Purchasing New Car: Tata Tiago XZ vs Maruti Suzuki Ignis Delta

May be my brio only has issues with low ground clearance as it touches speed breakers when on load! Other cars hv no issues like this.

kkn13

Suspended
May be my brio only has issues with low ground clearance as it touches speed breakers when on load! Other cars hv no issues like this.
How old is your car?
Honda increased height of 2009 model city in 2012, maybe they did something similar with Brio?
On Mumbai roads, Ive never faced an issue with load barring a speedbreaker in Andheri East which is notorious where it only just touched

Though Ignis would be my 1st choice and Brio might get facelifted next as mentioned here earlier
Still 1.2 IVTEC is a sweet engine and ages gracefully
1.2 K series of Ignis is also very good, better low end torque than IVTEC

Last edited:
My brio 2012, my friends amaze 2015 having the same issue! Its not a deal breaker though but it has such issue!
Yes k-series engine having benefit of better low end torque compare to ivtec's! Also to note other spare parts of honda's r much more reliable & long lasting compare to maruti's.

Last edited:
And if your heart says tiago..just go and get the one.

Prior to brio i hv i10. Just avoid considering i10 for its high maintenance cost,low fuel economy,worst car in handling better in ride quality though! Cabin plastic quality (grand i10) top notch compare the segment.
No fun to drive at all! (Talking about i10 magna 2011)
Hyundai & maruti cars show ageing. honda has edge here.

Fun to drive is present in brio-ignis-tiago!
The Brio might be in it's last in terms of life cycle. The only thing drawing towards it is the IVTECH and the fun to drive factor apart from hassle free ownership.

For features and novelty the competition has gone a few notches ahead.

The Grand i10 or upcoming Swift are not in contention. It's just between the Brio VX Manual or Tiago XZA.

Need to seriously test drive both more than once to come to a decision. The complexity of choice is more due to the involvement of the Home Ministry.

Great. I have not driven yet but heard ignis too is a fun to drive.
Yes only multiple test drives can only bring more clarity!
Also do note the smooth gear lever shifting is present only in hyundai and maruti cars!
Sadly here brio having little notchy gear lever and same is with tata also!
You have to compromise something in each car to get something better in other. One has to see which one is more balanced as per their needs or likes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great..i hv not driven yet but heard ignis too is a fun to drive.
Yes only multiple test drives can only bring more clarity!
Also do note the smooth gear lever shifting is present only in hyundai and maruti cars!
Sadly here brio having little notchy gear lever and same is with tata also!
U hv to compromise something in each car to get something better in other. One has to see which one is more balanced as per their needs or likes.
You just nailed it Sanjaysk.
It's the search for the car with the least compromises.

More so if the budget is fixed. In my case for 6.5 L I have to decide between a manual Brio VX or Tiago XZA.

The TATA offers a lot for the money and an automatic too with an engine which is not very well tested.
The HONDA is giving less for the same money but offers reliability and ease of use along with a gem of an engine.

I have been watching this thread silently. Today morning I saw a Tiago, in our Co Car park in the funky Orange Color. It induced a second glance from me. Had a small chat with the owner and thought of adding his inputs here. My younger colleague, started his search with Celerio and ended up with the Tiago. He is happy with his choice.

Let me compare Tiago and Ignis, from my view point:

Safety:

• Both Tiago and Ignis get "dual Airbags, ABS, EBD and many creature comforts and features". Kudos to both Maruti and Tata.
  • I would advice the OP to compare the 80-0 kph braking time & distance of both the vehicles. Whichever has less, should be given two PLUS Points.
  • For me weight is an important safety feature. Tiago is 930 kg and Ignis is 830 kg. 18 years ago, weight of my Matiz was 800 kg. If Maruti makes its cars light, by using Carbon Fibre body panels and shifting weight from Sheet Metal to Structure, THEN "this 830 kg figure" is great. Otherwise THIS reduced weight is bull crap. Thicker sheet metals will "protect the occupants from intrusions inside cabin, during the low speed impacts", typical of what happens inside City Limits. Also, a heavier car will be disturbed LESS by cross winds on the highways. Though in high speed crashes, both cars might get damaged equally, I would feel more assured to be inside a Tiago.

Engine : Smoothness, Driveability, Fun and Reliability:

• Maruti's 1.2 Lit engine is a gem, proven, reliable and you can push it to the limits on NHs with a smile on your face. Everything about this Engine is plus plus and plus.
  • Tiago's 3-Cylinder 1.2 Lit Revotron is NOT so smooth as Maruti's. I remember reading that Tata has NOT got "Noise insulation inside Cabin" fully right in Tiago. My colleague asked "what do you mean ?", when I questioned him about NVH levels inside Cabin. First timer [;)] .
  • Though Tiago is NOT a sprinter, my colleague says Tiago pulls cleanly in traffic. He is normally in 3rd gear in traffic. On flat roads, the car moves from zero in 3rd Gear. The way he described it, I feel the Revotron, in 3rd Gear, is sort of an Auto Box for Bangalore traffic. I would say THAT is a very good driveability.
  • By comparing the "Max Speed and Times" in "Gears 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5" the OP can decide WHEN to change gears when looking for some Fun. The 3-Cyl will be bit more vocal.
  • I had seen some Altos maintaining 110 kph, so I don't think Revotron will suffer to maintain 110 kph on NHs.
  • When it comes to the Reliability of THIS Petrol Engine, I can only hope that Tata Motors Ltd does have Certified Reliability Engineers (CRE) in their design group, and those engineers had put to practice what they learnt.
Ride and Handling:

• Being similarly priced, I think both cars are level, in terms of Ride quality. Colleague says he hears "thud" sounds, but Ride is NOT jarring.
  • He said it is a bit of a struggle while (parallel) parking, in spite of light steering. This could be due to the turning radius of 4.9meters. Same is 4.7 for Ignis. My Matiz had just 4.5m and my Verna has 5.2 meters. I got used to it.
  • Tiago is Colleague's first car (and also at a budget); meaning expectations are limited on "race car dynamics". That said, Tiago being heavier, you will feel bit more comfy while taking on Curves at speeds.

FE:
Colleague is getting an FE of 14-15 kpl over his regular 7+7 km office commutes. Being light in weight, FE of Ignis will be about 1-2 kpl better than Tiago. As you would be traveling around 8,000 km in an year, you would end up saving about Rs 2,500 to Rs 5,000 per year in Ignis.

Looks:
This is subjective, but, personally, I feel the "rear and side profile" of Ignis looks outright lousy. Tiago is good looking. Period.

A$$:
Maruti's stellar A$$ network is a plus, without doubt. You will have to sit on their throats in Tata's A$$. Few of my colleagues take leave, when their Tata made car goes for service, to ensure things are done in the right way. With Tiago having a Service interval of "every 7,500 km or 6 months", you will have to consume "two of your leaves" in an year. NOT ACCEPTABLE, it should be at least 10,000 km or One Year. THIS is the single most irritant in Tiago for me. [frustration]

Resale Value:
I hate to mention it, but felt it is OK to talk about it in this price point. I am NEITHER seeing this in Bangalore NOR seeing this on the Highways. Per month, Tata is selling around 7000 Tiagos and Maruti is selling around 4000 Ignis. If this trend continues, resale value of Ignis could be less than Tiago AFTER 8 years. So, with the Ignis, you gain on FE and loose on resale value.

Final Words:
A car has to meet "what the individual is looking for". I would say both these cars are sort of all-rounders. Depending on how you look at them, one is bit better in bowling department while the other is bit better in batting department. If I am playing T20, I would select the bowling all-rounder. But, you are forced to select an all-rounder for a Test Match (8-10 years) at Home (65% City use). Generally, IF the "pitch is cooked up", preference is for a "bowling all-rounder". Please do tell us, dear Capt. Krishna, "how do you read the pitch" and which all-rounder you have chosen.

@Vijay,
I was gonna unsubscribe to this thread but then your post shows up. I wish all our members are unbiased when it comes to "suggesting" and "advicing" fellow members. That cricket analogy is simply superb [clap].

I had seen some Altos maintaining 110 kph, so I don't think Revotron will suffer to maintain 110 kph on NHs.
110 KPH falls in the prime power zone of Revotron's RPM range so it's just a cake walk.

Last edited:
Took delivery of my Ignis Delta on Thursday . The engine is really peppy and powerful and easily pulls at 30kmph in the 4th gear without any strain on the engine. Front space and overall cabin space is surprisingly comfortable given its compact dimensions. 3 at a back for long journeys might be a big uncomfortable, but it isnt a deal breaker for me . Rear space at the back is better than swift.
Congrats on your purchase.
How much it cost you on road ?
Do post your Initial review and buying experience.

kkn13

Suspended
3rd gear in a 3 cylinder in traffic? Unlikely ,Ive driven the car before

Weight of car doesnt matter unless you intend to do insane speeds , dont be dramatic
Ignis/Baleno can tackle curves with ease, being 4 cylinder, you wont even need to downshift like in Tiago

As for looks, Tiago looks like an updated Indica. While Im not a fan of Ignis looks overall, the car is certainly better looking from front and its blackened alloys, LED headlamps and chrome bits look stunning

Resale of Ignis could never be lesser than Tiago , dont lie for the sake of it
Marutis always have good resale, heck my friend got 2L for his 2005 heavily abused Baleno, I got 2.7L for my abused Ritz. Both models werent hot sellers

See Tata cars like Aria, even 2013 models are available for a max of 3-4L

Also 110kmph is normal in any car, but try overtaking or doing brisk lane changes, Tiago being a NA 3 cylinder will fall short and require frequent gear changes

Dont overhype a car with no base
Tiago is a good attempt by Tata but it has its pros and cons and its certainly not what you think it is

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase.
How much it cost you on road ?
Do post your Initial review and buying experience.
Thanks a lot. Delta costs around 6 lakhs on road Pune which includes extended warranty, insurance, RTO .They didnt give any accessories free.
I rejected the 8k accessories package and 1.1k nexa card as it looked like a waste of money to me. I just posted few observations and few queries in the Ignis review thread . Please take a look. [:)]

3rd gear in a 3 cylinder in traffic? Unlikely ...
My mistake, I didn't tell you. I drove Matiz, coupled with a gem of a 52 bHP / 3 Cyl / 800 CC / Petrol Engine for years. It's driveability was tooooooo good; better than its (then) competitors Zen / Santro. Now you know, why I started looking at the 3-Cyl Revotron engine with some interest.

... Weight of car doesnt matter unless you intend to do insane speeds , dont be dramatic ...
Even between 80-100 kph, the Tall-Boy Matiz, with its mere 800 kg weight GOT AFFECTED by cross winds, forcing me to slow down. Driving with windows down helped a bit. While passing buses/trucks, when I cleared them, I always felt "the rush of air coming across the front of bus/truck and onto" my Matiz. If I was passing a truck (going in the opposite direction), the force was more. I used to hold onto the steering TIIIIIIGHT. My heavier Verna, at much higher speeds asks, "Cross winds ? Where ??". There you go.

... As for looks, Tiago looks like an updated Indica. While Im not a fan of Ignis looks overall, the car is certainly better looking from front and its blackened alloys, LED headlamps and chrome bits look stunning ...
This "Looks Department" is subjective. I started the post by saying "from my view point". I don't like the way Ignis looks.

... Resale of Ignis could never be lesser than Tiago , dont lie for the sake of it
Marutis always have good resale, heck my friend got 2L for his 2005 heavily abused Baleno, I got 2.7L for my abused Ritz. Both models werent hot sellers...
On the resale of Maruti Cars, I could be completely wrong. Point given.

... Also 110kmph is normal in any car, but try overtaking or doing brisk lane changes, Tiago being a NA 3 cylinder will fall short and require frequent gear changes...
"Frequent gear changes for overtaking" ... Am I glad you mentioned THIS !!! YOU triggered a dormant thought and I have written about it in this link here. Summary of THAT post is "Shift down for SAFE overtaking".

... Dont overhype a car with no base...
I had brought out the negatives of Tiago in my post. I thought I was being neutral. But, I am a self-certified Maruti hater and it could have filtered in [lol]

Top Bottom