Premium Hatchback War: Hyundai i20 vs Maruti Baleno vs Tata Altroz vs Honda Jazz vs VW Polo & Others

Your Coice

• Hyundai i20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tata Altroz

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Honda Jazz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ford Figo

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Maruti Baleno

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • VW Polo

• others

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Which car is worth
Which car is most VFM
Which car is more desirable
Which is the safest
Which got most usable equipment

and the most pertaining question

Which car I/you will choose?

Hyundai i20
i20final.jpg

Tata Altroz
thequint_2020-01_810bbd55-baa6-452b-95aa-a89c1d85dc3c_IMG_0101.jpg

Honda Jazz
Honda-Jazz-facelift-e1530778333108.jpg

Maruti Baleno

key_img5.jpg

VW Polo
3e7ddea5f63840498619e8e943a6c4bb.jpg

Ford Figo
fogo.jpg

Price comparison with other premium hatchbacks
from ACI.
EmDD0RvVgAA4Fvz.jpg

Some early Comments from my side :
Tata Altroz - Looks + Safety + VFM + Made in India 'vocal for local'.
VW Polo - Timeless design + 'turbo petrol is powerful'.
Honda Jazz - Ease of maintenance + badge value.
Maruti Baleno - High resale + Ease of maintenance
i20 - Desirable + decent resale + high on equipment

Attachments

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I have been driving a Tata Car (Tata Tigor XZA) for the last 2 years. In the past, I have driven the brands like Ford (Fiesta), Hyundai (Accent) and Maruti (many models).
If given a chance and if Tata comes with Altroz sedan (or even like Tigor size) with all features, I would definitely go for it.

Voted for Baleno.
Beautiful looks, Well equipped Safety features, Spacious, Lots of Comfort features, High Mileage = Peace of mind.

Voted for Altroz, as my consideration is a Diesel, if I was to look at a turbo petrol automatic, the Hyundai i20 and Polo would be contenders in my choice. Figo is too plain from styling prespective apart from engine, there is nothing really appealing there, and the Baleno Glanza twins are out of my list anyway.

Voted for Altroz for following reasons - Nice styling, strong build quality proven by the GNCAP 5 star rating and the VFM factor. The AT variant should have been introduced from the beginning. People in metros prefer it more considering the worsening traffic conditions.

From the list, I think Ford Freestyle should be there in place of Figo. Figo would be more suitable to compete with a segment below hatchbacks like Tiago, Swift, Grand i10, etc. Freestyle, though they call it as CUV (compact utility vehicle), is a beefed up version of Figo based on the same platform (of course it looks much different and better than Figo). Would definitely choose Freestyle on following factors - The new and peppy 1.2 Petrol engine. This engine makes the car certainly fun to drive. I had 2 TDs of this car and I enjoyed driving it a lot! It is still running in the back of my mind. [;)] Another factor is the safety package it offers in the form of ESP (active rollover protection, traction control and hill assist) along with standard ABS with EBD and 2 front airbags across all variants except the top which comes with 6 airbags. The build quality is also better as compared to some other cars in this segment, if not as good as Tata or VW. This is surely a driver's car. One would enjoy it a lot during driving. [:)]

Would never vote for Baleno due to the obvious reason of build quality. Also, though Jazz and i20 are better in terms of safety and build quality (Jazz is much better), the starting price and the rising maintenance cost makes them less desirable in my case.

Last edited:
@kasscon , thanks for starting this thread.
If given a chance and if Tata comes with Altroz sedan (or even like Tigor size) with all features, I would definitely go for it.
For diesel, I agree, but isn't the petrol engine underpowed for those well built cars?
Voted for Baleno.
Beautiful looks, Well equipped Safety features, Spacious, Lots of Comfort features, High Mileage = Peace of mind.
Then, why not Glanza? Meefeel, only downside to this duo is built quality or it's better than other Suzukis like swift ?
definitely choose Freestyle on following factors The build quality is also better as compared to some other cars in this segment, if not as good as Tata or VW. This is surely a driver's car. One would enjoy it a lot during driving. [:)]

Would never vote for Baleno due to the obvious reason of build quality. Also, though Jazz and i20 are better in terms of safety and build quality (Jazz is much better), the starting price and the rising maintenance cost makes them less desirable in my case.
I read on some reviews saying that the built quality of freestyle is not par with other ford's ecosport,do you agree? If yes, then plz compare freestyle built quality with the Jazz.
Why do you feel jazz is not equally fun to drive?

I read on some reviews saying that the built quality of freestyle is not par with other ford's ecosport,do you agree? If yes, then plz compare freestyle built quality with the Jazz.
I think that is true to some extent, FS may not be as sturdy as ecosport or Tata/VW cars but it is certainly better when compared to maruti's and hyundai's or even figo/aspire. I read in some other forums that the thud sound(door shutting sound) is better in FS compared to figo and aspire from the same platform. And also the safety package it offers in the form of ARP, traction control and hill-assist(from titanium variant, not below that) makes it better under 10L segment.

Jazz's overall build quality is better than FS and it is proven by crash test rating as well. euroncap(5*) and ancap(4*), and even the Indian version would have similar score. FS is not tested there till date. It would score 3 to 4 IMO.

Why do you feel jazz is not equally fun to drive?
I have not driven Jazz. My feeling is based on whatever I've read about Jazz in reviews and user's opinion. It is more from the enthusiastic(not rash [:)]) driving point of view. FS is pretty rev-happy and I certainly enjoyed driving it more than Tigor (or my earlier 1st gen santro). Jazz is I think more refined and offers smoother, peaceful driving experience.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
For diesel, I agree, but isn't the petrol engine underpowed for those well built cars?
As far as the underperformance aspect, even if it is there, a minor change is not going to affect my liking. I have been owned/driven many cars since 1985 and never bought a car considering its resale value, fuel economy, etc. instead I consider the style/strength and features, etc. I never felt my Tigor underperformed at any stage except those lags which is common for all AMT's . Each brand/model cars will have their own plus and minus. I never test driven a car or two wheeler so far, but finalise them seeing various reviews / user opinions.

Voted for Altroz for a honest attempt at premium hatchback from home grown manufacturer TATA and above all safety ratings 5* for Altroz makes it safest bet on our roads.

Hope the the market share also shows same faith that we are showing online as most of the people I know will boast on the product but when its their turn to buy they will again go to Maruti or Hyundai.

Cheers !!

SG

Top Bottom