Punto-->>Vista-->>Swift-->> Which is best diesel hatch

Which is the best diesel hatch between cars listed below

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

I would like to know which one is the best out of following?
Also I haven't added fabia and polo to the list as I have ruled those out( though they are good cars in their own areas)

Thread Starter #3
Yes there is, however I wanted to know from specific three cars and particular versions. hence the new poll.

well buddy are you asking us or wanting suggestions for car buying?? anways my vote for swift and punto anyday!

Thread Starter #5
I am just asking you. I haven't finalized on any car yet. Would like to know opinion from all of you.

This is like comparing coconut (Punto),Jack fruit(vista) and mango(king - swift).

Jack fruit is large seasonal fruit, with load of sweet meat and seeds and lot of annoying things like gluey sticky fluid (those who have eaten jack-fruit they know it) they are highy perishable would not last long.

Mango- king of fruits, again a seasonal fruit ,being king it has its own extraordinary taste and flavour.most widely available and well known . but with a big single seed which may taste sour to bitter inside.they are highy perishable would not last long.

coconut, not a seasonal fruit -I like coconut more maybe because I am from kerala -land of coconut. it is soft ,cushionlike from outside,with tough skull like shell protecting delicate things inside against any kind of impact and long lasting too.
Interior is not so sweet but much enough as good diet and quenching your thirst with refreshing nectar.

pardon me if I offended..!!

Punto 90 will be my choice as per my preferences.

My preferences -

Safety - Punto wins hands up here,
Performance - Punto wins here too due to the 90hp VGT engine,
Build Quality - Punto again ( European cars are known for the build quality),
High speed stability - Punto,
Cornering & Handling - Punto is the bench mark here,
Comfort - Punto
Braking - Punto

Except for Performance Vista comes second and the old swift comes third in all of the above.
However the new swift may come second ( Only time will tell ) in many of these parameters.

Other parameters which I ignored & Most will look into -

Mileage - Swift, vista, Punto
Obvoius as the Punto 90 is for people who want performance & not mileage.
However under sedate driving Punto 90 can deliver good mileage.
If you drive the Swift & Vista in the same way as a Punto 90 they may also return lower mileage.
Reasons of lower mileage in Punto can be attributed to increased confidence on the vehicle makes 1 to carry more speeds into the corners, Late & hard brakings, etc.

Looks - Punto, Swift, Vista.
This is subjective.
I always like the Italian cars for the way they are designed & Both Punto & Vista are from Italy.
Not ready to start a debate here as every one has their own taste (and I put the Swift in the second spot after saying I Like Italian cars).

Engine - Punto has a clear edge with its VGT.
More over all three come with the same engine the Legendary FIAT MultiJet.

Service Intervals - Punto -15000 kms, Vista & Swift - 10000 kms.

Price - Punto is the most expensive due to all the things it offers & the premium it charges does pinch the pocket.
The New swift ZDI is also close to it in price.
The Vista is the cheapest here.

Resale - Swift, Vista, Punto.
Premium cars never get good resale values.
This can change here as the new swift is priced higher & the top end versions never get good resale values.

Now its your choice to decide which vehicle to go.
Choose your car as per your preferences.

Last edited:
Punto if you love driving, Vista for rear seat comfort and VFM, Swift, I would not take a risk for a few month due to workers sabotaging cars at Manesar.

I have voted for Punto 90hp. However, if you give priority to A.S.S., then swift is a no brainer!

if you can live with the mediocre acceleration & poor A.S.S., punto 90 hp is a great choice. the first & second gear plays spoilsport but 3rd gear onwards, punto pulls cleanly. of course, you have other advantages like lots of features (many of which are not mentioned in the brochure or any review or any forum & which ONLY a Punto owner knows!), good & sturdy build & a great ride & handling combination. As far as my limited experience goes, the car is reliable as well.

however, be prepared for poor resale value. you can cover that up to some extent by asking for some discounts. they are doing poor sales numbers!

also, have a look at the ford Figo.

Out of the above three cars it has to be the Punto 90HP for me. As Raj said apart from the slow initial pick-up one will love everything about the car.

Swift-I am not a big fan of Maruti cars due to their weak build and the Swift does not feel like a premium hatch to me.

Vista- I don't like TATA'S A.S.S and even in a metro like Chennai their service is not upto the competition.

Thread Starter #12
Thanks All for nice replies.

@jayadev -- I like crystal clear replies, and you have given one, so nothing offending. As far it's from your heart(read honest), I am willing to accept anything.

I agree with most of the members that Punto 90hp is good. But there is problem with spares and A.S.S. at least in Pune, that's what I have heard. Any comment on that? Rest I have no doubt regarding Punto.

Also when is new Punto coming?

Today i have a good news to share.
I thought i will put it in my ownership but this thread suits better.
After thorough search for a hatchback one of my colleague fell in love with Punto.

In final moments he was confused punto vs figo. actually i was one who pushed for figo as he was finding punto to be be much expensive for his budget.
But his elder brother helped him by checking both car back to back.
His elder Brother found Punto to more comfortable and feature rich than figo. so he decided to spend 7+ lakh for punto.But he is still suspicious about ASS(seriously suspicious).
My only consolation to him was, within 14k+ km i have spend nothing for service so we can hope it continues as it is.

He is not car enthusiast or internet freak. so all his knowledge came by word of mouth from his friends(myself "not" one among them).
Things he liked in punto was
*good seat.
*very well built
*nice looks
*fiat badge.(yes you read it right. Fiat is still considered to be most long lasting cars- i was surprised!!)

Edit : he booked Tuscan wine Punto

I have the All New Fiat Punto 90BHP Emotion Pack. I love to drive it on highways and specially on cornering, its an amazing machine. The 90BHP Machine amazes everyone on highway specially the high-end luxurious vehicles by simply overtaking at high speeds. The Handling is superb. GET all features in the vehicle and You do not seem to purchase a bigger sized vehicle also. I love the RED Badge of FIAT. Also, I have the Red Chequered Flag Sticker on both sides which make my vehicle look SPORTY and like a Race Car. The AERODYNAMIC shape is awesome as it cuts through the AIR very quickly. You can make out with the Acceleration and Power it Generates from the 90BHP Monster Engine. Performance is on high end. Mileage, I don't care much as I know its DIESEL. Comfort is excellent. Love the way people look at this car when it comes to high speeds and Braking. Features You can never think of, its like never ending list. Specially the 15" tyres provide more grip on the roads. This even has the BLUEME Technology and SMART Intelligence System.
AWESOME CAR BY FIAT. Hats off to FIAT.
After driving this vehicle, I sometimes think of FERRARI.
Now someone might ask me why FERRARI, coz Every FERRARI is a FIAT.

Top Bottom