Pronounciations of Car Brands & Names

Thread Starter #51

350Z

Core Team
While British people do pronounce Renault like that the French pronounce it reux Nau
It does not seems that “Reux Nau” is the right pronunciation. Even at launch, the French officials pronounce it like “Ren-O”. This link might help for exact pronunciation.

Drive Safe,
350Z

It does not seems that “Reux Nau” is the right pronunciation. Even at launch, the French officials pronounce it like “Ren-O”. This link might help for exact pronunciation.

Drive Safe,
350Z
I've lived in France and pretty much everyone called it "reux" naut. Also Google translate will not give pronunciation. People with that surname are called reu nau in France. When used in English sentences though it is normally pronounced ren O

Last edited:
@ 350Z
it is mercy-lago, NOT mur-chie-lago
That's the Brit style. Not correct.

Another thing, the Tucson is supposed to be pronounced as Tuss-Ahnn, but many people pronounce it as Tuck-Son(Including me:tongue: when I was very young, 5-6years ago)
It's Too-Son (Not Sun)

How Giulietta and Cinquecento is pronounced. Guesses? (In reference to Alfa Romeo Giulietta and Fiat 500)
Juilietta and Chinque Chento

Well, I have a different take on pronunciations.

I know how VW and Renault and Peugeot and the likes are pronounced. But I will still pronounce VW with a V when casually talking to people in India. Occasionally, there's a smart one who will mockingly correct me and tell me that it's pronounced with an F. I ask him how he pronounces P A R I S, as in capital of France.

I have never received a correct reply yet!

I've lived in France and pretty much everyone called it "reux" naut. Also Google translate will not give pronunciation. People with that surname are called reu nau in France. When used in English sentences though it is normally pronounced ren O
It sounds like "reux" because the French R is a guttural sound - an uvular trill.

It's closer to the "kh" sound in Arabic / Urdu and even closer to "khr" sound.
The pronunciation is particularly difficult for native English speakers because there is no "kh" sound in the English language.

It should be easier to pronounce for Indians because we regularly use Hindi words which begin with what sounds like "Kh". Nevertheless there is almost nothing in Hindi too that sounds like "Khr" which is closer to the French R.

Top Bottom