Problem with Tubeless Tyres

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,
my brother in law has a 2003 zen mpfi. he has stock steel rims and fitted with tubeless tyres in dec 2010. now the air pressure is decreasing quite rapidly and has to be pumped with air every week.
Any idea gurus as to why this might be happening? is it possible that the rims have got rust and tats leading to the loss of air? is it must to go for alloys with tubeless? please help[confused]

Thread Starter #3
No he didn check for any puncture, but its happenin on al the 4 wheels. am assuming a puncture would just affect a single tyre.

No he didn check for any puncture, but its happenin on al the 4 wheels. am assuming a puncture would just affect a single tyre.
The air may be oozing out from the rim sides.
Even i had one tyre loosing the pressure even after filling nitrogen in my Scorpio despite being alloys, and indeed that spot inside had a rust, due to the rains + driving on no roads, bad roads water might get inside the rim.

So after filing the layer and he applied some white cream on the rim, the problem was solved.

Get it done from a professional tyre shop.

For tubeless its better to go with alloys so rusting wont happen.
Stock rim gets rusted very fast. If u run with low tyre pressure there is chances for water to peak in resulting in rusting. I had this experience in unicorn - Back tyre(which later on identified as puncture )

My friend,

It will be mentioned in the tyre's side wall itself wether it is a tube type or tube less.

The Air will escape due to the rust, weel bend...etc. Its not that Only alloy wheels will hold the air in tube less tyres. any type of wheels can hold the air pressure, if the wheels are in good condition.

Tel your B-I-L to check his wheels for any defects.

Tubeless tires perform to their best when fitted on alloy wheels and for the very simple reasons that alloys do not bend and alloys do not rust. Either of these 2 is your cause of problem. Inflate the tyre and then immerse it completely in water. This way you can locate the leak source. Now carefully examine if the leak point has rust/bend. Both can be corrected. A bend can be smoothend out at any good tyre shop. If rust then spray sand the area gently and clean with a dry cloth. Now spray some WD-40 over it and keep it for some time. Again inflate/immerse and see if problem is still there.

freakdude.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi guys,
my brother in law has a 2003 zen mpfi. now the air pressure is decreasing quite rapidly and has to be pumped with air every week.
Any idea gurus as to why this might be happening? is it possible that the rims have got rust and tats leading to the loss of air? is it must to go for alloys with tubeless? please help

Reasons for the above issues could be:

1) Puncture; (probably more than 1) if this is limited to a specific Tyre.

2) Loose Air Valve.

3) Improper meter reading in the air-filling machine at petrol pumps.

How many kilometers have the Tyre run from previous change? In case more than 40-50 Thousand then its time for changing them.

As a suggestion, it would be better to use Nitrogen in Tyre as it keeps the Tyre cool and doesn't need frequent top-up. Once in 3 months and that to 3-4 PSI. Another major benefit of the Nitrogen gas is it does not lead to frequent punctures.

My Honda City in 3 years got only 1 puncture.

Also, When you are getting your car's present Tyre checked for puncture then ensure that there is no puncture in the side wall of it since side wall punctures make the Tyre useless. There is also a puncture repair called as "Mushroom Puncture" which is way better than the ordinary tubeless puncture repairs. It is slightly costly i.e around INR 150/ puncture but effective.

Regards

Akash

hi guys,
my brother in law has a 2003 zen mpfi. He has stock steel rims and fitted with tubeless tyres in dec 2010. Now the air pressure is decreasing quite rapidly and has to be pumped with air every week.
Any idea gurus as to why this might be happening? Is it possible that the rims have got rust and tats leading to the loss of air? Is it must to go for alloys with tubeless? Please help[confused]
please use nitogen. Because nitogen has low deflation rate compared to normal air

Hi guys,
my brother in law has a 2003 zen mpfi. he has stock steel rims and fitted with tubeless tyres in dec 2010. now the air pressure is decreasing quite rapidly and has to be pumped with air every week.
Any idea gurus as to why this might be happening? is it possible that the rims have got rust and tats leading to the loss of air? is it must to go for alloys with tubeless? please help[confused]
Yes i totally agree with these tubeless tyres problems. Mostly problems occurs those with steel rims. I have indica ev2 with steel rims and always feel that tyre is half empty even after fillling air. This problem is only with front tyres especially right side one. Left tyre is ok but doesnt looks comfortable. It also looks quarter flat. But the right side one always looks half flat. My car is two years old and i am seeing this thing since then. Many times i went to tyre shop for check but they always told that it was not puncture. Also changed valve one or two times but no use. Six monts ago i replace old rims with new rims but again same problem occurs. Front right side tyre looks half flat and left side looks quarter flat. So now i am planning to install big size tyres 165/80 14.

I agree that air passes trought steel rims if they are bent. But what makes it bent? In my opinion two things are responsible. 1) Our indian roads with pot holes and raised gutter caps and 2) Low length of tyre side wall. I have seen many cars whose tyres side wall length is less than 10 cm. And i dont need to say what happens when a speed coming tyre (steel rims) with side wall less than 10 cm hits pot holes or raised gutter caps.

Last edited:

Top Bottom