Pronounciations of Car Brands & Names

How do we pronounce Michelin. My friend says it has to pronounced as MI-SHA-LAWN and N has to be silent. It is true?
Thanks,
Bala
As a rule, the last letter in a French word is always silent, unless it's a vowel and in some other special cases. But I would stick to its English pronunciation - Me-sh-lin.

Look at it this way. You know that in Bengali "Mamata" is pronounced "Maumto". How silly would it sound if you start calling her "Maumto Banerjee" outside Bengal especially when you are not conversing in Bengali?

+1 to Starlight.

It will be better if we stick to English pronunciations and not to worry much about French, Italian, Spanish, Russian or Chinese.

I have heard Jeremy Clarkson pronounce it as 'Mi-sh-lin'
He is usually wrong about anything non British.

+1 to Starlight.

It will be better if we stick to English pronunciations and not to worry much about French, Italian, Spanish, Russian or Chinese.
But we don't have any "English" cars. Even the British brands are now owned by the Chinese, Germans and our very own Indians. So every car on the road will now have a non-English name.

How do we pronounce these two

1. Fiat-siena
2. Bridgestone - Turanza( sorry this is not a car !!)
Si-ye-na
Toor-an-za

But we don't have any "English" cars. Even the British brands are now owned by the Chinese, Germans and our very own Indians. So every car on the road will now have a non-English name.
Dear P3T3R,

Agree that you being Seafarer would be biased towards French [;)]

We need to consider that English is generally recognised as an International language of communication. Chinese may be buying UK car companies but they are also learning English en masse with a purpose.

Thread Starter #68

350Z

Core Team
Eicher is pronounced as ‘Eye-ker’ in English and ‘Eye-sher’ in German.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom