Quick Monsoon Car Care Guide & Tips To Drive Through Flooded Roads

Thread Starter #1
Monsoon Car Care tips

The monsoons are here.
WP_000274.jpg
The season which excites most of us petrol heads. The thought of driving on open roads with rains pouring on the windshield pumps up the excitement. To ensure, the monsoon doesnt dampen the driving souls, here are some tips to keep you and your car healthy this season.
WP_000513.jpg

Before driving:

• Check brakes:
    WP_000674.jpg
    Worn out brake pads act upon inefficiently and during rains, they will only worsen the situation. Hence replace them with a new set to guarantee peace of mind.

• Check washer fluid: Whilst driving behind heavy vehicles, the car often gets the spray of dirty smuck. Instead of directly wiping the dirt, use the spray and wipe method to clear everything off the windshield.

• Check windshield wipers:
    WP_000673.jpg
    Damaged rubber would not only lead to terrible wiping, but also leave behind permanent scratches on the windshield. Hence check the wiper blades for consistency for best results.

• Check all lamps:
    WP_000528.jpg
    Do keep all lamps running in working condition.

• Check AC/Demister: Helps clear off the mist during heavy rains.

• Check air pressure: Thanks to the Indian roads, you never know when you will land up in a pothole. A tire with low pressure + Pothole equal to a puncture in addition to a damaged rim/wheel. Hence optimum pressure must be maintained to avoid any such happening.

• Check your rubber:
    WP_000689.jpg
    Do keep a check on the tire treads. If the tires look worn out, do not give second thoughts on switching to new ones.

What to do and what not!​

• Avoid driving through high water table, if indispensable, do it at low speeds. While doing so, never put the foot off the pedal so as to ensure that the water doesn’t enter the exhaust.

• Make sure that the brakes are working fine after driving though water clogged roads. If they don’t, try pumping them. This helps them dry faster.

• Never drive fast on roads even with less water since it leads to a phenomenon called Hydroplaning. If it happens, do not turn the steering or apply the brakes heavily until the car manages to slow down.

• Always make wise use of wipers.

• Make sure you use the lamps (fog lamps, Headlamps) in case of heavy rainfall which helps the oncoming traffic about your existence on the road.
  • Make sure to drive slower on wet roads not only to ensure safety of your, but also of pedestrians.

• High speed braking may lead to slipping of vehicle. Hence, use the brakes wisely, ie pumping them at breaks rather than putting them at once which may cause their locking (In case of non-ABS vehicle).

• While driving through heavy mud, always drive though the tire marks of the traffic. If they aint available, engage the first gear and drive through the slush with frequent movement of steering in both direction. Moving in a straight line leaves higher chances of getting stuck up.

Car Care tips

Not all cars have good roads in their destiny. Few ones like mine have to cover stretches which even an SUV won’t like to commute. So for all those driving on such roads these tips would surely let your car remain happy. Highways guys, you may pick some tips too.

Exteriors:

• Make sure that the mud from the car is washed off daily to avoid stain marks, A strict note for people who own white cars.
    WP_000697.jpg

• If your car has to commute on muddy roads on daily basis, then weekly pressure washing of the under body is highly recommended to help the dirt get out of the tight spot like suspension, axle ends, muffler ends etc. The accumulation of mud would attract corrosion and rusting of that area.

• Make sure that the windshield fluid is filled up with atleast 5% sopy solution to wipe of the muddy splashes from the road. Only water as spray would lead to scratches on the windshield.

• Keep a water bottle handly for cleaning headlamps (if your car isn’t equipped with headlamp washers) at each stop during your drive or as required to ensure optimum visibility. The same holds true for other lamps too.

• Don’t forget to go for under body coating which helps in protection of the mechanicals beneath.

• A waxed body doesn’t allow water to stand on the paint, hence a wax is highly recommended for this wet season.

• Wipe off the water droplets from windshield, windows etc as frequently as possible, to avoid water marks in long term.

Interiors:

• Perfumes/naphthalene balls are a must in this season so as to avoid the smell of dampness.

• Make sure you have the floor mats so as to avoid soiling of the carpet. Be advised, cleaning of carpet is a real pain.

• Most of the dampness occurs near the foot rest region, hence in order to dry that area, direct the air damper towards the foot rest area with heater switched on so that at least some part of the region gets dried up. Now this is a tried and tested remedy which has proved beneficial to me till date.

• Make sure the demister is working properly so as to drive with full visibility.
  • Do not let those soiled mats/carpet remain in the car for long. If you have to park the car for long, don’t forget to wash the car inside out (including drying) so as to avoid any surprise growth of fungus and other microbial.

• In case the interiors get wet, do not forget to wipe off the wetness. If its too damp, try using dryers. It will prevent the occurrence of foul smell as well as microbial growth.

Driving through Flooded roads
Now in the Monsoons, your car has to deal not only with dirt, mud, but at a few instances, it may fall a prey to the flooded roads. Most of the times, it is fun to drive through water (splashing the water, not on pedestrians though), however, there are instances where the water level is dangerously high. This is when you must be extra cautious. Almost every year in the monsoons, we comes across accidents in cities which are more often, a result of drivers inability to judge the flooded road which ends up in a mishap. Just have a quick glance as how to go ahead in such situations to make sure that this monsoon (and of course more to come), you do less of worrying and more of fun-filled driving.

• Never attempt to cross such sections at higher speeds. As they say a hidden monster is worse than a visible beast. You never know, the flood may have washed off the entire section of the road.

• Re-routing is the best way out. Look out for alternative routes which may not be having water-logging, however if you have no other choice then, make sure you slot your car in first/second gear (before entering the water) so that you have enough torque to move steadily without frequent shifting. It is worth noting that frequent gear shifts in such conditions can be suicidal since it may lead to water entry into the exhaust.

• Try to keep revving the engine (slip theclutch) so as to force the water out of the exhaust.

• The safest bet would be to drive in the middle of the road where the depth of the water is likely to be the least.

• After you have driven through such a stretch, test your brakes so as to check for their effectiveness.

• Last but not the least, make sure you dont splash the water on the pedestrians or the 2 wheeler riders.

WP_000803.jpg
Happy Driving!​

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Re: Quick Monsoon Maintenance Tips For Your Car

Fantastic write up, Akash. Thanks for sharing some useful tips. It becomes more important since monsoons are on their full pace in Delhi. :smile:

Check washer fluid: Whilst driving behind heavy vehicles, the car often gets the spray of dirty smuck. Instead of directly wiping the dirt, use the spray and wipe method to clear everything off the windshield.
Adding to that – Prefer filling the windshield washer reservoir with a mild soapy solution.

If your car has to commute on muddy roads on daily basis, then weekly pressure washing of the under body is highly recommended to help the dirt get out of the tight spot like suspension, axle ends, muffler ends etc. The accumulation of mud would attract corrosion and rusting of that area.
My car had accumulated a lot of mud on the wheel wells. Get it cleaned either at a nearby car wash center (with high-pressure water) or at home itself with the help of plastic water pipe. The portable pressure washers are also available which would further add to the convenience (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...t-do-you-think-portable-pressure-washers.html).

Don’t forget to go for under body coating which helps in protection of the mechanicals beneath.
Very important. Though some manufacturers claim that their cars do not require it. Do check before proceeding.

A waxed body doesn’t allow water to stand on the paint, hence a wax is highly recommended for this wet season.
I’m thinking to buy wax from a while now. There are two kind of wax available in market: Liquid and Paste. I prefer the latter. Formula 1 and Turtle are a couple of popular brands but beware of duplicates.

Make sure you have the floor mats so as to avoid soiling of the carpet. Be advised, cleaning of carpet is a real pain.
Even cleaning the fabric foot mats is a task. I would suggest to spread a sheet of paper or plastic over it during monsoons to prevent getting it spoiled.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Excellent thread, the pictures are very relevant & appealing. Thank you so much. I guess many of us will bookmark this page, I will surely :D

can somebody explain me hydroplanning pls? [sleep]
Its a phenomenon caused when a layer of water accumulates between the road surface and the tire, when that happens you loose most of your traction (grip) on your tires and there are high chances of skidding.

Thread Starter #8

Fantastic write up, Akash. Thanks for sharing some useful tips. It becomes more important since monsoons are on their full pace in Delhi. :smile:
Hmm, actually at our place, the monsoons arrived in July itself.

Adding to that – Prefer filling the windshield washer reservoir with a mild soapy solution.
Yup, already doing so. Just make sure the solution is real mild, else it will leave a permanent mark on the plastics.

My car had accumulated a lot of mud on the wheel wells. Get it cleaned either at a nearby car wash center (with high-pressure water) or at home itself with the help of plastic water pipe. The portable pressure washers are also available which would further add to the convenience (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...t-do-you-think-portable-pressure-washers.html).
I reside at company's guest house which has neither a covered parking provision nor proper washing point which makes things difficult for my car. She gets her share of bath on every weekends.

I’m thinking to buy wax from a while now. There are two kind of wax available in market: Liquid and Paste. I prefer the latter. Formula 1 and Turtle are a couple of popular brands but beware of duplicates.
Actually, the liquid ones are easier to use. Usually i take help of detailers for waxing or rubbing.

Even cleaning the fabric foot mats is a task. I would suggest to spread a sheet of paper or plastic over it during monsoons to prevent getting it spoiled.

Drive Safe,
350Z
True, i am using 2 layer of rubber mats. When the car is not used for say a day or two, i pull out the dirty set so as to avoid any foul smell.

Fantastic report from Akash after long time.[:)]
Thanks Mukesh, not able to login these days due to hectic work schedule.

Excellent thread, the pictures are very relevant & appealing. Thank you so much. I guess many of us will bookmark this page, I will surely :D
Thanks ss80, the pics used to be better till last year when i was at home. Had better cam, and the car used to get proper wash.

I was searching for something like this. A great write-up! [clap]
Thanks jihu. Do post if you are still searching for something similar, i would be happy to do some homework!

350Z

Core Team

Just bumping up this informative thread since monsoons are around the corner.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Nice article Akash, out here in Pune with the two wheelers vacuuming the road and spraying it behind on 4 wheelers, I am considering keeping spare mud flaps for them - it serves as a maintenance tip for us.

Guys

Driving within the city in heavy rains brings one more perspective, unable to clearly see the ORVMs. I had applied tobacco, but it is not fully effective. Any ideas on this would be appreciated..

Guys

Driving within the city in heavy rains brings one more perspective, unable to clearly see the ORVMs. I had applied tobacco, but it is not fully effective. Any ideas on this would be appreciated..
i too face Similar problem,do need some advice on it.

Guys

I too tried that tobacco also vinegar nothing worked. My firend said he sprayed Rain X andnow that the water never stayed as droplets to hinder visiblity to ORVMS. I still did not try that. But I learned to drive without ORVMS[:D]. That helped me a lot when rains in night.

Thread Starter #15

Guys

i too face Similar problem,do need some advice on it.
I too tried that tobacco also vinegar nothing worked. My firend said he sprayed Rain X andnow that the water never stayed as droplets to hinder visiblity to ORVMS. I still did not try that. But I learned to drive without ORVMS[:D]. That helped me a lot when rains in night.
There are a few products available in the market which dont let water stay on the glass. One of the most popular being the one suggested by K!NkY, Rain X. Even I havent tried it but have heard good review of the product.

Thread content updated with "Tips for Driving through Flooded Roads".

Top Bottom