Queries on Transfer of Ownership, Insurance & Taxes

thanks @generalmax, @incarnation

yes, my friend liked the car and he is okay with its condition. will ask him to get the CC from owner to clear the facts. i think it will take couple of weeks for CC to come ?

yes it does take 3-4 days for the C.C. to be issued. the thing you nedd to give is your friends complete name and address as in his ID proof and the R.T.O details under whose jurisdiction he resides. do not pay the owner before the cc is issued that the only condition you need to have with the owner.

Last edited:
one of my friend going to purchase alto lxi 2009 model from Delhi and after that he want to transfer the car in Punjab with Punjab number can any one tell me what charges he have to pay for transfer

now lest say you buy the car from delhi you first have to visit the R.T.O and apply for N.O.C in the name of the person who wants to register it in punjab and give the R.T.O details of punjab R.T.O under whose jurisdiction your friends resides. Once you got that with the N.O.C you need to apply for transfer of ownership for that you would require the Invoice of the car when it was purchased. with that I.D Proof of the person who is going to register under his name. R. C. if its card R.C then a form called B- Extract is to be taken from the delhi R.T.O along with N.O.C., Insurance papers, Emmision papers, Now as you want it under Punjab Licence plates you will have to pay the Punjab state tax.

Now as the car was run in delhi from 2009-2016 which is around 7 years and as the R.C is valid for 15 years you will have pay the taxes only for the rest of remaining 8 years, here is where the original invoice value comes into picture hence you need the original invoice.

now to calculate the amount of tax there is a depriciation scale that the R.T.O uses. lets say for discussion purpose only that the value of the car is X amount. after the depriciation cysle is used it comes to around 58-60% of X amount now i dont know how much does punjab sate charge as tax but here in karnataka we are charged 14.5 % tax hence the tax would be 14.5% of 58-60% of X lets call this amount Y + 11.5% of Y as cess. once you pay this you will be handed a form called the form No 3 which is a proof that you have paid the dues to the punjab govt on the said vehicle so you have the legal right to keep the vehicle in punjab otherwise according to law white plate cars of any other state can roam around in another state only for a period of 30days post that you will have to head to the nearest R.T.O and give the reason for your stay and inform till when you are going to stay in that perticular state so and so forth. Now once you got the form no 3. no police can harass you for other state plates legally.

now the processof getting punjab no. that is a very long process it would take more than six months for one to get the plates. why because the Punjab R.T.O would send this N.O.C that you got from delhi to that perticular R.T.O for verification and that R.T.O shopuld reply to it and this process my friend is no mans land process. I hope you get what i mean. but eventually you will get the plates. Hope the info helps.

yes, my friend sticked to point that amount will be transferred only after CC is obtained ... but dealer (with whom my friend is dealing) is insisting to pay some amount (say 1 L) and get the car, 1 key [:D] and pay remaining amount after CC .. but I did not prefer the approach and asked to get the CC first then release any amount to dealer/owner. dealer said that he can get the CC from RTO within a day, hope its possible with bribe ?

dealer is not letting my friend to speak to the owner giving some silly reasons.
suggestions welcome please on dealing with this case as my friend is new in buying a used car [confused]

Last edited:
Thats O.K. as long as he is giving you the C.C., getting a C.C. is half an hour Job but you know how the government offices work. Once you get the C.C. take a copy of that C.C. and cross verify with any broker of that R.T.O, let the original be with the dealer. once you get a clean chit, go to the dealer and pay the amount and get the car.

dealers wont pass on the no of the owner because its his commision thats at stake if you directly deal with the owner, hence the suspense.

if you really want to speak to the owner ask the dealer to give you the copy of the papers and on the insurance policy paper you will have the owners Mobile or telephone No.

But please let the poor sales guy get his commission, i was in the same line of business so i know how much that guy needs the commission.

I agree, he never tried to avoid him but wants to know more details about the first owner, thats all nothing more.

your answer now give more doubts now on CC, if the dealer can get a fake CC then how can my friend verify its originality.

dealer has all original paper including spare key.

does anyone know that RTOs are not available in offices due to Global investor meet in Bangalore ?
anyone faced issues while applying for DL, CC, or name transfers

But please let the poor sales guy get his commission, i was in the same line of business so i know how much that guy needs the commission.
@incarnation: could you please let me know what will be the ideal percentage broker would get from both seller/buyer ? this would help my friend for his deal.

it would be 2000 if the car's worth is within 1,00,000 and if its above 2% of sale price. that's the normal practice. i used to charge the same.

No i didn't make money but made a lot of car crazy friends. who call me even now for their car needs, Although i stopped it now.

Thanks @incarnation.
I assume 2% would be from seller to broker ? buyer would give whatever he wish.

I have got a question on ownership transfer. The insurance is still under first owner's name. Do we need to transfer the insurance first to new owner and apply for name transfer in RTO ?

First owner was a company name, then transferred to employee name and now my friend bought the car. But insurance is still under company ie first owner.

once you get the CC first you transfer the ownership in R.T.O and then with these papers head to the insurance company office within 14 days of change of name of ownership and get the insurance transferred on to the same name as in the R.C. not the other-way around.

if you don't get the policy transferred on to your name within 14 days of ownership transfer the Insurance policy stays Void. so be careful about it.

RTO Transfer from company name to employee name happened on Dec 2015 and I think the insurance is NOT transferred on employee name yet. does it mean vehicle is not having any insurance now ?

And current insurance will expire by 3rd week of Feb, hope my friend can buy a new insurance on his name anytime now, correct ? please confirm.

Top Bottom