Quick Monsoon Car Care Guide & Tips To Drive Through Flooded Roads

Re: Quick Monsoon Car Maintenance Guide & Tips to drive through flooded roads

Thanks for the nice article Akash. Love the look of your 'weeping fog lamp' Alto.

Here are a few jugaad (ingenious/improvised) suggestions that I could think of:

1. Take a cigarette and rub its tobacco part on the windscreen. Rainwater would slip down faster. No need of buying expensive Harry Potter potions.

2. Clean the wiper blades with white vinegar. They will last longer, won't scratch the screen, and clean more effectively.

3. Keep some old newspaper pages inside the car. Spread them in the footwell before you enter the car with wet boots. Will go a long way in avoiding mustiness. Not to mention throw the wet pages immediately after the drive and replace with dry ones.

4. Most people don't know this but clogged/misdirecting windshield wiper spray nozzles could be easily set right with a needle. Put the sharp end of the needle inside the spray nozzle to unclog it and move it up/down/left/right/diagonal to set the angle of spray. Takes 2 minutes and zero rupees.

5. If the gear shift lever is sticking to the palm, just spray it with a household cleaner like Colin and wipe it with a dry cloth.

6. The silver foil inside a cigarette wrapper could be used to complete a circuit in case of an emergency when you encounter a blown fuse. Not advisable for noobs.

7. After you have come back from a drive, wash the wheels/tyres immediately before the muck on them dries up. In some vehicles like the Safari, the weight of dried up muck that is stuck on the wheels can cause the wheels to get out of alignment. Funny but true.

8. Demist the car before parking it for the day. This will go a long way in ensuring zero mustiness inside the car.

9. Never use grease to lubricate the battery terminals. Use petroleum jelly

10. NEVER crank your car/motorcycle if it has stopped while fording through water AND if the exhaust is submerged under water. Cranking at this stage would suck the water through your exhaust and shove it inside your engine innards, practically rendering your car useless

11. Keep visiting this thread for more tips :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Quick Monsoon Car Maintenance Guide & Tips to drive through flooded roads

Thx for the useful tips sam.

1. Take a cigarette and rub its tobacco part on the windscreen. Rainwater would slip down faster. No need of buying expensive Harry Potter potions.
I have tried this, but it is not completely helpful. Driving inside the city in rains and that too in the evenings is the time you rue this fact. Just a week back, I was driving in heavy rains and the car infront of me stopped at the signal for turning right, while the it was green for going straight. So I had to take a left turn and I could not see much and while making this attempt very slowly, missed a two wheeler rider by inches. I would have waited for the guy infront of me to take the right turn after getting the signal, cars & buses behind me were making such a huge noise that I had to make that attempt.

So I agree that tobacco is a help, but I want solutions for driving in a maddening city traffic in heavy rains & under light. Sorry If I am annoying you[cry]

2. Clean the wiper blades with white vinegar. They will last longer, won't scratch the screen, and clean more effectively.

3. Keep some old newspaper pages inside the car. Spread them in the footwell before you enter the car with wet boots. Will go a long way in avoiding mustiness. Not to mention throw the wet pages immediately after the drive and replace with dry ones.
I am yet to use vinegar on wiper blades, let me see. The news papers over mats has been helpful to me during rains, no doubt.

Re: Quick Monsoon Maintenance Tips For Your Car

I’m thinking to buy wax from a while now. There are two kind of wax available in market: Liquid and Paste. I prefer the latter. Formula 1 and Turtle are a couple of popular brands but beware of duplicates.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Yes there are very high chances of fake product of turtle ot Formula 1
Better to go with OCW 4onz small bottle it gives good water beading

350Z

Core Team
These are some useful tips shared by Michelin.
The onset of rain brings joy and comfort from the scorching heat; you wake up to the sound of raindrops on your windowpane. A long drive is on your mind, your bags are packed and you are ready to hit the highway with your friends or family but when a sudden thunderstorm hits, you find yourself stuck in traffic jams, facing unavoidable and stressful situations. The condition worsens during July to September, the key monsoon season in India.

Overall, there are three things that increase the risk of vehicular accidents during rainy days: decreased visibility, reduced traction and how other motorists behave on the road. While you cannot do much about the reckless driving of others, here is some helpful advice from Michelin Tyres to ensure you stay safe while driving in the rain:

First things first, always inspect your vehicle. Walk around your car. Check for fluid leaks, busted lights and loose wires. Test your tyre pressure and wheel alignment. Check your radiator. Do not just jump into the driver’s seat and drive away. Address any car problem before you leave your parking space.

Keep the windshield clean. Wash your windows and remove the dust and smudges. Invest in a windshield water repellant so you’ll have clear vision even in heavy rain. Good vision is the first rule in safe driving.

Exercise utmost caution when it’s raining. Road conditions during stormy weather may confuse you. Drive a bit more slowly so you can react better to road conditions and what other motorists will do on the road.

Anticipate when you need to make a full stop. Wet brakes are troublesome because they won’t work even if you step on them. Step on the brakes lightly even if you’re still some distance away. Then increase pressure gradually till you make a complete stop. After going through a puddle, step on your brakes repeatedly to dry your rotors. This will prevent you from skidding or losing control.

Don’t tailgate. Make sure you can always see the tail lights of the car in front of you. Better yet, make it a habit to see the whole car in front of you up to the bottom of its rear tires. You need distance to react to what the car in front of you will do. Tail gating even when it’s not raining is a bad idea.

Use your lights and signals. As soon as it starts to rain, turn on your head lights. If you can’t see the road ahead, turn on your hazard lights. Play it safe and honk your horn when passing another vehicle.

Protect your under belly. Floods, mud and splashes, if left alone, will cause rust to form in your car and hamper your car’s performance. Rust proof your car and make sure you do this regularly. Spray a rust-inhibiting chemical on the underside and other rust-prone areas. It may cost a little more, but you will prolong your vehicle’s life and keep it working like new. This will give you peace of mind in the long run.

Avoid flooded areas if you can. Turn on your FM radio to know where the floods and traffic are. If for some reason you find yourself in a flooded street, stay in the middle portion of the road. It has the least water build-up. If floodwaters are too deep, pull over or park somewhere. Don’t risk being submerged in flood waters or have your engine conk out.

Play it safe by using the right tires. Some tyre models are made specifically for rainy weather. Use these during the monsoon season to better avoid slipping, hydro-planing, and to get good traction on slippery terrain. Get a tyre with good traction and that can brake well on wet surfaces. Look for models that offer better grip, longevity and increased safety.

And yes, always make sure you have an umbrella in your car.
Drive Safe,
350Z

These are some useful tips shared by Michelin.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Use your lights and signals. As soon as it starts to rain, turn on your head lights. If you can’t see the road ahead, turn on your hazard lights. Play it safe and honk your horn when passing another vehicle.
Actually, Hazard lights are like a menace. Some people turn it on when there is a slight drizzle.
Please, Hazard lights are to be used only when your car is at a halt or when you want other motorists to slow down.
This is creating more accidents these days due to misuse. We won't know whether the car has turned on the indicator or not!

I was in Kerala last week, where downpour has already started. I was on my way back to home after a function in our Swift along with family. The sole of the flotter I was wearing was wet and got slipped of from the clutch pedal and the car got stopped with a heavy jerk (Needless to say I was in the middle of a gear shift). It was late at night and fortunately there were no other vehicles tailgating, which helped without any mishaps.
Lesson learned: Keep a separate pair of footwear inside car for driving in monsoon. At least keep a cloth or cotton waste to wipe off any water and sludge from your footwear.

PS: Another rainy day a coconut had fallen infront of my car, it bounced back from road and hit my number plate (Ooh, thankfully just number plate!). I think there is no remedies for this issue available. Driving vigilant, driving slow or fast are not going to help [lol].

Last edited:
Maintaining car in rainy season

Hello TAIgers,

I got two cars used only by me, a hatch and a sedan. My overall driving in monsoon is very less, roughly 20km/day. Most of the time I use hatch since it is easy to use in city. So sedan remain mostly inside the garage away from moisture except when I go for long drives which is at the most once in month.

So my question is,

1. Using sedan once or twice in a month during rainy season will affect it anyway?

2. Instead of using hatch what if I use sedan couple of times in a week. This will make it run for ~30km/week but because of this it will remain wet and rusting issues etc.

What will be the best strategy [confused]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Maintaining car in rainy season

So my question is,

1. Using sedan once or twice in a month during rainy season will affect it anyway?
It won't do any harm if the vehicle is used less during monsoons. Its totally your choice so be content with it buddy. However, suggest you to start it every 2-3 days so that battery does not get discharged. Also, turn on the lights and blinkers just to check all is working well. If you are not driving it on long distances, then every 2-3 days when you start it, just drive it for 1 or 2 kms so that nothing causes any issue. Also, remember during monsoons the moisture/humidity is there so just keep a check on all fluids like engine oil, brake oil etc because they might create a lump.

2. Instead of using hatch what if I use sedan couple of times in a week. This will make it run for ~30km/week but because of this it will remain wet and rusting issues etc.
Rusting appears if the car is wet and is in moist weather at large. Do keep a check on any deep dents and scratches on the panels as they are very prone to catch rust in monsoon. Also no matter if you drive 30 or 50 km in a week, make sure not to cover your car during monsoon. Reason, the water accumulates in the cover and slowly seeps in too. This collection and seepage not just affects the paint but also is a major cause of rust. While the car remains covered, one can't make out as to where all water gets accumulated but if it remains uncovered, water wont seep or accumulate it will keep flowing down the car. Once rains are done, do make sure your car is not subjected to direct sun-light as it also damages the paint. So best is, once rains are over, just wipe it off using a clean cloth and let it dry.

Buddy[:)], this is no rocket science but simple steps which can help you keep your car in good shape in monsoon and even in other times.

Regards

Akash

Chennai Flood affected cars - queries and answers

I think this is the need of the hour. My alto was submerged in water for 36 hours straight. I need to give for full service ASAP. Pls share of any maruti service and centres are open.

Re: CHENNAI Flood affected cars - queries and answers

Hi Vinod,

It was really catastrophic, to see what hell was faced by people of Chennai and TN in the last week.

Now coming to your car, please remove the battery (if not already removed), open the door with the key, if its remote locked, try and air dry the car inside out till the time you get to an ASS, also inform your Insurance agent about the condition, and take pictures, as many as possible.

All the best.

Vinod

An interesting insurance clause on car flooding ,i think many who are facing this issue should immediately follow this to be on the safer side
insurance chennai rain.jpg .

I think most of the cars when they get submerged, they will have to literally dismantled to the core in order to clean them, it is not just rain water, it is the water from road, drainage etc, so expect huge amount of dirt inside now.

Many things inside car cant be repaired, after this kind of incident
1. Moulded roof (if water has reached that high)
2. All cushions, door pads (if they are cardboard type) & carpet
3. all filters - & fluids - brake oil, engine oil, air filter, oil filter, drain all fuel too (remember there are enough delicate pipes and vents around fuel tank that can allow water to sneak in to the tank - as in this case, the water outside has enough volume & force to enter)
4. Apart from engine flushing a lot of cleaning is required at every electrical joint.
5. If possible, declare the car as total loss and move on. Since there are huge no:of cars affected with this issue. It will be weeks before car returns from service.

My friends swift had skidded and partially submerged into a pond on roadside, hosur highway a year back. luckily he escaped unhurt. No major damages to metal panels, but interiors was fully ruined, engine was ON when it hit water. MASS guy quoted 2Lakhs estimated repair cost, in that 40K would be paid by my friend. Rather he managed to dump it as total loss and got about 1.5lakhs. He added some money and bought a better condition wagonR and is happy with it for last 2 years.

My friend had driven his Vento in water logged area for few meters, water level was near fog lights and reached home safely. But on next day he can't shift to any gear with engine on. can you guys know what will be the problem.

Top Bottom