Premium Hatchback in Exchange of My Alto Lxi

Thread Starter #1
Hi there. I currently have an Alto Lxi. I have travelled 9800kms in 5 years. So I am looking for a premium hatchback as replacement. I am looking at i20, Jazz, Figo, Punto, Swift, Polo.

Following are my requirements in order of priority.
1. Kneeroom at the rear (for my parents)
2. Ride Quality
3. Mileage & after sales service/parts cost
4. Features

I was under the belief that Swift has worst rear space and i20 & Jazz has more. Today I took a test drive of i20 and Jazz. I felt Jazz was far more spacious than i20 even at the rear. I was disappointed by i20 rear space after I heard so much about it everywhere. I felt i20 more powerfull at first and second gears which is odd because Jazz is supposed to be more powerful.

One strange thing happened though. In both the showrooms I told that I am test driving some other cars. Both of them asked did I test drive Punto [roll]

Also, the delear at Hyundai told me that they have removed rear AC vents in new i-gen i20. Is it true ?

Hyundai are offering Rs. 20000 as exchange bonus. Honda is offering nothing.

Do I need to take a look at Figo, Punto and Swift ?

Welcome to TAI, there is no harm in test driving other car's as well Punto has one of the best Chassis in the hatchback segment but Petrol is little underpowered,
Can't believe Jazz is not carrying any discount's[surprise]

Thread Starter #3
Also, I just found that price of spare parts of Honda Jazz are too expensive compared to competition. Here it goes...
Jazz :
Air Filter : Rs. 442
Oil Filter : Rs. 158
Front Bumper (common hit spot) : Rs. 1995

i20 :
Air Filter : Rs. 345
Oil Filter : Rs. 85
Front Bumper (common hit spot) : Rs. 1309

All prices are approximate, however Jazz is leading in all catagories. Does this make Jazz very expensive to maintain ? If so, I have to scratch it off from my list [cry]

How is Figo compared to Jazz in terms of space ? If it is more or less equal, then I will buy facelift version of Figo which will be released in Diwali.

Last edited:
Also, I just found that price of spare parts of Honda Jazz are too expensive compared to competition. Here it goes...
Jazz :
Air Filter : Rs. 442
Oil Filter : Rs. 158
Front Bumper (common hit spot) : Rs. 1995

i20 :
Air Filter : Rs. 345
Oil Filter : Rs. 85
Front Bumper (common hit spot) : Rs. 1309

All prices are approximate, however Jazz is leading in all catagories. Does this make Jazz very expensive to maintain ? If so, I have to scratch it off from my list [cry]

How is Figo compared to Jazz in terms of space ? If it is more or less equal, then I will buy facelift version of Figo which will be released in Diwali.
We have quite a few Jazz owner's in this forum you can read their ownership report that will surely clear most of your doubts.
Figo is more or less has same space compared to Jazz,why dont you also check out Vista as it's a very good car and currently it's carrying a huge discount(to the tune of 60K)

Thread Starter #5
We have quite a few Jazz owner's in this forum you can read their ownership report that will surely clear most of your doubts.
Figo is more or less has same space compared to Jazz,why dont you also check out Vista as it's a very good car and currently it's carrying a huge discount(to the tune of 60K)
Here TATA after sales service is very bad. So I dropped it out of my list.

Plus like I said earlier I felt low end acceleration of Jazz is not as good as i20.

So none of cars except Punto high end offer rear AC vents ? Also, how does Polo and Punto fare in terms of rear space compared to Jazz ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Both Polo & Punto falls short in term's of rear legroom of Jazz.Did you check out Liva?

Regarding Liva, I hate the center console of speedometer. I checked out ownership forums but could not find topic of spare parts prices. Most of them at ownership forums have mentioned car is good when buying. I could not find information of cost to buyer after certain kms like servicing, parts replacement. Could you please help me find it ?

Last edited:
You dint mention whether you are looking for petrol or diesel. Assuming you want a petrol car, I would suggest you the Jazz. Stay away from Punto, Figo and Micra petrols.

The Jazz is the best petrol hatch you can buy today followed by the Swift. If you dont want the Jazz nor the Swift, then look at the Hyundai i20. But the Hyundai i20 1.2 is underpowered. i20 1.4 comes only in Automatic.

Thread Starter #11
You dint mention whether you are looking for petrol or diesel. Assuming you want a petrol car, I would suggest you the Jazz. Stay away from Punto, Figo and Micra petrols.

The Jazz is the best petrol hatch you can buy today followed by the Swift. If you dont want the Jazz nor the Swift, then look at the Hyundai i20. But the Hyundai i20 1.2 is underpowered. i20 1.4 comes only in Automatic.
I am looking at petrol. Jazz really looks good except no offers from Honda dealers, doubts over maintenance cost.

Hi there. I currently have an Alto Lxi. I have travelled 9800kms in 5 years. So I am looking for a premium hatchback as replacement. I am looking at i20, Jazz, Figo, Punto, Swift, Polo.

Following are my requirements in order of priority.
1. Kneeroom at the rear (for my parents)
2. Ride Quality
3. Mileage & after sales service/parts cost
4. Features

I was under the belief that Swift has worst rear space and i20 & Jazz has more. Today I took a test drive of i20 and Jazz. I felt Jazz was far more spacious than i20 even at the rear. I was disappointed by i20 rear space after I heard so much about it everywhere. I felt i20 more powerfull at first and second gears which is odd because Jazz is supposed to be more powerful.

One strange thing happened though. In both the showrooms I told that I am test driving some other cars. Both of them asked did I test drive Punto [roll]

Also, the delear at Hyundai told me that they have removed rear AC vents in new i-gen i20. Is it true ?

Hyundai are offering Rs. 20000 as exchange bonus. Honda is offering nothing.

Do I need to take a look at Figo, Punto and Swift ?
I would suggest you to go ahead with Jazz. It offers you an overall good package. If I am to choose a petrol premium hatch I would choose either honda Jazz or a Swift ZXi. If you are so concerned about after sales service and spare parts cost Swift ZXi can be another VFM choice.

Thread Starter #14
I would suggest you to go ahead with Jazz. It offers you an overall good package. If I am to choose a petrol premium hatch I would choose either honda Jazz or a Swift ZXi. If you are so concerned about after sales service and spare parts cost Swift ZXi can be another VFM choice.
Swift is great except for rear kneeroom.

Swift is great except for rear kneeroom.
If you consider rear legroom to be important Honda Jazz would be the best choice.
Swift of the older generations lacked thigh rests on the rear and legroom was also comparitivly low. But the new swift has improved a lot in the above aspects.
Better idea would be to take a test drive of both jazz and swift and choose the best one that suits you.

Top Bottom