Pune To Kerala Road Trip [9 - 10 Days]

Day 10: Once you have hit the NH, it is pretty easy going. Nothing much to worry. I am not sure about the latest route conditions between Yellapur - Haliyal - Kittur, but this should be your shortest to reach NH.
I have done Karwar-Yellapur-Haliyal-Dharwad route for Mumbai in the last week of December'17,the route is a Two Lane highway with very smooth roads and passes through dense forests and greenery.

I was in Mangalore during the weekend of 7/8 july. The traffic on the highway was quite bad with the trucks and heavy rains. So please plan that you would need some time to cross Mangalore and probably you can take a food break in Mangalore if the timing is right.

I was in Mangalore during the weekend of 7/8 july. The traffic on the highway was quite bad with the trucks and heavy rains. So please plan that you would need some time to cross Mangalore and probably you can take a food break in Mangalore if the timing is right.
My colleague (native of Hassan) said the rains have subsided from this week. Hope it remains the same!

Weather is getting worse & more rains are predicted, floods appearing on most rivers, landslides happening unpredictably & tourists are being banned in most tourist places....I would suggest to cancel the trip / move it to end September!

I suggest you reconsider your decision to visit Kerela now , seeing the devastation the state has undergone. Carefully check the routes you want to travel that everything is ok before you start.

Thread Starter #24
I will be going for this trip starting from this weekend i.e. Saturday 10-Nov.

Below is the final route which i have decided, but this time unfortunately i have 1 day less. I have to be in Pune by 17-Nov as i have some plans on 18th Nov

Day 1 Pune -- Mysuru
Day 2 Mysuru -- Munnar
Day 3 munnar
Day 4 munnar -- Allepy
day 5 Allepy -- kannur
day 6 kannur
day 7 kannur - kumata
day 8 kumata - Pune

please suggest if this looks good.
I think the first[Pune - Mysuru] and the last[Kumara - Pune] stretch looks pretty long.

Thanks,
Satyajeet

Thread Starter #26
For the Pune Mysore stretch you can take right after Tumkur and then connect Mysore Highway near Mandya. So no need to touch Bangalore unless you want to catch up with us... [evil]
yes sir that was the plan to head till Tumkur and connect to Mysore, but some bad diversion misguided me and i ended up into some some very bad potholes stretch for around 50-60 kms. This road was so bad that it took me around 2-3 hours of driving and it was extremely tiring. All the timing which i covered from Pune till this diversion all down the drain [cry].

So far i have completed below journey and writing this from some hotel in Kochin.

Day 1 - Pune - Mysore
Day 2 - Mysore - Munnar
Day 3 - Munnar site seeing
Day 4 - Munnar to Alleppy
Day 5 - Alleppy [House boat stay]
Day 6 - Alleppy - Kanyakumari [Unplanned destination, will cover in detail during the travelouge ]
Day 7 - Kanyakumari - Alleppy - Kochin

Total distance covered - ~2150 kms.

Except for the day 1, enjoyed every bit of the journey. Roads are extremely good and its pleasure driving.

Thanks,
Satyajeet

yes sir that was the plan to head till Tumkur and connect to Mysore, but some bad diversion misguided me and i ended up into some some very bad potholes stretch for around 50-60 kms. This road was so bad that it took me around 2-3 hours of driving and it was extremely tiring. All the timing which i covered from Pune till this diversion all down the drain [cry].
Oh that is sad. If you were following Google Maps it may guide you to shortest route which is often bad in shape. Similar thing happened to me recently.

I have had times when I finalised a route in Google maps in the zoomed out view and then started the trip, and the app changed the plan without informing us. Since we are in zoomed in mode with probably less than a km in the screen, we don't realise the change in path if we don't zoom out. And we will recognise only if its a road that we are familiar with.

This happened about 1-2 years back. Don't know if it's okay now. So better to plan early the route to take with important towns and cities that you have to travel. Then periodically zoom out of the navigation screen and check if you are going as per plan.

Satyajeet, hopefully you have left Kochi.

If yes, you are one lucky guy.

Gaja is hitting the city really hard.

Last time you planned to come here, the floods happened. You were lucky to escape that. This time also heavy rains here. Hopefully you get lucky again.

yes sir that was the plan to head till Tumkur and connect to Mysore, but some bad diversion misguided me and i ended up into some some very bad potholes stretch for around 50-60 kms. This road was so bad that it took me around 2-3 hours of driving
Most probably you got routed through Dabaspet - Gudumarenahalli - Magadi - Huliyuradurga - Maddur (Mysore Highway)... Some of these sections are bad to worse. And it will take 2-3 hrs to cross this section!

Top Bottom