon i got into investigation and found rubber grommets on the inside of the running board of the front passenger side missing .Immediately checked the rear side and one was missing there also .First i replaced them .Then went into the engine bay and looked into the fresh air intake near the cowl on the left side for my M800 and saw that there was no barrier for entry of insects /rodents .Immediately opened the access to the cowl and placed metal chiken-wire mesh and closed the access plate.Now so far never had a rat break in to my car .I am sure that was the route of entry into the car.The MASS are not so keen to kind a solution to the problem and mine being M800 was like a push-away.
The next time i passed through the MASS I "educated" them as to how to resolve customer issue no matter how small the car or problem was rather than just pushing aside them as trivial.
Also i make it a point to avoid having food /store food in the car .I clean the car interiors thoroughly as soon as we are back from a road trip to avoid inviting the pesky rodents

Just get the interiors washed/dry cleaned properly. Regarding smell, use a pouch of activated charcoal and place in the suitable place.
Yes also I have heard of ozone generators and their use in removing car interior malodors .But wonder if its available with 3M centres here

I was also at MASS to investigate the route of entry.They told me that all routes are closed [lol]then how on earth did it get in .So one Sunday afternoon i got into investigation and found rubber grommets on the inside of the running board of the front passenger side missing .Immediately checked the rear side and one was missing there also .First i replaced them .Then went into the engine bay and looked into the fresh air intake near the cowl on the left side for my M800 and saw that there was no barrier for entry of insects /rodents .Immediately opened the access to the cowl and placed metal chiken-wire mesh and closed the access plate.Now so far never had a rat break in to my car .I am sure that was the route of entry into the car.The MASS are not so keen to kind a solution to the problem and mine being M800 was like a push-away.
The next time i passed through the MASS I "educated" them as to how to resolve customer issue no matter how small the car or problem was rather than just pushing aside them as trivial.
Also i make it a point to avoid having food /store food in the car .I clean the car interiors thoroughly as soon as we are back from a road trip to avoid inviting the pesky rodents
How careless on behalf of MASS[frustration]
Good you trained them about the issue, hope they solve other customers issue in future.

Thread Starter #9
Hi ABandy,
The source of entry for the rat has to be thoroughly inspected in your car.
Its strange that a rat can enter and die also inside, did this happen overnight or after you kept the car parked for few days?
There is a Anti-Rat treatment by 3M which is worth and a must have for all who have open parkings.
Also take the interior cleaning and disinfecting services from 3M or similar and keep a tab on the entire process.
Thanks SilverEyez for your valued advice. The entire episode [frustration] happened within 36 hour. When I opened the car after 36 hours of last use, found very foul smell inside and also blower vents in pieces. Rat urine was everywhere i.e. over dashboard, sits, floor mats, arm rests..

3M service probably not available in Kolkata/ West Bengal, I am in search of any other service to disinfect the inside of my car.

Thanks again for your valued advice.

Get a through steam wash of the inside by 3M or equivalent, including the seats door pads. Afterwards spray an anti urine spray on carpet, you can get online, it's used by house pets owner.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/review/B003XLEH6Q/R2A248ULSNQOM7/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_rvw_1?ie=UTF8&cursor=1

Try it this might work.
Thanks Nanofreak for your wise advice. I have already ordered anti urine spray at amazon.com. Waiting for the delivery.....

Thanks again for help.

Thanks Driveright for sharing your experience. I think the same thing has happened with my car. Due to very workload [anger] I cant thoroughly inspect my car and yet to find out the exact entry point of the rodent. Though, the urine smell has reduced, still I am worried about the hygine point of view inside the car[lol]. Thanks again for your valued advice and looking forward to learn about disinfecting inside any car.

Thanks Freakdude for your valued advice. Do you have any idea about inside washing / dry cleaning at home, since I have already visited MASS but there is still a faint foul odour inside. From which type shop I can get activated charcole?

Your advice is highly solicited.

IMG-20180712-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20180712-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20180712-WA0022.jpg

Very aggressive little rat .it has chewed up the plastic in so many places [anger].. definitely it has come in through the fresh air intake area in the firewall .please do check and take action to prevent future attacks

Thanks Freakdude for your valued advice. Do you have any idea about inside washing / dry cleaning at home, since I have already visited MASS but there is still a faint foul odour inside. From which type shop I can get activated charcole?

Your advice is highly solicited.
Happy to help buddy!!! Just check if Urban Clap provides service in your area. If yes, look for car dry cleaners on their listings. Alternately, look for non-company car service stations to see if they provide such cleaning services.

@ABandy, after doing all the tasks suggested by members, please do also keep a small "OM" in your car because besides rats something is wrong.
Hope you already have a small idol of kalimaa in your car, if not please do have it soonest.

Thread Starter #13
@ABandy, after doing all the tasks suggested by members, please do also keep a small "OM" in your car because besides rats something is wrong.
Hope you already have a small idol of kalimaa in your car, if not please do have it soonest.
My car already have flying Jai Hanumanji from the rear view mirror and Jai Jagannath & Jai Sri Krishna over the dashboard. Thanks for your opinion. [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Top Bottom