Pune - Ooty - Munnar - Pune

When you drove from Kottagiri to Munnar, did you go to Avinashi from Annur to get on to the highway ?

A friend in Coimbatore told me to take a right at Annur, which took me directly to the Highway (at a place called Karumathampatti) and hence avoided going to Avinashi.

Thread Starter #17
When you drove from Kottagiri to Munnar, did you go to Avinashi from Annur to get on to the highway ?

A friend in Coimbatore told me to take a right at Annur, which took me directly to the Highway (at a place called Karumathampatti) and hence avoided going to Avinashi.
Yes !! I went through Kotagiri - Mettupalayam - Annur - Avinashi - Palladam - Udumalpet - Palani - Dindigul - Theni - Bodinayakanur - Munnar

The detour from Udumalpet was because there was road construction going inside Munnar town where town side road was closed for vehicles.

Nice Travelogue with detailed write up with additional link provided for Road Conditions.
Thought of doing this during this Diwali vacation but had to abandon the plan due to travelling time involved.

Just wanted some few pointers from your side

- Can you let me know the details of Hotels where you stayed
Tumkur, Ooty and Munnar. Your review and information tit bits would be helpful.

- Is it advisable to take your own vehicle to site seeing places in Ooty and Munnar considering the roads and parking at tourist destinations .

- What were the typical travel times between Tumkur to Ooty and from Ooty to Munnar.

- Any particular advice on making this road trip from Mumbai would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance !!! Loved reading your travelogue

Thread Starter #19
Nice Travelogue with detailed write up with additional link provided for Road Conditions.
Thanks tuzusun for your words.

- Can you let me know the details of Hotels where you stayed
Tumkur, Ooty and Munnar. Your review and information tit bits would be helpful.
Regarding hotels i stayed in,
1) Hotel Citria Star, Tumukur (Hotel is right on NH48 with good parking. Its Ok Ok hotel just for overnight halt. You may order food from their menu which they will serve you in their dinning place)

2) Yantra Leisures, Ooty (hotel is located some 2-3Kms from main Ooty market, has good parking and restaurant)

3) Ayur County, Munnar (Hotel is bit away from Munnar main town, but is good for relaxed stay with amenities)

- Is it advisable to take your own vehicle to site seeing places in Ooty and Munnar considering the roads and parking at tourist destinations .
You can very well take your own vehicle for sightsee in Munnar as well as Ooty. In Ooty the pain is to park near Ooty lake, Dodabetta and Pykara lake).In Coonoor, parking at all attraction except Sims park is a task in itself. There is no worry in Munnar except Top station. Look for the seasonal crowd and decide accordingly.

- What were the typical travel times between Tumkur to Ooty and from Ooty to Munnar.
I traveled along with my family hence the approximate time taken is as follows:
1) Started at 7:00am from Tumukur and reached Ooty around 3:00pm with breakfast, lunch, tea breaks.

2) Started at 6:30am from Ooty and reached Munnar at 5:00pm. The route i took was longish as there was road construction happening that time from Munnar town to Chinnakanal. The time covers breaks for breakfast, lunch and small pitstops

- Any particular advice on making this road trip from Mumbai would be helpful.
Nothing to worry about, the roads are fantastic to drive. There is road widening work in progress from Bellur Cross to Pandavpura. I suggest you to avoid night drives as the road is in ghat section and there is almost no connectivity.

I have a question. Most people(myself included) would typically feel that a Grand I10 would be inadequate (for the lack of better words) for such long highway trips. What has been your experience with the car itself ? How would you describe it's power, dynamic abilities (handling, braking) and overall sense of safety ?

Thread Starter #22
I have a question. Most people(myself included) would typically feel that a Grand I10 would be inadequate (for the lack of better words) for such long highway trips. What has been your experience with the car itself ? How would you describe it's power, dynamic abilities (handling, braking) and overall sense of safety ?
I have done ample amount of longish drives in my Grand i10. These drives comprises of highway, ghats, no roads etc. The car taken it all in smooth way. The power is sharp which helps you to zoom and perform overtakes. The handling is good enough if you keep speed within 120Kmph. The braking is also sharp where you need to get use of it. I recommend this car for every small families, it won't disappoint you.

Excellent write up. I have done Ooty and Munnar couple of times. Able to relive my trips through your travelogue :-) Time to visit them again.

Thread Starter #25
Excellent write up. I have done Ooty and Munnar couple of times. Able to relive my trips through your travelogue :-) Time to visit them again.
Thanks you !!
Ooty and Munnar both are mesmerizing places. The climate and nature makes them even more interesting for visiting them forever and ever.

Top Bottom