Premium Hatchback War: Hyundai i20 vs Maruti Baleno vs Tata Altroz vs Honda Jazz vs VW Polo & Others

Your Coice

• Hyundai i20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tata Altroz

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Honda Jazz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ford Figo

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Maruti Baleno

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • VW Polo

• others

• Total voters
Big flaw I noted in Jazz was weak AC & even bigger was noise during changing the driving modes in CVT. ( Eg. D to R or P to D) Noise was as if underbody is scraping against multiple undulations. And seriously felt, is it the same Honda refinement by which ppl swear on!

Big flaw I noted in Jazz was weak AC & even bigger was noise during changing the driving modes in CVT. ( Eg. D to R or P to D) Noise was as if underbody is scraping against multiple undulations. And seriously felt, is it the same Honda refinement by which ppl swear on!
Cool, so your question about noise during changing drive modes was right for Jazz. Just curious, what was the reason behind this question? Did you have a similar experience earlier? I only have Tigor AMT's experience till date and this issue was not observed in it, even though AMT being considered kind of inferior to CVT. In Tiger it was a kluck sound but not something like underscraping nor annoying.

Last edited:
Just curious, what was the reason behind this question? Did you have a similar experience earlier? I only have Tigor AMT's experience till date and this issue was not observed in it, even though AMT being considered kind of inferior to CVT. In Tiger it was a kluck sound but not something like underscraping nor annoying.
Kluck sound is acceptable but Jazz noise is more, more enough for the occupants to ask 'what happened? ` Note that we are used to the experience of DSG skoda AT for over a lakh km. I checked this Jazz noise in two cars & yes it was similarly annoying in both the cars.

Amongt the cars listed in this vote, which car offers 1.2 L petrol engine with 3 cylinders?
Its the Altroz and the Figo which offer 1.2 ltr engine with 3 cylinder configuration.
The new I20, offers 1 litre turbocharged 3 cylinder and 1.2 NA 4 cylinder Petrol.
While the Polo offers 1 litre NA 3 cylinder.

Today, took a long TD of Ford Freestyle petrol , I am impressed with the ride quality, handling, cornering, suspension, steering feedback. Most importantly my wife who suffers from motion sickness within 1 km of Ghat journey didn't complained at all during 6 km journey in the Ghat. Also it gives sports car like engine sound at high speeds, felt it to be way better than hearing noises of the trucks /buses you are overtaking in cars with super silent engines but poor noise insulation. Space at rear was also sufficient for 3 medium built, tall people. Rear knee room is impressive.
Only downside was all black interiors including the ceiling,but that's my wife's favorite color. I will vote on this poll after TD of Altroz.

Today, after taking TD of Honda WRV, visited TATA showroom in PUNE at 7 pm and the experience reminded me of the similar experience way back in 2011/12 during purchase of my Tata Manza QJD. Nothing has changed barring the car models. And kudos to TAMO for that.

My intention was to see & TD Nexon,but what attracted me was the Altroz. Hide the logo & I would have mistaken it for upcoming Honda! And after checking the built I would have mistaken it for Skoda or Fiat. Built quality is way better than Vista /Manza which were again known for their built quality . Entered inside & WOW! felt like something really superior than Honda or Hyundai. To my taste interiors look & feel was better than Harrier also.
After checking the display pieces of Tiago, Nexon and Harrier I caught hold of a SE and asked for TD of Nexon - D.It was unavailable hence agreed to TD the Altroz - D as I was almost fallen in love with the display car.
Following observations :
1) Turbolag was not annoying but I noticed it, SE said that Turbo diesel is yet to be introduced, I told him that it's the petrol turbo yet to be introduced, after checking the spec sheet he agreed.

2)Frankly speaking engine was so silent that me too mistook it for a petrol car! It was only after turbo started spooling I felt it's a diesel car.

3)Ride quality was good but nowhere near my 75 K KM. run Avventura MJD.

4)Most disappointing was the 1.5 L engine as compared to 1.2 L QJD /MJD. Finally I felt like checking the fuel lid label to confirm if the car is diesel or petrol?
Looking like engine is tuned with lower power & torque specs to avoid cannabalisation of Nexon but l feel Altroz will cannablise Tiago & Tigor rather than the Nexon. Tatas have wasted an opportunity to capitalise on the vaccum created by the absence of the diesel mills in MS and Honda in this particular segment. I request TATAS to bring in Nexon engine specs in the Altroz just to to do some justice with the Tank on Wheels built quality.

I had hard time while deciding between Petrol Glanza1.2 L/4 cylinders (Baleno) vs Tata Altroz 1.5 L Diesel vs Ford freestyle 1.5 L Diesel.

Finally I booked & voted for Ford Freestyle 1.5 L it won on the basis of Ground clearance, Torque, Safety., Engine & suspension reliability.

It seems Ford freestyle is from its own segment, neither hatch nor MINI SUV but combination of both. It is not a contestant on this thread /poll hence voted & clicked on 'others option'.

Very good choice and many congrats! [:)]
Which color and variant?
Do update us on further proceedings.
Thanks friend. Your inputs on this forum played important role in buying process. Since I am not a sedate driver, I preferred TDCI over petrol coz the driving style would have further decresed the FE.
It is Titanium Plus TDCI. Moon dust silver. Do let me know anything specific one needs to check prior to delivery AFA Ford FREESTYLE is concerned.

Thanks friend. Your inputs on this forum played important role in buying process.
Glad to know that. I really like this car and had TDed it two times earlier. Still follow updates on it. Would certainly think about it in case second car is needed in my family. [:)]

Since I am not a sedate driver, I preferred TDCI over petrol coz the driving style would have further decresed the FE.
It is Titanium Plus TDCI. Moon dust silver. Do let me know anything specific one needs to check prior to delivery AFA Ford FREESTYLE is concerned.
Nice color!
For PDI you can check this TAI thread - New Car Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI)

Top Bottom