Problem With Brakes In My 800

Thread Starter #1
Since my last major overhaul of the car about two years back(have just clocked 7k kms), I have always had this inkling that the brakes are not disengaging completely.

I have taken it to the garage a couple of times and they say everything seems to be running fine.

The last time the car was overhauled all the brakes(pads,shoes,liners and wheel bearings)were changed and the car was fitted with a brake booster.

I always feel like the car is dragging not running freely.The mechanics(more than one and from different garages)seem to think other wise.

Yesterday I starter hearing a squealing sound when I depressed the brake pedal.The usual thing to happen would be the sound would go away when I would release the brake.Not the case this time.

The brake pads still have life in them and have not been worn out.

So what might the problem be.Please throw some light on the dragging feeling of the car.Am I being paranoid or is there a possibility that the brakes might not be disengaging completely.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
No oil leaks.

How to check for Vacuum Leak?

If you are referring to the vacuum hose from the booster to the intake, it is not leaking.

Have checked it to make sure.

Last edited:
Use soap water and spill it over the joints near the booster and the cylinder, see if you can find any bubbles, then you can find the leak.

As I mentioned above try bleeding the pipes again.

get your hand brake checked for binding also if possible get your brake oil changed
usually rear brakes are neglected so focus on rear brakes & get them cleaned

Thread Starter #7
No the entire rear brakes were rebuilt.New cable, liner,shoe.

Oil was changed some 3k kms ago.

What is binding?

Last edited:
jack your vehicle one wheel at a time,rotate tyre & see if it is "free" front tyre will have a bit of drag as differential moves with wheel & axle please tell as what mechanics say

Could it be an issue with the rear brake cylinder? why not try that simple experiment suggested by Ilango in one of the threads?

Drive at 40kmph on an empty stretch of road and leave the steering wheel for a second or two. If you see your car moving left or right, one of the problems could be with the cylinders

2 things can happen
- Bleeding required and Check Master Cylinder
- When you change your brake pads , disc needs grinding , this always get neglected. Do that and problem is solved

this left right type of problem can also be due to alignment/suspension etc so wont be able to pin point brake problem.
I wouldn't think so
My car is Lowered and running an offset and no braking issues at all , I got bendix platinum brake pads to Stop the 330 horses .

Stance fitment cars will have this issue if you think its suspension ..but in real life neither alignment nor a suspension has to do a thing with the above mentioned prob.
Check picture below of Stanced Car

Attachments

making it even on a machine so that the surface isn't bumpy , everytime you change the brake pads it needs to be done. check your service manual .

I had same problem as this guy on my ford falcon solved it by adding new brake pads, bleeding old system and disc grind ( this is the right term I guess)

this term as known to us is disc turning anyhow it is not needed every time disc pad is changed but when required, turning removes metal thus making discs thin resulting in heating of discs & losing their braking capacity

Top Bottom